RX2 size compression via ReFill Packer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Magnus

13 May 2019

Does anyone know if there are any disk space benefits to putting 100s of RX2 files inside a ReFill via the ReFill Packer?

I'm not going to bother wasting my time packing them all if it doesn't gain any disk space, as I would lose the ability to easily open said RX2 files in ReCycle if I pack them and then delete the originals.

I know WAV and AIFF files are considerably compressed by a ReFill but turning a WAV or AIFF into an RX2 already makes it take up less space than the original.

Can anyone with experience of this advise if 100s of RX2 inside a ReFill would take up less disk space?

Biolumin3sc3nt

13 May 2019

I Wouldn't

Magnus

13 May 2019

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
13 May 2019
I Wouldn't
OK cool, cheers!

Heigen5

13 May 2019

If you have hundreds of rex-files in a folder or even wavs and they're not in a Refill and you do sound-search, it will slow the search massivlie down then. I just removed two folders that had wav-loops and rex-files in them to make my search being about 100-times faster. Another option would create a 'personal' Refill out of these files and your searching speed would not make you pull out your hair then.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 May 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
13 May 2019
If you have hundreds of rex-files in a folder or even wavs and they're not in a Refill and you do sound-search, it will slow the search massivlie down then. I just removed two folders that had wav-loops and rex-files in them to make my search being about 100-times faster. Another option would create a 'personal' Refill out of these files and your searching speed would not make you pull out your hair then.
You should try Loopcloud, it will index the files so searching is almost instant, even with 1000's of files.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Heigen5

13 May 2019

Boombastix wrote:
13 May 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
13 May 2019
You should try Loopcloud, it will index the files so searching is almost instant, even with 1000's of files.
I was just suggested this over the Reasonheads too, I guess I should give it a go. But still, I would suggest everyone to remove the samples somewhere else than the Refills addresses to save searching time. I have seen how the search stucks to all the sample folders for minutes when I do searches.

boingy

13 May 2019

In this days of huge sound collections Reason really could use a decent built-in librarian. Loopcloud has been a revelation but it does not support Refills.

• Information