Reason 10.4 Update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

24 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 May 2019
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
24 May 2019
As if I didnt already have enough devices! Like antic604 said earlier it would be nice if we had a way to hide REs and stock devices. The endless amount of browser scrolling gets a little much.
You know what I think just might be better? A favorites so that you can skip that mess (it's really annoying and I don't have as many RE/VST's as most! )

One thing though is you can right click on a track which I find at least a little less cluttered.
I still prefere a tagging system. I personally do not even care which synth or fx i choose. I just want to search for "analog saturation delay" and get what i need or "lovely pad synth crystal clear" and i get again what i want...I have the tags in my mind and make my decision by browsing manually which takes ages and sometimes i forget a good fitting device.
Reason12, Win10

mon

24 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 May 2019
OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
24 May 2019
As if I didnt already have enough devices! Like antic604 said earlier it would be nice if we had a way to hide REs and stock devices. The endless amount of browser scrolling gets a little much.
You know what I think just might be better? A favorites so that you can skip that mess (it's really annoying and I don't have as many RE/VST's as most! )

One thing though is you can right click on a track which I find at least a little less cluttered.
We already could have favorites folder by making our own list and putting the extensions and the VST we want inside it.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

RustyShakleforde

24 May 2019

I was messing with dune 3 in 10.4 a min ago and I noticed some audio glitches but just one bar of cpu flickering. When I deleted my instance of dune reason got real laggy, I've never experienced that before. I loaded spire and the sound was all messed up and choppy and laggy. I deleted spire then loaded Europa native then thor and same was happening. Cpu was jumping sporadically from 0 to full. Can anyone else replicate this?

RustyShakleforde

24 May 2019

Also, in terms of the update, always welcome. I wasn't that impressed with the sound of mono, but that's prob because I've been playing with legend recently. I love reason and realise with a bit processing it wil sound nicer.

Dunno tho, not to be ungrateful, adessing long standing, much requested sequencer enhancements would have been nicer. I see both sides but tend to feel like the previous poster who said they are just nickle and diming us.

Jumping back and forth from bitwig to reason I am usually frustrated with reasons sequencer, and I've been using that over ten years longer than I have bitwigs.

Different beasts I guess, but bitwig are nailing it right now and focusing on serious users wanting a cutting edge modern daw. Reason are all over the place with lots of tacky focus on beginners and dabblers. If people wanna make music they will learn. These dumbed down app gimicks and the marketing of props and others like ni is nickle and diming. I don't agree with the notion that these gimicks will get more people making music, I think they will get companies cheap bucks from people who'll drop it soon enough and more passionate users will be second thought after.

jappe

24 May 2019

boingy wrote:
24 May 2019
Social Exodus wrote:
24 May 2019

I have a Google Pixel 3 XL and I assure you it is most definitely not slow. At all. Runs circles around my buddy's iPhone X in fact and the camera is top shelf.

But that said, not sure Android is interested in making the audio better for recording, even though I wish they would. I think Android's target audience is more the "get things done in the real world" kind of person, or at least that's why I love it. As much as I might want Reason Compact to be available on Android, I am somewhat glad they don't go that way because if you try to please everyone, you please no one in the end. This is why Apple and Android sort of compliment one another, and users can choose based on their personality types.
Android is making improvements to the audio to reduce the (sometimes unpredictable) latency. However, those improvements will only be in the very latest versions of Android and will initially only run on the high-priced, high-spec tablets and phones. There are still new phones coming out with Android that is several flavours behind the "now", simply because those versions run better on lower spec hardware. So I think it will be a good long while before there is a large enough user base to tempt developers to port stuff to Android. Of course, if the app (or any other app) is good enough you could justify buying an iPad especially for that purpose, just like you buy a hardware synth.
Still, Caustic works.
I wonder if unpredictable latency would be a showstopper for non-realtime tasks, like patch design on Reason devices.
For me, patch design would be perfect on mobile let phone when commuting on train.
(patch design in the studio when trying to make music breaks my creative flow.)

So please props, if you can find any way to aid sound design on Android phones, that would be gr8.

scratchnsnifff

24 May 2019

eusti wrote:
23 May 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
23 May 2019
While this is awesome stuff, I don’t like how I’ll have to dish out another 10$ possibly 20$.

To even edit anything on the new devices ok have to pay more?
I would have figured it would be 10$ for the ability to edit any presets within Reason compact. Can anyone confirm that it’s 10$ per device? Or is it 10$ for both?
$ 10 each of the new devices. Forgot how much it was to be able to edit Europa...

D.
I just noticed the new bass synth has such a weird way of doing FM

Only via the filter env. I wish these mobile synths could at least allow one LFO and one env. It would be cool if they looked at FL mobile. Those mobile synths have lots of modulation + automation :)

In hindsight 20$ isn’t allll that much, but paying 10 every time will add up quick. If it goes full bore, than this could get out of hand expensive. Like paying the full price of Reason, that’s if they eventually allow RE to mobile porting
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

QVprod

24 May 2019

I feel like I should place this here for perspective. I get it we have a relatively older membership base here, but there really is a mobile music market. Some of those people may very well transition from a clearly limited phone app to a more complete solution on a computer. The idea that Props is putting out a product that no one wants is clearly not true, and any DAW company should be pursuing beginners cause they're more likely to spend money than those of us 'veterans" who already have what we need.

Anyway here a video of a kid who's literally making hits on his phone with chart topping artists.

Loque

24 May 2019

QVprod wrote:
24 May 2019
I feel like I should place this here for perspective. I get it we have a relatively older membership base here, but there really is a mobile music market. Some of those people may very well transition from a clearly limited phone app to a more complete solution on a computer. The idea that Props is putting out a product that no one wants is clearly not true, and any DAW company should be pursuing beginners cause they're more likely to spend money than those of us 'veterans" who already have what we need.

Anyway here a video of a kid who's literally making hits on his phone with chart topping artists.

Yep, this is the future... Sitting in a full equipped studio and making music on a mobile phone... Looks like a stupid Apple and Garage Band commercial.

But i agree, that a easy worklow between devices is always good...if it works...
Reason12, Win10

QVprod

25 May 2019

Loque wrote:
24 May 2019
QVprod wrote:
24 May 2019

Yep, this is the future... Sitting in a full equipped studio and making music on a mobile phone... Looks like a stupid Apple and Garage Band commercial.

But i agree, that a easy worklow between devices is always good...if it works...
You know the same could be said of laptops right? If I was in a studio with a bunch of synths, I'd probably still use Reason and VSTs and ignore them :lol:

Loque

25 May 2019

QVprod wrote:
25 May 2019
Loque wrote:
24 May 2019

You know the same could be said of laptops right? If I was in a studio with a bunch of synths, I'd probably still use Reason and VSTs and ignore them :lol:
Good point.
Reason12, Win10

Jackjackdaw

25 May 2019

Pop music hits are always going to be made on whatever young people can get their hands on , if that's an electric guitar in the 60s an mpc in the 90s or iPhone today. It's the nature of pop music. Young people provide the spark and older people provide expensive recording equipment.

Eprom

25 May 2019

QVprod wrote:
24 May 2019

Never heard of him :lol:
:reason: Reason user since Ver. 1.01(2001) :reason:
- I read everything, but rarely post on forums -

motuscott

25 May 2019

jappe wrote:
24 May 2019
For me, patch design would be perfect on mobile let phone when commuting on train.
Yeah I can't really see composing in a situation like that, but sound design while sardined on the uptown 6 train might work.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

chimp_spanner

25 May 2019

Eprom wrote:
25 May 2019
QVprod wrote:
24 May 2019

He's from The Internet (that's the name of the band). And they're fantastic. Electronic Neo-Soul/RnB.

Creativemind

25 May 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
23 May 2019
I'm not a compact user, but for the full version why do these devices need to exist? Subtractor with filter overdrive would have been nice. Redrum with HPF/LPF and modern envelopes would be nice.

What about Kong...does anyone remember that Reason had the beginnings of a proper drum designer? It's still stuck in 2010 with none of the envelope/filter/sample edit features that these underpowered toy instruments have gotten lately.

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." -Ron Swanson
These devices are great yeah but I'm with you. Plenty of devices could do with updates.

May I ask, what is filter overdrive?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

25 May 2019

Eprom wrote:
25 May 2019
QVprod wrote:
24 May 2019

It's a big world, you can't know about everybody. There's plenty of Electronic legends that I know nothing about. Nonetheless, J Cole and Kendrick Lamar (artists he's produced for on his phone) are 2 of the biggest Hip hop artists in the US and probably the world right now.

Eprom

25 May 2019

QVprod wrote:
25 May 2019
Eprom wrote:
25 May 2019

It's a big world, you can't know about everybody. There's plenty of Electronic legends that I know nothing about. Nonetheless, J Cole and Kendrick Lamar (artists he's produced for on his phone) are 2 of the biggest Hip hop artists in the US and probably the world right now.
Don't take it too seriously, It was just a joke. :puf_bigsmile:

Eprom

25 May 2019

PS. I now suddenly realise that when I bought my first version of Reason these guys probably weren't even born. :o

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2019

Creativemind wrote:
25 May 2019
May I ask, what is filter overdrive?
distortion in the feedback loop (resonance) of the filter, like with Thor.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

25 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 May 2019
Pop music hits are always going to be made on whatever young people can get their hands on , if that's an electric guitar in the 60s an mpc in the 90s or iPhone today. It's the nature of pop music. Young people provide the spark and older people provide expensive recording equipment.
Or a "toy" app in the 2000s, aka "Reason"…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

25 May 2019

selig wrote:
25 May 2019
Jackjackdaw wrote:
25 May 2019
;)
For real. I was running Reason versions 1 to 4 and Digital Performer on my 450 MHz, Power Mac G4 Cube. Not as powerful as most phones nowadays...

Jackjackdaw

25 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
25 May 2019
selig wrote:
25 May 2019

;)
For real. I was running Reason versions 1 to 4 and Digital Performer on my 450 MHz, Power Mac G4 Cube. Not as powerful as most phones nowadays...
This is why my mind boggles that they cant get their shit together in app land to make stuff that isn't hopelessly limited.

Data_Shrine

25 May 2019

I'm digging the new drum machine. A really sweet thing !

Anyone figured out if there's a way to turn off the internal compressor ?

BRIGGS

25 May 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
25 May 2019

Crank the threshold all the way up.
r11s

Data_Shrine

25 May 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
25 May 2019
Data_Shrine wrote:
25 May 2019

Crank the threshold all the way up.
Oh, right ! :thumbs_up:

• Information