Deleting sections of audio tracks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Thousand Ways

20 May 2019

Hi

How do you do "destructive" editing on an audio track?

If I cut part of an audio track using the razor tool, then delete the section I don't need, it's nevertheless still there. But presumably this makes the file size larger. Is there a way to permanently remove the not-needed sections and thereby reduce the overall size of the file? I can't find an explanation in the Reason manual. There's this section –
http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason83/ ... tml#679361
– but the option to “Delete Unused Recordings” remains greyed-out in the menu.

Any thoughts appreciated.

mashers

21 May 2019

Save as optimised. This will remove from the Reason file the parts of audio clips which you have removed with the razor tool.

LudvigC
Reason Studios

21 May 2019

Thousand Ways wrote:
20 May 2019
Hi

How do you do "destructive" editing on an audio track?

If I cut part of an audio track using the razor tool, then delete the section I don't need, it's nevertheless still there. But presumably this makes the file size larger. Is there a way to permanently remove the not-needed sections and thereby reduce the overall size of the file? I can't find an explanation in the Reason manual. There's this section –
http://docs.propellerheads.se/reason83/ ... tml#679361
– but the option to “Delete Unused Recordings” remains greyed-out in the menu.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Here's how this works:

Razoring or resizing an audio clip is, as you've seen, not destructive - the audio recording in the clip is still there in its full length. The file won't become larger by this, but it won't shrink either.

If you want the audio recording to only be as long as the clip:

1. Select the clip and select Bounce Clip to New Recording from the Edit or context menu.
This creates a new audio recording.

2. Delete the original, longer audio recording. You can do this manually or by selecting "Delete Unused Recordings"

3. To make the song file as small as possible, select Save and Optimize from the File menu. This is needed because all audio data lives in the song document file - when you delete recordings this may leave unused portions in the file. "Optimize" in this case means repacking the file so that there are no empty bits that takes disk space.

/ LudvigC

antic604

21 May 2019

LudvigC wrote:
21 May 2019
2. Delete the original, longer audio recording. You can do this manually or by selecting "Delete Unused Recordings"
Manual implies this only applies to comp edit. Does it? Or is it applicable to non-comped clips as well?

reddust

21 May 2019

I think there is some similar function in Reason as "consolidate" in Ableton Live, which removes any content besides the length of the selected clip, but I don't know if it works for audio tracks as well, I know I've used it recently but cannot remember exactly the name of that function now, I can check it later at home.

tiker01

21 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
21 May 2019
LudvigC wrote:
21 May 2019
Manual implies this only applies to comp edit. Does it? Or is it applicable to non-comped clips as well?
When you bounce the audio to new recording it will add a new comp row containing the audio visible in the audio clip. That is why you can delete the unused parts by deleting all other comp rows.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Thousand Ways

22 May 2019

Great replies; thanks so much.

• Information