Practice with Shreddage

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CYSYS8993

08 May 2019

Hi, I've been trying to practice on adding lead guitars to songs. But right now the result I got from this little practice loop sounds like crap and I want to do something about it.
I know there's something missing about this. The certain quality it's lacking to meet professional standards. But I can't figure out what.

Any suggestions on how to improve this? I've provided screencaps of my rack to give you guys a clearer picture.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.12.10 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.12.10 PM.jpg (622.21 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.11.59 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 10.11.59 PM.jpg (644.14 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Shreddage practice.mp3
(213.81 KiB) Downloaded 110 times

Loque

09 May 2019

What sound are you looking for? More gritty? Than try a power cord instead of a single note.
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

09 May 2019

Also, seeing that you have Massive and Absynth, chances are you have Komplete: have you tried Guitar Rig? Lots of good setups there.

Magnus

09 May 2019

The whole mix needs some work:

Pad/Synth - Too light in tone, try using a a Scream4 on Tube and then shape it with EQ so it's not too bassy but bolsters the mix better.

Drums - try getting one of the Ryan Greene drums ReFills and use those samples instead, the drums you have sound like general midi!

Guitar - Try putting your amp sooner in the signal chain and the reverb and perhaps an echo delay after the amp. Use some EQ to shape the sound or double track the MIDI part with a synth set to an octave lower and then blend that in to thicken the sound without being too obvious.

Some bass guitar would help!

Also, you might want to upgrade Shreddage 2 to Shreddage 3 which has a much better engine and should sound far more realistic!

Good luck!

CYSYS8993

10 May 2019

Magnus wrote:
09 May 2019
The whole mix needs some work:

Pad/Synth - Too light in tone, try using a a Scream4 on Tube and then shape it with EQ so it's not too bassy but bolsters the mix better.

Drums - try getting one of the Ryan Greene drums ReFills and use those samples instead, the drums you have sound like general midi!

Guitar - Try putting your amp sooner in the signal chain and the reverb and perhaps an echo delay after the amp. Use some EQ to shape the sound or double track the MIDI part with a synth set to an octave lower and then blend that in to thicken the sound without being too obvious.

Some bass guitar would help!

Also, you might want to upgrade Shreddage 2 to Shreddage 3 which has a much better engine and should sound far more realistic!

Good luck!
Oooh, just the kind of feedback I needed.

Yes, I knew that my mixing was crap. That's why I came here to seek the experts, so I can get in more detail what my loop is lacking.

Can you explain what you mean by the drums sounding like General Midi?

As for the plugins you suggested like the Ryan Greene drums ReFills and Shreddage 3, my main issue with those is the cost.

Magnus

10 May 2019

I meant that the drums sounded a bit like a dated cheap general midi sound rather than something meaty and chunky that the genre of music you're doing calls for.

If you can't afford Ryan Greene I would suggest finding some better samples in the Reason Factory Sound Bank. There are some RX2 files inside the Acoustic Drums > Metal folder that you can select individual RX2 slices as samples for a Redrum channel; some meaty kicks, snares and tom sounds inside those RX2 files.

Also, there's a free version of Shreddage 3; https://impactsoundworks.com/product/sh ... atus-free/
It may give you better results than your retail Shreddage 2!

Good luck!

CYSYS8993

29 May 2019

Magnus wrote:
10 May 2019
I meant that the drums sounded a bit like a dated cheap general midi sound rather than something meaty and chunky that the genre of music you're doing calls for.

If you can't afford Ryan Greene I would suggest finding some better samples in the Reason Factory Sound Bank. There are some RX2 files inside the Acoustic Drums > Metal folder that you can select individual RX2 slices as samples for a Redrum channel; some meaty kicks, snares and tom sounds inside those RX2 files.

Also, there's a free version of Shreddage 3; https://impactsoundworks.com/product/sh ... atus-free/

Good luck!
How do I assign the RX2 slices as Redrum samples?

Also I just got Shreddage 3 for free (thanks to you), now I'm having trouble trying to open it in Reason. Could use some help. Thanks.

wendylou

29 May 2019

This work pretty well for me! ;-)

31nLQQE68IL.jpg
31nLQQE68IL.jpg (11.95 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Magnus

29 May 2019

CYSYS8993 wrote:
29 May 2019
Magnus wrote:
10 May 2019

Good luck!

Also I just got Shreddage 3 for free (thanks to you), now I'm having trouble trying to open it in Reason. Could use some help. Thanks.
Shreddage 3 Free requires the full Kontakt version (5.7 or greater) so if you've only got Kontakt Player, it won't work. Only the retail Shreddage 3 editions work with Kontakt Player. I'm guessing that might be your problem.

When browsing for a sample for a channel on Redrum, if you point the browser towards RX2 files you can click the arrow to the left of the filename and then it will drill in and allow you to select individual slices as the sample. This video will show you:

CYSYS8993

26 Jun 2019

Magnus wrote:
29 May 2019
CYSYS8993 wrote:
29 May 2019

Shreddage 3 Free requires the full Kontakt version (5.7 or greater) so if you've only got Kontakt Player, it won't work. Only the retail Shreddage 3 editions work with Kontakt Player. I'm guessing that might be your problem.

When browsing for a sample for a channel on Redrum, if you point the browser towards RX2 files you can click the arrow to the left of the filename and then it will drill in and allow you to select individual slices as the sample. This video will show you:

(Apologies for the late reply, but thank you for your patience!)

Shoot, looks like the Kontakt I'm using in Reason is Kontakt Player. :(
And I'm sure the full Kontakt version required to run Shreddage 3 properly costs hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for your help anyways!

NekujaK

28 Jun 2019

Libraries that require full Kontakt can be loaded into Kontakt Player just fine. The only caveat is they can only operate for 15 minutes at a time. So you should be able to load Shreddage 3 into Kontakt Player. Use the File tab in Kontakt Player to navigate to the Shreddage 3 installation directory to load the instrrument file.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

r1381

28 Jun 2019

a little while back, i purchased this from the propellerhead store https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/product/shreddage/...

...is this a "lesser" version of the the shreddage extension/plugin you are using? the refill linked above has a few combinator patches and a bunch of individual wav files, etc. it wasn't what i was expecting.

thanks.

• Information