The License Incident....*WARNING* Dont do this...what I did....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stxlm

07 May 2019

With a licensing system that basically equates to using belt, suspenders and superglue - no, I won't be making this mistake, I don't think.

I've used the "I've lost this computer" button maybe once or twice.

But I'm always demoing at least one RE, so logging in is my default.

Honestly, I can see how this would happen.

But I really don't see how it's a problem, unless you live away from internet and mobile data access.

two shoes

07 May 2019

ableton has been as cracked as my ass since they started and who's the market leader by pretty much any metric you care to name?

go on and keep treating the long-term customers who are the only reason you still exist like they're petty thieves out to steal your precious software that barely anyone under age 30 even knows exists... there's nowhere to go but up from here!

guitfnky

07 May 2019

kind of baffling how people can suggest this is a tough issue for Props to handle. they allow one authorized computer at a time. as long as the user who owns the account is the one trying to transfer authorization to a new computer, they should be allowed to, period. it shouldn’t matter whether the user’s machine was stolen, reformatted, dropped into a volcano, whatever.

how do you verify it’s the account user? logins and multi-factor authentication. these aren’t new concepts.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

miscend

07 May 2019

That permanent five time limit is rather suspect for sure. It’s unfair if you are a paying customer.

Lets say over the course of 5 to 10 years you are unfortunate and suffer from a series catastrophes leading to you reporting your computer as stolen. For example you have SSD failure occur twice, a collaborator spills liquid over your laptop, you are a victim of a burglary in which all computer equipment is stolen and your luggage containing including laptop is lost on a flight.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

miscend wrote:
07 May 2019
That permanent five time limit is rather suspect for sure. It’s unfair if you are a paying customer.

Lets say over the course of 5 to 10 years you are unfortunate and suffer from a series catastrophes leading to you reporting your computer as stolen. For example you have SSD failure occur twice, a collaborator spills liquid over your laptop, you are a victim of a burglary in which all computer equipment is stolen and your luggage containing including laptop is lost on a flight.
I'd probably try to buy the rights to the film. What a plot. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ostermilk

07 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
07 May 2019
miscend wrote:
07 May 2019

I'd probably try to buy the rights to the film. What a plot. :)
:lol:

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

It's possible all of that can happen to someone I suppose. If they want people to use ignition keys, shouldn't they supply them? Cubase comes with elicenser, and Protools come with iloks...just curious why they wouldn't include it in the box?
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
07 May 2019
It's possible all of that can happen to someone I suppose. If they want people to use ignition keys, shouldn't they supply them? Cubase comes with elicenser, and Protools come with iloks...just curious why they wouldn't include it in the box?
I still don’t get it. You authorized your machine 5 or more times. After that they sent you an ignition key for free right? Now you’re worried about what happens if you lose your ignition key. Now there’s the film I’d like to buy the rights to.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

2017, this happened. It's 2019, 2 upgrades and multiple rack extensions later, they tell me this is a permanent thing. So yeah, im worried some circumstances can happen. But I still have my free ignition key....why they don't just include them in the box when you buy the DAW is weird. You think this is fair business practice?

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

Lets imagine what would happen to the next guy that goes through this, that doesn't get a free ignition key sent to them...he'd be in a pickle, just as I would be in 2017 had they not sent the ignition key. They could've just allowed me to write it to my computer...I never asked for a free ignition key.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
07 May 2019
Lets imagine what would happen to the next guy that goes through this, that doesn't get a free ignition key sent to them...he'd be in a pickle, just as I would be in 2017 had they not sent the ignition key. They could've just allowed me to write it to my computer...I never asked for a free ignition key.
Absolutely. I understand. However, even though you didn’t ask for an Ignition Key they sent you one. Otherwise they cost €50 so they are offering help and solutions. I’m a bit spoiled as I got an Ignition Key supplied when I bought Record and I’ve also got all my licenses on Balance. I’m not saying the pc authorization method is right only that I don’t understand how you could use up all your authorizations so fast knowing that you should deauthorize before making changes. I guess it shouldn't matter why. Line 6, by the way, only allow 5 authorizations on their hardware.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

I don't care about the method of authorization, i am totally fine with writing a license to my computer, but don't tell me when I buy the software I have to authorize through codemeter writing a license to my computer, and then switch it up and say I have to start using the ignition key because they refuse to report anymore computers as lost. If they wanted users to use the ignition key, they should provide it when you purchase a copy of the program. Just about every daw who uses a dongle comes with one. What doesn't make sense is, why would they be ok with reporting ignition keys as lost, but not my computer? Seems a little weird to me.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

Aaa. Now I get your point. Yeah...authorize on pc limited number of times, internet verification or Ignition Key. Or you can’t use the software. Yeah. I guess Reason should come with one. I reckon most people buy Reason online as opposed to boxed though so you’d probably have to pay some sort of postage.

Edit: That said, they sent you an Ignition Key right? So problem solved? Ha ha :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

Ah yea, the online download option should be like 10 bucks cheaper or something, so they can pay for the ignition key or if they already have one use that. Steinberg does that with their Cubase 10. The download purchase is 10 dollars cheaper than the box version.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
07 May 2019
Ah yea, the online download option should be like 10 bucks cheaper or something, so they can pay for the ignition key or if they already have one use that. Steinberg does that with their Cubase 10. The download purchase is 10 dollars cheaper than the box version.
The box version of Reason is €30 dearer. But you do get stickers.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

07 May 2019

Sorry but, at some point in your life, you have to take responsibility for your actions. Case in point: I've built/re-built several times after authorizing my machine for offline use. I've upgraded my main system drive (with newer generations SSD's) twice. In all instances, I know the drill - because I chose this life of being a computer-based musician: de-authorize your freaking computer first.

With all due respect to the OP, this reeks of poor choices being made - time after time. And for all those thinking Props are somehow making it difficult and you're somehow the victim, just... LMAO.. NO.

Jesus man, I just... I can't.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MrFigg
Competition Winner

07 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
07 May 2019
Sorry but, at some point in your life, you have to take responsibility for your actions. Case in point: I've built/re-built several times after authorizing my machine for offline use. I've upgraded my main system drive (with newer generations SSD's) twice. In all instances, I know the drill - because I chose this life of being a computer-based musician: de-authorize your freaking computer first.

With all due respect to the OP, this reeks of poor choices being made - time after time. And for all those thinking Props are somehow making it difficult and you're somehow the victim, just... LMAO.. NO.

To quote your reply from an earlier comment I made expressing those exact sentiments...
“Same”
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Oquasec

07 May 2019

Oh wait you can just deauthorize your rig when you have the chance to do so.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

seqoi

07 May 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
06 May 2019
I'm totally confused by this thread. Not that is matters, but I still do not understand how this happened. (just really checking so that I don't run into something)
Same here. For some reason he keep refusing to answer other user questions and keep answering only convenient ones. I am genuinely interested in this issue and why he can't provide answer to this user viewtopic.php?p=443932#p443932 ?

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
07 May 2019

I love how you assume I don't take responsibility for my own actions....which countless times I've said I do....I mean if you read the post title, im basically admitting and advising others to not do what I do.

Pointing out what flaws I identify in a system, discussing it in an open forum, is not acting like the victim. It's to openly discuss AND inform others of what can happen. Get off your high horse..."i know the drill, because..." Good for you. if you have nothing to contribute to the actual topic of this conversation other than your failed attempt at gas lighting the situation, then please, keep your "Im a perfect person" speech to yourself...it's useless banter.

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

seqoi wrote:
07 May 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
06 May 2019
I'm totally confused by this thread. Not that is matters, but I still do not understand how this happened. (just really checking so that I don't run into something)
Same here. For some reason he keep refusing to answer other user questions and keep answering only convenient ones. I am genuinely interested in this issue and why he can't provide answer to this user viewtopic.php?p=443932#p443932 ?
Because i've answered it already. Hence, the people who get it have replied furthering conversation and spit balling ideas and opinions on whether this is a good system or not.

EnochLight

07 May 2019

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
07 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
07 May 2019

I love how you assume I don't take responsibility for my own actions....which countless times I've said I do....I mean if you read the post title, im basically admitting and advising others to not do what I do.

Pointing out what flaws I identify in a system, discussing it in an open forum, is not acting like the victim. It's to openly discuss AND inform others of what can happen. Get off your high horse..."i know the drill, because..." Good for you. if you have nothing to contribute to the actual topic of this conversation other than your failed attempt at gas lighting the situation, then please, keep your "Im a perfect person" speech to yourself...it's useless banter.
Nope, it doesn’t work like that. If you choose to post things on an open forum on the Internet, be prepared for people to disagree with your opinions or post random shit to others in the same thread.

That said, my remarks about being the victim and taking responsibility weren’t necessarily pointed towards you. It was for all of the other posters who think Propellerhead owe them some sort of free pass for doing stupid shit. Unless that is indeed you? I mean, I just re-read your OP and it sounds like you did admit fault and were simply making a PSA...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kimothebeatmaker

07 May 2019

Opposing views I don't have an issue with. Being accused of playing a victim role, is what I have an issue with. I don't mind admitting I messed up...hence why I said it was 5 or more times I did it. If I was playing a victim, id cherry pick the details to make it seem like I was wronged, but I didn't. Whether you agree with the way PH handles their licensing is purely you and your opinion, which I respect. I just don't agree is all. I agree it's my fault, but the situation being 2 years ago, should be rectified with a simple verification of who I am, is all im saying. Especially after purchasing 2 upgrades from 8-9-10 and the rack extensions and bundles. If I wasn't who I said I was, why the heck would I be spending my money on a piece of software I do not own? Also penalizing a user by permanently reducing their privilege to report a lost computer, I do not agree with.

ScuzzyEye

07 May 2019

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
07 May 2019
...the situation being 2 years ago, should be rectified with a simple verification of who I am, is all im saying. Especially after purchasing 2 upgrades from 8-9-10 and the rack extensions and bundles. If I wasn't who I said I was, why the heck would I be spending my money on a piece of software I do not own? Also penalizing a user by permanently reducing their privilege to report a lost computer, I do not agree with.
It's not about verifying who you are. It's about the 5+ computers that could possibly be out there with your Reason licenses still active on them. The "lost computer" option doesn't deactivate your license, it gives you another one. That's why they place an upper limit on the number times you can request an additional activation. There's no way for them to know those other computers don't still exist, so they'll never remove them from your account.

If this was pre-Internet, pre-software key days, and lost the disk the program came on, and hadn't made a backup, you lost the program, and would have to buy it again. I feel like you've come out far ahead. You screwed up a half dozen times, and still can use your software.

rgdaniel

07 May 2019

On two occasions, the page where one authorizes/de-authorizes Reason to one's PC was not working, such that I required tech support to (eventually) intercede and allow me to authorize and, a few weeks later, de-authorize. That, combined with reading this thread, convinces me that I will from now on just leave Reason on Internet sign-in mode only. I have reliable enough internet that I think that should be fine (knock wood) for my porpoises.

• Information