If I Have a Basic Understanding of Subtractive Synthesis.....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
aegisninja

18 May 2019

Ok, so here's the deal I mainly compose using orchestral sample instruments, but lately have been thinking about doing something similar to the first Mass Effect OST. I did the first few modules of Syntorial earlier this year at school, and used the Subtractor for a few projects; am I missing out on anything if I now jump straight into Europa instead of fully exploring the Subtractor or any of the other synths? I also have the full Kontakt version of Aeon which I'm dying to explore, but kind of feel like I should get my feet wet with more actual synths first.

Vesterager

18 May 2019

I say stick with Subtractor, Malstrom and Thor in that order. After exploring those branch out a bit.
I found this helpful

https://www.soundonsound.com/search/art ... ect%3A8106

diminished
Competition Winner

18 May 2019

I don't understand why you're asking. Missing out on what exactly? Noone is testing your subtractive synthesis skills before allowing you access to Europa or Aeon or whatever. Get inspired while exploring and make the music you'd like to make, have fun while doing so. In the end, it's about the music and not about gear or skill or knowledge. You may use a wooden flute before you know how it's making sound. Plus: learning by doing!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Jackjackdaw

18 May 2019

Just play man, then read the manual and watch a video to see what the hell a spectral filter is. Then open some presets and start turning things off to see what they were doing to the sound. It's a very easily accessible synth when you know what each bit does.

MannequinRaces

18 May 2019

Jump in the water’s fine. Learn as you go. Learn from presets and tweaking things. No need to become an expert on subtractive synthesis first. So many synth components translate to other synths so once you learn one thing you can apply that knowledge across many synths.

Undistraction

18 May 2019

I think you'll learn a lot more sticking to the Subtractor in the short term. If you learn it inside out that will put you in a really good position to learn other synths. It will also give you a really good base in subtractive synthesis which will help you learn and understand other types of synthesis.

It's very easy (and a lot of fun) to tweak away and see what happens, but if you learn what things do bit by bit, you'll find you'll start being able to create the sound you want rather than hoping to stumble across it.

Oquasec

18 May 2019

If you learn syntheiss properly you will be able to hop from synth to synth quickly.
Do not focus on the synth itself, focus on what type of synth it is and go from there.
If you know the theory behind each type of synth you can use any synth if it's the type you know.
If you truly learn subtractive synthesis you have access to every subtractive synth for example.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

esselfortium

18 May 2019

Europa is great and a lot of fun. I don't think there's any need to limit yourself and miss out on all the useful convenience features of modern synths.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

scratchnsnifff

20 May 2019

While many appear to learn subtractor, I highly recommend Thor, because you have some understanding of subtractor. Thor will further that understanding, because it combines wavetables, better FM, and you can get to know signal routing by following the white lines and buttons. (Serial filtering or parallel filtering)

I think Thor is the most underrated synth out there.
It’s so close to being a perfect synth imo, the semi modular architecture lets you connect audio through it and use it as a FM modulator. Letting you use something like malström to FM all 3 oscillators :)

Also using malström as a FM modulator into Thor is great due to the various ways of using the malström outputs. Direct output per oscillator, which is perfect for sending the raw oscillator signal

Subtractor is great for the extreme basics, but the phase difference settings are where the tractor never dies. (Pretty sure the phase diff knobs adds a copy of the waveform and when moving the knob it adjusts the phase of the copied oscillator shapes or something)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

mashers

21 May 2019

If you understand oscillators, filters, envelopes and modulation then you will be able to understand Europa.

manisnotabird

21 May 2019

Tons of people who made amazing, interesting, innovative music were technical ignoramuses. Sometimes I wish I could unlearn stuff.

VariableX

21 May 2019

manisnotabird wrote:
21 May 2019
Tons of people who made amazing, interesting, innovative music were technical ignoramuses. Sometimes I wish I could unlearn stuff.
made me laugh!

Oquasec

22 May 2019

Trying to incorporate theory into your beats will not do much but hinder you while trying to do things.
Theory helps you keep track of your musical data.
Theory helps you understand what you are making.
You decide when & when not to add certain elements into your mix.
Producer/Programmer.

QVprod

22 May 2019

If you can use Subtractor on a basic level, you can use Europa. Europa is very easy to use.

Oberlai

12 Jun 2019

If you have a basic understanding of subtractive synthesis, and you are set on using Reason as your DAW, it's time to read the manual. Start with Subtractor, then Malström, then Thor, then whatever comes next for you. You'll learn lots of new things, features and tricks that are useful and important in unlocking their potential, and it's enjoyable reading. It doesn't take very long - it's time well spent.

Sure you can sit down and fiddle with some software and after some time you'll think you know it inside-out. Read the manual and be surprised :) Knowledge is power.

antic604

12 Jun 2019

Oberlai wrote:
12 Jun 2019
If you have a basic understanding of subtractive synthesis, and you are set on using Reason as your DAW, it's time to read the manual. Start with Subtractor, then Malström, then Thor
Or just go here:

Subtractor: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qwYM_0Db4n

Thor: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... sCXK8RQmT5

Oquasec

12 Jun 2019

What will help you learn synthesis:
The design of the synths is the instructions.
The help button gives you the whole manual that explains everything and takes bout 8 hours to read almost all of it.
Propellerhead's youtube channel can take you weeks to finish watching.
Producer/Programmer.

Oberlai

14 Jun 2019

Youtube is great if you can find good vids, that's not always easy :p Oh well, I'd read the manual either way, then you won't miss anything. Doesn't feel like a chore, it's well-written and learning is fun. For me, the manual is not just a reference in case I get stuck, I've read it cover to cover already :)

• Information