People Requesting a New Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scratchnsnifff

20 May 2019

groggy1 wrote:
17 May 2019
Personally, I don’t need a rewrite.

Just want linked clips, and ability to quantize the LENGTH of notes (that drives me crazy)

I quite like the flow that the sequencer has.
FL and ableton both allow this, and its a quick way to let your melodies go on and on,

Or it would be cool to have the auto copy when dragging, but when holding shift and selecting where you want by dragging the clip wouldn’t copy where the shift dragging was placed idk if I’m giving my idea justice but auto copy/paste is amazing especially for EDM drums and chords.

Also I love how in FL you can click and swipe notes across the midi editor. If reason implemented that, it would be nice to see a hot key combo click. So you can single out a specific note and fill all of the notes. Or control click how ever many notes and swipe and it auto fills

Make Reason excel
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

antic604

20 May 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 May 2019
groggy1 wrote:
17 May 2019
Just want linked clips, and ability to quantize the LENGTH of notes (that drives me crazy)
FL and ableton both allow this, and its a quick way to let your melodies go on and on,
Live doesn't have alias / linked clips, though.

scratchnsnifff

20 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
20 May 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 May 2019

Live doesn't have alias / linked clips, though.
I must have misunderstood,

When I’m in the traditional sequencer mode in ableton and hold the cursor over a midi clip or audio clip’s top right hand corner and a bracket appears. When dragging the clip, the data is quickly distributed along the timeline.

sdst
Competition Winner

20 May 2019

I like Reason Sequencer, way better than ableton or FL nightmare

jjrh

20 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
20 May 2019
You can Alt+click on those small triangles next to track's header to collapse / expand all tracks at once. Simply collapse all, expand the one you want to edit and zoom in. Not perfect, but workable.
That's the real complaint - there are work around's for just about everything but they are usually not ideal. I see screenshots of features in Studio One and other DAW's and can't help but be envious. Stuff that I can do but takes a frustrating amount of time.

antic604

20 May 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 May 2019
When I’m in the traditional sequencer mode in ableton and hold the cursor over a midi clip or audio clip’s top right hand corner and a bracket appears. When dragging the clip, the data is quickly distributed along the timeline.
Oh, that's just clip looping. You can't make a pause (silence) in such a sequence or insert another clip. It's useful for sure, but not really alias / linked clips :)

Creativemind

20 May 2019

Magnus wrote:
20 May 2019
Creativemind wrote:
18 May 2019

Good point actually. You're right.

What I will say though, you can select the note length to be the same as the grid and do it that way but a keyboard shortcut would be the most ideal.
I've just looked into this today and found out that both Logic Pro 9 and Logic Pro X still have no easy way to quantize note off either. I know Pro Tools has this option:

Given Logic doesn't have it, it seems like Reason isn't too behind in not having this feature....yet.
Well you said Logic Pro 9. Logic is now on version 10.4.4 (I think) so there's been 3 or 4 versions or something since then. Have you checked in the Functions Menu in the Piano Roll? I know you're not on 10 (or if anyone else can check). Functions - Midi Transform...I've attached a pic.
Attachments
Logic Midi Transform Menu.JPG
Logic Midi Transform Menu.JPG (48.51 KiB) Viewed 932 times
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Vyckeil

21 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
20 May 2019
When you right-click on a clip, there's option to "add label" or something along the lines, which ...ads an editable label on top of the clip.

You can Alt+click on those small triangles next to track's header to collapse / expand all tracks at once. Simply collapse all, expand the one you want to edit and zoom in. Not perfect, but workable.
I'm aware of those, and that not what I'm asking, at all.

The label feature is clunky and almost useless. I can't type more than a couple of characters before it hides the rest of the note, and the note is attached to a clip which is terrible. If you've ever used ProTools you'll know what I mean.

The little triangle hides everything, not what I want. I'd like to expand vertically only certain tracks, not the whole sequencer at the same time, and I certainly don't want to minimize them to the point where I barely have a few pixels to select the clips. Again, if you've used ProTools you'll know exactly what I mean.

Vyckeil

21 May 2019

Vyckeil wrote:
21 May 2019
antic604 wrote:
20 May 2019
When you right-click on a clip, there's option to "add label" or something along the lines, which ...ads an editable label on top of the clip.

I'm aware of those, and that is not what I'm asking, at all.

The label feature is clunky and almost useless. I can't type more than a couple of characters before it hides the rest of the note, and the note is attached to a clip which is terrible. If you've ever used ProTools you'll know what I mean.

The little triangle hides everything, not what I want. I'd like to expand vertically only certain tracks, not the whole sequencer at the same time, and I certainly don't want to minimize them to the point where I barely have a few pixels to select the clips. Again, if you've used ProTools you'll know exactly what I mean.
Last edited by Vyckeil on 22 May 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

21 May 2019

Vyckeil wrote:
21 May 2019
antic604 wrote:
20 May 2019

Yeah sometimes you don't realise how handy something is till you use another daw. Like when I used FL Studio and had "Cloned" or "Aliased" clips, it's so damn useful and saves so much time. It remembers the clip label, the clip colour and all the midi information contained within the clip, everything about that clip essentially and then when going back to Reason it was like man, this feels years behind now. An analogy would be like using contactless card payments at the supermarket checkout and then going into another supermarket and having to insert your card, wait for the thing to come up and key in your pin number etc etc.

If you decide to change a couple of notes in a lead riff or decide you're gonna make that a G major instead of an Em for instance and you've already pasted in about 20 clips of it in that track, you then have to remember where all the clips are on the sequencer (as they won't necessarily be in one continuous row) as there will be gaps. That's very time consuming.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Magnus

21 May 2019

Creativemind wrote:
20 May 2019
Magnus wrote:
20 May 2019

I've just looked into this today and found out that both Logic Pro 9 and Logic Pro X still have no easy way to quantize note off either. I know Pro Tools has this option:

Given Logic doesn't have it, it seems like Reason isn't too behind in not having this feature....yet.
Well you said Logic Pro 9. Logic is now on version 10.4.4 (I think) so there's been 3 or 4 versions or something since then. Have you checked in the Functions Menu in the Piano Roll? I know you're not on 10 (or if anyone else can check). Functions - Midi Transform...I've attached a pic.
It's still the same set of MIDI Transform commands from Logic 9. They're listed here https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13163?lo ... cale=en_US The final one 'Quantize Note Length' sort of works, but it's a pain to use and does not work properly for eighths and sixteenths in the same pass.

antic604

21 May 2019

Vyckeil wrote:
21 May 2019
Sorry. I'm not saying they're perfect equivalents of features you're looking for, just workarounds you - and others reading this - might not be aware of (many people don't know about labels or Alt+click).

electrofux

21 May 2019

All i am waiting for is a Clip Launching view of some sorts like many other DAW nowadays have.

antic604

21 May 2019

electrofux wrote:
21 May 2019
All i am waiting for is a Clip Launching view of some sorts like many other DAW nowadays have.
Not a lot is missing to be able use players like Sequences to achieve this.
But apparently there's not enough demand for it :(
antic604 wrote:
16 May 2019
Hi there,

So while enjoying using Sequences I thought I write to you with an idea of how it might evolve in the future to cater to people looking for Live/Bitwig workflow in Reason. My solution would be 2-fold:
1) to add 2+ CV sequencers to accompany every MIDI pattern - easy enough, I think
2) to build a Pattern Launcher RE, that'd basically connect via CV to Sequences and trigger specified pattern with set quantization, so that playback remains in time no matter how imprecisely user triggers it

This way we could have a singe Pattern Launcher RE that's driving up to 8 Sequences, each of which would drive instruments and FX (via said CV sequencers). The buttons on the Pattern Launcher RE could be remote-mappable or - even better - triggered by finger on a touch screen.

I made of picture of how such setup could look like:

What you think? Is such thing even possible? :)

Kind regards,
Artur

scratchnsnifff

21 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
20 May 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
20 May 2019
Oh, that's just clip looping. You can't make a pause (silence) in such a sequence or insert another clip. It's useful for sure, but not really alias / linked clips :)
Haha here I was thinking i won that,

Can you post or find a video showing what you mean? Lol even having the amazing ness of ableton, I’m still finding that I just wish Reason had those modern features. ( see the feature request forum)
At least having a new guy in charge leaves the possibility that we will get some new changes

Undistraction

23 May 2019

antic604 wrote:
20 May 2019
Undistraction wrote:
19 May 2019
- remove blocks
Just don't use them. You can even disable visibility of Blocks track in the upper menus somewhere. Why remove something other people enjoy using?? :shock:
Undistraction wrote:
19 May 2019
- better integration of tools
What does that even mean?
Not sure if you've noticed, but there is a tools window. It feels like it was designed by Microsoft around 2003. Have a look in the menu at the top of the screen. You'll probably find some other things you've never noticed.

• Information