Reason Compact 2.0

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Loque

24 May 2019

Ikes! Those screenshots on PH page look so washed and blurry...Did they cut it from the video like we did?

Reason12, Win10

diminished
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

Hi there Osiris, you cute little sampler for Reason Compact..
A few of the many design iterations that led up to the new drum machine - Rytmik.
I hope you will get picked up again and live a real sampler life.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

24 May 2019

diminished wrote:
24 May 2019
A few of the many design iterations that led up to the new drum machine - Rytmik.
Managing samples, cutting, fading, cropping on a mobile phone? Naaa....the decision was right for the phone, but not for the desktop.
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

24 May 2019

Loque wrote:
24 May 2019
diminished wrote:
24 May 2019

Managing samples, cutting, fading, cropping on a mobile phone? Naaa....the decision was right for the phone, but not for the desktop.
I mentioned this in the other thread, but Koala is awesome for this! :puf_smile:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 May 2019

They just said on Twitter that they are planning for Android too, once it works well enough...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

VariableX

24 May 2019

Ok last night i made a little tune on my phone...
Exported it to email.
I just logged on to Reason to make a new tune with some trials I have going and noticed the email.
Double clicked the attachment and voila!
OMG this is pretty big for me, I have a cool af bassline, beat and lead looping in reason, with all the midi there!
Its great! Interestingly the Europa lead is using the Arp player triggered by single midi notes to play the notes.

Wow, can any other DAW do this?

Fantastic!

But I have been distracted from my trials, maybe get to them later 😂

PeterP

25 May 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
24 May 2019
Wow, can any other DAW do this?
Yes, Cubase, Logic and FL Studio can do that too.

It's nice to see Reason join the group.

craven

25 May 2019

it's very cool to finally have a sketch pad on mobile (yeah, apple only). With airdrop it's even faster. One click, boom - you can edit the loop in Reason. The individual devices are too expensive. Reason compact is more than 30 bucks that way! Yet, I'd like to see more - and let us record automation in the app as well!
:ugeek:

joeyluck

25 May 2019

craven wrote:
25 May 2019
it's very cool to finally have a sketch pad on mobile (yeah, apple only). With airdrop it's even faster. One click, boom - you can edit the loop in Reason. The individual devices are too expensive. Reason compact is more than 30 bucks that way! Yet, I'd like to see more - and let us record automation in the app as well!
I'd still argue that unlike Korg Gadget and other apps, there is no upfront cost. The app is free. The instruments are free to use along with the factory sound bank, and you do have some flexibility with the macro controls available (you only have to pay to edit and save patches). You can even demo the other panels to see what you would get if you pay. And then of course, there is no cost to export to Reason 10, so you can edit and change patches and even the instruments there... Something like Korg Gadget, which yes does include some gadgets in the upfront cost, doesn't allow you to demo the other available gadgets that are sold separately for $9.99-$14.99. So I think it's all pretty reasonable. "Reasonable" would have been a good app name by the way lol.

tony10000

26 May 2019

So, what does it REALLY cost for full functionality? I hate all those "free" iOS apps with "in-app purchases" and limited functionality. And that seems to be the majority of apps these days.

craven

26 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
25 May 2019
craven wrote:
25 May 2019
I'd still argue that unlike Korg Gadget and other apps, there is no upfront cost. The app is free. The instruments are free to use along with the factory sound bank, and you do have some flexibility with the macro controls available (you only have to pay to edit and save patches). You can even demo the other panels to see what you would get if you pay. And then of course, there is no cost to export to Reason 10, so you can edit and change patches and even the instruments there... Something like Korg Gadget, which yes does include some gadgets in the upfront cost, doesn't allow you to demo the other available gadgets that are sold separately for $9.99-$14.99. So I think it's all pretty reasonable. "Reasonable" would have been a good app name by the way lol.
yes, you are right Joey, one can use it as is and the devices are fully unlocked in Reason. Those that want to mangle the sounds on the go have to shed out for the devices. Development costs money and why should we get everything for free, right? As you point out, the devices are not overpriced in comparison. So don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that Reason Compact is slowly becoming a thing. It's just another 30 bucks for the full experience and I can't afford that at the moment with the other spendings on Reason. So I guess that is the real issue, haha.
:ugeek:

Djstarski

26 May 2019

I not being funny , but why wouldn't propellerhead make a video tutorial where someone is using Compact and making a banging track . We`re becoming very visual these days . They have these people talking about how good it is . Show me how good it is please , dont just tell me . my 2 cents

sinusfiction

26 May 2019

Just tried it out and what I really liked was the ease of getting a track to Reason with Airdrop on a Mac. That's some great user experience!
New album Who Needs Privacy on Spotify or Soundcloud

Aosta

27 May 2019

nvermind
Tend the flame

Hanna

27 May 2019

PeterP wrote:
24 May 2019
I tried it for a couple of hours yesterday.

1) Is there a manual somewhere?

2) How can I rename the song ideas?

3) Is there a way to make the cursor follow the song if the clip is more than 1 bar?

4) Can I easily clear out one row in the drum machine clip editor? Let's say I want to delete the "toms" and "percussion" but keep the rest.

Some bugs I found:

1) It freezes every time I move back from a running song to the song list. Have to restart the app. Luckily the song is not lost.

2) The names in the drum machine clip editor don't match the sound. The Kick sound is at the bottom but it's written over the top row.

Overall I like the built in devices and sounds but the "sequencer" part isn't that easy to work with compared to GarageBand.
Hi!

1. There is no manual for the app but on each of the instruments panel there is explainer-texts about the panel so you can learn more about the synths and the drum machine. Just click the question-mark to the upper left.

2. Slide the project to the left and you can rename, duplicate or remove your project.

3. Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that it should automatically move the sequencer when the timeline passes the first bar?

4. Unfortunately, you cannot easily remove a row

Regarding bugs:
1. We haven't seen this during testing. Is it easy to reproduce? Do you get it every time?

2. Bug fix on it's way. The bug is on iPad but is fine in iPhone.

Best regards, Hanna (Mobile Product Manager, PH)

Loque

27 May 2019

Hanna wrote:
27 May 2019
...Hanna (Mobile Product Manager, PH)
Nice to see you here. Welcome to ReasonTalk, Hanna.
Reason12, Win10

Resonator

27 May 2019

$30 is a lot for what they’re offering. But when the IAPs go on sale for half price, I’ll buy the new instruments like I bought Europa Compact.

Hanna

27 May 2019

RDS wrote:
23 May 2019
The names of the drums are in the wrong order, that is kick sounds like perc and so on when you're in the seqencing page. (Ipad 2018)
Hi!

We are working to fix it, we are aware that there is a bug for iPad in the drum grid. The names have been swapped.
Hopefully, a fix coming at the end of next week.

Best regards, Hanna (Mobile Product Manager, PH)

Aosta

27 May 2019

Hanna wrote:
27 May 2019
PeterP wrote:
24 May 2019

1) It freezes every time I move back from a running song to the song list. Have to restart the app. Luckily the song is not lost.

Regarding bugs:
1. We haven't seen this during testing. Is it easy to reproduce? Do you get it every time?
Hi Hanna,
I get this every time too, it just freezes saying 'loading'
Using IOS 12.3.1
Tend the flame

Faastwalker

27 May 2019

Resonator wrote:
27 May 2019
$30 is a lot for what they’re offering. But when the IAPs go on sale for half price, I’ll buy the new instruments like I bought Europa Compact.
Did the Europa IAP go on sale at some point? Because it's AUS$45 so far to unlock these 3 devices & I've NEVER paid that much for any iOS App before! AUS$30 for the whole thing tops. I'd add new stuff as & when it becomes available & if it's worth it. But AUD$45 to unlock the 3 current devices? A few more & we'd be getting on for AUS$100!! :shock:

VariableX

27 May 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
27 May 2019
Resonator wrote:
27 May 2019
Did the Europa IAP go on sale at some point? Because it's AUS$45 so far to unlock these 3 devices & I've NEVER paid that much for any iOS App before! AUS$30 for the whole thing tops. I'd add new stuff as & when it becomes available & if it's worth it. But AUD$45 to unlock the 3 current devices? A few more & we'd be getting on for AUS$100!! :shock:
It sucks how weak the Aus dollar is atm 🙁
Still i think this is a great app, to unlock all the features of the whole thing id pay $20(aus) then $5 per any new devices. I won't pay any more, but I do like it!

two shoes

27 May 2019

if you're interested in mobile music apps you should be aware of (in addition to reason compact) auxy, caustic, and korg gadgets. I'm sure most everyone is familiar with auxy and gadgets, but caustic is a relatively undiscovered gem, in part due to single cell software's (one guy) indie design sensibilities. it uses a device/rack paradigm like reason, but it's a much deeper app than you might realize at first blush. it has a built-in sample editor with elastique time stretching and a pcm synth device for playing your found sounds, you can freeze any rack instrument you've built to .wav, there's a fully modular rack device, etc, etc - it's more full featured than some desktop daws (i won't mention any names). there's been radio silence from the person behind single cell for a coupla years now last time i checked, but it's an amazing little app that surprisingly few people are aware of. did i mention there's a bunch of $0.99 - $1.99 add on packs for it in the apps stores? some of the drum machine packs include sampled hardware kits that i've never come across anywhere else. i think the license for caustic itself is $10 or $12, something like that.

i personally feel like Propellerheads shouldn't even be marketing a mobile app right now. for one, you gonna do auxy or gadgets better than they do it? in the next year or two? for two, it's offensive to me and many others who are dedicated to and have spent lots of money on the desktop Reason platform that Props would divert resources from Reason at such a critical time in it's evolution to build a $50 mobile app that was broken when it was released and now, on version 2.0, isn't remotely competitive with the stuff it's competing directly against. tidy up your core product by finishing the list of a hundred things you were supposed to do ten years ago then talk to me about your mobile ambitions.

the next five years are make or break for Reason - if it goes poorly it won't continue to be a major desktop daw platform developed by propellerheads or maybe anyone else. yet Props have plenty of time to build redundant, fourth or fifth best option mobile apps that no one asked for and no one who's bothered to audition the other options will use (but hey look, it's got a flat gui!). the premise is what? that opening mobile patches on reason desktop is what it really needs to survive and prosper long term? Props haven't waited long to show us where their real priorities lay since the change in leadership was announced.

VariableX

28 May 2019

two shoes wrote:
27 May 2019
if you're interested in mobile music apps you should be aware of (in addition to reason compact) auxy, caustic, and korg gadgets. I'm sure most everyone is familiar with auxy and gadgets, but caustic is a relatively undiscovered gem, in part due to single cell software's (one guy) indie design sensibilities. it uses a device/rack paradigm like reason, but it's a much deeper app than you might realize at first blush. it has a built-in sample editor with elastique time stretching and a pcm synth device for playing your found sounds, you can freeze any rack instrument you've built to .wav, there's a fully modular rack device, etc, etc - it's more full featured than some desktop daws (i won't mention any names). there's been radio silence from the person behind single cell for a coupla years now last time i checked, but it's an amazing little app that surprisingly few people are aware of. did i mention there's a bunch of $0.99 - $1.99 add on packs for it in the apps stores? some of the drum machine packs include sampled hardware kits that i've never come across anywhere else. i think the license for caustic itself is $10 or $12, something like that.

i personally feel like Propellerheads shouldn't even be marketing a mobile app right now. for one, you gonna do auxy or gadgets better than they do it? in the next year or two? for two, it's offensive to me and many others who are dedicated to and have spent lots of money on the desktop Reason platform that Props would divert resources from Reason at such a critical time in it's evolution to build a $50 mobile app that was broken when it was released and now, on version 2.0, isn't remotely competitive with the stuff it's competing directly against. tidy up your core product by finishing the list of a hundred things you were supposed to do ten years ago then talk to me about your mobile ambitions.

the next five years are make or break for Reason - if it goes poorly it won't continue to be a major desktop daw platform developed by propellerheads or maybe anyone else. yet Props have plenty of time to build redundant, fourth or fifth best option mobile apps that no one asked for and no one who's bothered to audition the other options will use (but hey look, it's got a flat gui!). the premise is what? that opening mobile patches on reason desktop is what it really needs to survive and prosper long term? Props haven't waited long to show us where their real priorities lay since the change in leadership was announced.
I had Caustic years ago as it was the only thing around for android, i thought it was pretty cr4p to be honest, wasnt long ( well two year contract ) until i was back on an apple phone.

Steedus
Competition Winner

28 May 2019

auxy was great until they switched to a subscription model. stopped using it right away.

Faastwalker

28 May 2019

two shoes wrote:
27 May 2019
I personally feel like Propellerheads shouldn't even be marketing a mobile app right now.
As a Reason & iOS user I'm really pleased to see Propellerhead Apps appearing. They have a dedicated team for mobile development. So it's not eating into Reason development. It's separate.

I have to review what I said about the price earlier as well - I've just checked out Korg Gadget on the iPhone for the first time in a long, long time. It's a whopping AUS$62.99!! :shock: You get a lot in there but there are still a lot of IAPs costing from $AUD14.99 - AUS$22.99. So Reason Compact's IAPs are directly comparable price wise & seeing as the App is 'free' to download ........ suddenly it doesn't look as pricey as I originally thought + the integration with Reason is what this is all about for Reason users. Looks like it's back on the menu again.
Steedus wrote:
28 May 2019
Auxy was great until they switched to a subscription model. stopped using it right away.

The Subscription model sucks. Do they think we don't have enough monthly outgoings already?! Bloody crazy. I'm no fan of IAPs. But I'd take them over the subscription model any day of the week.

• Information