Google i/o Reason running in a browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Faastwalker

20 May 2019

napynap wrote:
10 May 2019
Does this mean Android phones will finally get some version of Reason like we see on iOS?
iOS has a version of Reason? :shock:

PGR

21 May 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
20 May 2019
napynap wrote:
10 May 2019
Does this mean Android phones will finally get some version of Reason like we see on iOS?
Well, it is a start...
https://www.propellerheads.com/reason-compact

mashers

21 May 2019

If this comes to fruition, I can envision PH going the subscription route like Adobe. And as much as I love Reason, I think that might be the end of the journey for me.

supersplaron

21 May 2019

diminished wrote:
20 May 2019
At least the fridge will have a freeze function.
I'll show myself out.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Faastwalker

21 May 2019

PGR wrote:
21 May 2019
Faastwalker wrote:
20 May 2019

Well, it is a start...
https://www.propellerheads.com/reason-compact
Oh that! Europa Lite iOS!! :thumbs_down: Android users up in arms, not really missing out on much at all there!

Still, as you said. It's a start .......... of sorts! :?

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2019

Why mess around running a synth in a browser? So people can demo it easily? That's crap. Run it as a VST. Let people demo it in their DAW where they actually want to make music .

mashers

21 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 May 2019
Why mess around running a synth in a browser? So people can demo it easily? That's crap. Run it as a VST. Let people demo it in their DAW where they actually want to make music .
It’s more likely about cross platform compatibility. Developing for a web app will mean the software will run on any operating system capable of running modern web browsers. That opens up Linux. I highly doubt there would be enough demand for a Linux version of Reason to warrant porting the whole thing to a web version, though doing this would also reduce development time and costs as it would mean no developing for both Windows and Mac. It’s also theoretically possible that some mobile platforms could run it too, though I don’t think this would be a very enjoyable experience when the software is not designed with a touch interface in mind.

Realistically I can’t see this happening unless PH is spending an unreasonable amount of time and money on maintaining both Windows and Mac versions. Before 10.3, I would have said this was unlikely as the engine was already running on both platforms so most changes would probably work cross platform anyway. But after reading the change log for 10.3 and seeing that they apparently had to rewrite the VST engine from scratch, I think it’s possible if they come to a point of requiring another major rewrite that they might choose to rewrite for web instead of Windows and Mac.

As long as I still get to buy and own the software, I don’t care if it runs as a web app as long as it maintains current levels of performance. But if they move to an online only and/or subscription model, then I will sadly start the painful process of transitioning to another DAW.

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2019

Running it as a web app seems like such a 00's dream. Like playing Mario as a flash app or something. Cheesy.

Also , you already need an OS as a host. The browser then becomes a host within a host. I'd be excited about going in the other direction. Boot to Reason, make your laptop into dedicated hardware.

diminished
Competition Winner

21 May 2019

It's perfect tho for curious users. Let them have Reason this way for free, play around with it, share patches, add social functions like in allihoopa. Add mp3 export. For all I care, let them unlock certain effects for $0.99 each.
If they like it and want VST, low latency, offline use etc, they can buy Reason X.
That wouldn't hurt any of us, would it?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Jackjackdaw

21 May 2019

True enough. Good for Chromebook users as well I guess. And I just got a load of brand new, awesome Phead Re.s so its not like they have been letting the home fires go out.

RustyShakleforde

22 May 2019

mashers wrote:
21 May 2019
If this comes to fruition, I can envision PH going the subscription route like Adobe. And as much as I love Reason, I think that might be the end of the journey for me.
That was my first thought too. With the looming 5G advances running a full fledged DAW online may be feasible in the future. I think it would benefit them more than us (anti piracy etc - though reason already seems to have done well on that front). Of course its a nice idea to be able to run your DAW from any computer, but who works like that? Its a romantic notion but id guess 90% of users are on the same computer, in the same place 90% of the time. I want my DAW fully offline and I enjoy my main machine being fully off line. Im genuinely concerned for the future of "personal" computing in the age of 5G, Surveilence Capitalism and fads like running your daw in a browser.

I definatly smell a subscription.

mashers

22 May 2019

RustyShakleforde wrote:
22 May 2019
That was my first thought too. With the looming 5G advances running a full fledged DAW online may be feasible in the future. I think it would benefit them more than us (anti piracy etc - though reason already seems to have done well on that front). Of course its a nice idea to be able to run your DAW from any computer, but who works like that? Its a romantic notion but id guess 90% of users are on the same computer, in the same place 90% of the time. I want my DAW fully offline and I enjoy my main machine being fully off line. Im genuinely concerned for the future of "personal" computing in the age of 5G, Surveilence Capitalism and fads like running your daw in a browser.

I definatly smell a subscription.
If they do move to a web version of the software, they can forget about getting any business from major (or even some smaller) studios. Yeah lets record Radiohead's latest album on a web-based DAW. Never mind the fact that it could get intercepted and leaked...

esselfortium

22 May 2019

I don't expect to see Reason move to an exclusively web-based platform. It'd be more than a bit absurd to spend months and months on 10.3's massive code overhaul to optimize the performance of their software if they were planning to deprecate it in favor of a new engine (which would also be slower by definition). I also wouldn't expect VSTs to be usable in web-based Reason, for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

But imagine being able to instantly demo any RE directly from the shop page, just like you can with Europa :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

RustyShakleforde

22 May 2019

esselfortium wrote:
22 May 2019
I don't expect to see Reason move to an exclusively web-based platform. It'd be more than a bit absurd to spend months and months on 10.3's massive code overhaul to optimize the performance of their software if they were planning to deprecate it in favor of a new engine (which would also be slower by definition). I also wouldn't expect VSTs to be usable in web-based Reason, for what should be fairly obvious reasons.

But imagine being able to instantly demo any RE directly from the shop page, just like you can with Europa :puf_smile:
Those are good points. I cant see it happening in the next few years, but certainly in the next ten years we should see the idea of an online daw (I know there is one just now, but not sure how it works) become very realistic. When I seen the video I thought about VSTs and how some companies may go down this route. Online based plug ins. reading around on 5G it seems to me the powers that be, both I in government and at the top of the tech industries want everything, literally everything, connected to the internet and monitored in real time. reading some of the literature it seems that cloud based apps etc, powerful ones to rival what we have on desktops at the moment, are more than possible. It worries me that in our lifetime we may see the big companies try and switch to all online, always connected. Of course it is a valid point that many pros wouldn't be keen, as too many bad scenarios with security etc, but with changing generations and how younger generations and a lot of the current generations jumping in the deep end with all this cloud based stuff its not too much of a stretch to see it all as a possibility. And of course this type of technology is perfect for subscription based models. So yea, sorry for being such a cynic, I just don't have very good feelings about it all. And with the appointment of the recent CEO and the investments we've seen, it would seem that things are heading towards some variation of the described scenario.

Of course in the mean time I should just enjoy making music, this is afterall speculation :D

antic604

22 May 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
21 May 2019
I'd be excited about going in the other direction. Boot to Reason, make your laptop into dedicated hardware.
There's Elk OS trying to be just that: https://www.mindmusiclabs.com/

• Information