Wouldn't a bug report subforum be a good idea?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stxlm

09 May 2019

It seems a lot of issues arose with 10.3, and I would love to have a place to go, if only to know "if it's just me".
The barrier to actual bug reporting outside the beta testing is a bit high (face it we're lazy) and I think "me too" posts could at least be useful as a gauge.

I'm sure this has been up before, but I could find a prior post.

WongoTheSane

09 May 2019

Indeed, it's been discussed before, but we won't do it because we're not Propellerhead, nor affiliated with them in any way other than being a group of users of their products. We don't want to give the impression that a bug reported here is read or handled by Propellerhead. While they do read this forum occasionally, it's not part of their duty and they might miss a report posted here.

Besides, reporting a bug to them directly allows them to enter that report in a database where it is sorted and evaluated, and where they can mark it as "pending", "resolved", etc. Opening a special forum here would deprive them of that useful tool.

But it's really easy to report a bug to them! Simply go to https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-us/requests/new and fill the form! Searching for "bug report propellerhead" in Google will also take you there.

MarkTarlton

09 May 2019

I think it's a great idea regardless if the props don't read it all the time. It's easier to find all the bugs for us users, plus if anyone like mattias shows up, they can super quickly see the reports. think about it :)

ScuzzyEye

09 May 2019

Again, would you rather that bug reports be something that someone may see, if they show up, or something that gets logged into their bug tracking software? If people think that reporting a bug here is enough, then they might not report it through the proper channels.

A forum is not a good place for reporting bugs regardless of its official standing. As a developer, proper tracking is important. Bugs can be given a priority, progress towards fixes can be tracked, additional information/test cases can be requested. When bug is found on a forum, you have to copy the information from there. You may or may not be able to contact the person who made the initial report.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

I have mentioned buggy things here as a step before I report to the developer. To figure if someone else can replicate it, or if it isolated to me, or simply a mistake. Then if it seems to actually be a problem then I report through proper channels. I see a value in that, for discussion/evaluation. It should be made pretty clear though that developers do not use the 'bug forum' as an official channel.

I'm a bit fed up with bug reporting at the moment to be honest, it has been too much work lately and sucked up hours of my time. And some developers show great appreciations, others have been annoying to work with. Seemed like a total lack of appreciation for the time it takes to figure stuff out, replicate, running tests, making videos, etc. It's not like anyone pays for bug reporting work, now is there!? Maybe a $10 voucher for each confirmed bug would be something for developers to consider, at least then there is some tangible appreciation for someone spending up to $200 of their time to report stuff.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

ScuzzyEye

09 May 2019

Definitely, if you want to check with other people, to see if you actually have found a bug, or are just doing something wrong, this Reason forum is a great place for it. The problem would be if there's a dedicated forum for it, people would think it is more official than it really is. We have that problem with the feature request forum now. People think that by submitting something there, it has a chance of making it into Reason. But on the other hand, we kind of needed that place to collect feature requests because they were being made so often, and clogging up this board. If bug reports ever get to the point of clogging up this board, I figure 1. I'll stop using Reason, and 2. we'll have to make another place to post them. Fortunately bug reports here are few and far enough between that they'll be pushed off page one quickly.

MarkTarlton

09 May 2019

propellerheads tell me if I am experiencing an issue with an RE that it's the developer who should be contacted.

reggie1979

09 May 2019

Well, contacting them doesn't necessary fix the issue either. They confirmed a bug with automation and remote in AT4 and haven't addressed it yet.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 May 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
09 May 2019
Fortunately bug reports here are few and far enough between that they'll be pushed off page one quickly.
Well, that is actually the problem. A potential bug is then left aside with no one else trying to replicate and confirm it. What then? Will it be reported through the proper channel or will the OP just leave it...
If the folks here can understand complex SW like Reason, I think there is hope that they will undertand the forum is not an official bug reporting forum if it is spelled out, no?
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

pushedbutton

09 May 2019

Once I had a neighbour who came banging on my door saying he'd been putting up with my noise for over a month.
From the look on his face when I gave him a confused look I knew that I didn't need to explain that he should have told me a month ago.
I don't think it would be wise to fragment the bug reporting process by adding it as a feature here.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

reggie1979

09 May 2019

pushedbutton wrote:
09 May 2019
Once I had a neighbour who came banging on my door saying he'd been putting up with my noise for over a month.
From the look on his face when I gave him a confused look I knew that I didn't need to explain that he should have told me a month ago.
I don't think it would be wise to fragment the bug reporting process by adding it as a feature here.
Wat?????????

• Information