The License Incident....*WARNING* Dont do this...what I did....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
seqoi

08 May 2019

raj1 wrote:
08 May 2019
If you have an HD crash, your license is stuck on the dead drive. PH cannot deactivate it on their end, and you cannot log into your account and deactivate remotely.
This is not true!! I asked their support exactly that!! What happens if my HDD dies? Or if i have Reason on notebook and my notebook is stolen? That's precisely what i asked their support. They told me that i can log in to my area on their website remotely with any other computer and i can deactivate that "stolen" computer or computer with HDD failure.

Why are you assuming i can not log in to my Propellerhead account remotely via some other computer connected to internet? Even if my HDD died on my local computer. It's not that they will shut down your account at propellerhead website?!!
raj1 wrote:
08 May 2019
With other software, you can have hardware failure and you can deauthorize your license remotely with no problem or have a customer support person do it for you.
That's precisely how PH system is working!!

guitfnky

08 May 2019

joeyluck wrote:
07 May 2019
guitfnky wrote:
07 May 2019
pretty sure the fact that there are four pages of discussion on whether it’s a good system is an indication that it’s not a good system. 😆
Reason used to not allow computer authorization. They added computer authorization in addition to online authentication and the Ignition Key (as well as Balance as a key if you had that). A bad system is when customers lose access. In this case, the customer was able to report five lost computers and was mailed a free Ignition Key.

Some developers who use iLok still don't allow computer authorization, such as McDSP and Slate.
Have a look at what you have to pay if you lose your iLok and the "Zero Downtime Protection" plan.
https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-coverage
https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-terms

If this were iLok, with the $30 per and $100 expediency fee, the user would have paid more than the cost of a new Reason license. But instead, it was reported lost 5 times for free and he was sent a free Ignition Key. I realize the argument now could be someone saying, "Well I'd pay the fees," but at the same time the OP is not happy with the idea of having to pay for his next Ignition Key in the hypothetical situation he loses the one he was given for free...

It was stated that this thread was in place to inform people. I think people are pretty well informed now if they weren't already. If folks feel the need to continue a discussion, just please keep things civil :puf_smile:
the fact that you just spent four more paragraphs justifying the process only reinforces the point that...

pretty sure the fact that there are four pages of discussion on whether it’s a good system is an indication that it’s not a good system. 😆
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

chimp_spanner

08 May 2019

Funnily enough I just had to report mine as lost, as I'm currently on a new install after my old one went corrupt and I had no choice except to go nuclear and wipe it. So, it can happen. Maybe not 5+ times in a row, but I'm not entirely without sympathy. It did also warn me that there was only a limited number of times I could do this (I suspect it's not a set number, but rather they would look for suspicious patterns, i.e. a large number in a short space of time). It doesn't, however, say that the limit is permanent or not reset-able. So maybe that could be clarified on that page?

Of course seeing it from Props side...if I understand the auth system correctly, once you report it as lost/stolen there's no actual way for PH to de-authorise it from their end, right? I mean, by definition it's "offline" authorisation, so they're kind of taking your word for it that the system is actual lost/gone, and that you haven't just put it on a mates computer and they get to keep it so long as they don't try and do anything with it online? If that's the case, then an unlimited number of lost computers would be a gaping hole in their protection system.

Course it sucks for the OP if computer authorisation is just no longer an option, ever. There is the ignition key, at least. I guess the takeaway from this is to just try to remember to de-authorise when you can, and don't take the system for granted/abuse it.

sdst
Competition Winner

08 May 2019

that's why Reaper is becoming the favorite audio workstation, you can have it portable
not need to worry about all this License crap

WongoTheSane

08 May 2019

sdst wrote:
08 May 2019
that's why Reaper is becoming the favorite audio workstation
[citation needed]

kimothebeatmaker

08 May 2019

seqoi wrote:
08 May 2019
raj1 wrote:
08 May 2019
If you have an HD crash, your license is stuck on the dead drive. PH cannot deactivate it on their end, and you cannot log into your account and deactivate remotely.
This is not true!! I asked their support exactly that!! What happens if my HDD dies? Or if i have Reason on notebook and my notebook is stolen? That's precisely what i asked their support. They told me that i can log in to my area on their website remotely with any other computer and i can deactivate that "stolen" computer or computer with HDD failure.

Why are you assuming i can not log in to my Propellerhead account remotely via some other computer connected to internet? Even if my HDD died on my local computer. It's not that they will shut down your account at propellerhead website?!!
raj1 wrote:
08 May 2019
With other software, you can have hardware failure and you can deauthorize your license remotely with no problem or have a customer support person do it for you.
That's precisely how PH system is working!!

Trust me, what he says is true. I know...I did it 5+ times lol. If your drive crashes, and you can't login to that specific OS install, you will have to "report computer as lost"
And yes they do say "only limited amount of times you can do this" - that just means you have to contact support afterwards, and they'll wipe it for you.

What they DONT tell you, is that there is a number you reach, when they decide you can no longer write a license to your pc, due to not being able to report a pc as lost, that is permanent. No matter how many upgrades you purchase, Reason 11...12....13.......

So for all of you that have this idea, that you can deactivate your license from a different PC, you're dead wrong....I can make a video proving you cannot do that. I still have my license, haven't written it to a computer specifically because I don't want to do it and something bad happens, then im SOL in regards to activating a computer.
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

kimothebeatmaker

08 May 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
08 May 2019
Funnily enough I just had to report mine as lost, as I'm currently on a new install after my old one went corrupt and I had no choice except to go nuclear and wipe it. So, it can happen. Maybe not 5+ times in a row, but I'm not entirely without sympathy. It did also warn me that there was only a limited number of times I could do this (I suspect it's not a set number, but rather they would look for suspicious patterns, i.e. a large number in a short space of time). It doesn't, however, say that the limit is permanent or not reset-able. So maybe that could be clarified on that page?

Of course seeing it from Props side...if I understand the auth system correctly, once you report it as lost/stolen there's no actual way for PH to de-authorise it from their end, right? I mean, by definition it's "offline" authorisation, so they're kind of taking your word for it that the system is actual lost/gone, and that you haven't just put it on a mates computer and they get to keep it so long as they don't try and do anything with it online? If that's the case, then an unlimited number of lost computers would be a gaping hole in their protection system.

Course it sucks for the OP if computer authorisation is just no longer an option, ever. There is the ignition key, at least. I guess the takeaway from this is to just try to remember to de-authorise when you can, and don't take the system for granted/abuse it.

They need to make it clear on how permanent that penalty is for future users, there are numerous authorization services that authorize computers, and if you forget to deactivate, they'll do it for you after you contact support. IKmultimedia being one that comes to mind clearly. So if they're going to permanently not allow you to do that, then they should definitely make light of that...because judging by this thread and all the misinformation in here, PH hasn't made that point crystal.
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

EnochLight

08 May 2019

raj1 wrote:
08 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
07 May 2019

Disagree. The policy is completely reasonable and virtually has no issues at all. The OP's thread is the first of its kind in Reasontalk's entire history, to my knowledge. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯{
have you never had an HD crash unexpectedly? This can happen to you too.
Of course a HD crash can happen unexpectedly - this is one of the reasons why the "mark computer as lost" feature even exists. But in your example, if you have this happen five (5) times.... you're doing something wrong! :lol: :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ostermilk

08 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
08 May 2019

That's not necessarily an accurate summary.

The length of discussion may also be to do with folk just enjoying another routine shit-fest.

ShawnG

08 May 2019

sdst wrote:
08 May 2019
that's why Reaper is becoming the favorite audio workstation, you can have it portable
not need to worry about all this License crap
Yes, that’s right. They just got the largest number of votes on a recent poll over on kvr... oh wait, sorry that poll was : “what DAW do you hate”. :puf_bigsmile:

fullforce

08 May 2019

djadalaide wrote:
05 May 2019
Buy a balance, its an additional dongle you can use as a backup
No. Mine doesn't work anymore and it's unsupported.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

08 May 2019

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
05 May 2019
Ok, so let me give ya'll a bit of a background.
In 2017 I was building a PC. I ended up rebuilding, selling parts, different builds, and in the meantime...forgot to unauthorize the PC....but I thought no big, because I can just always report as lost. Its the same dang computer. And plus its my license. I can always prove it was me the whole time to support.

They never told me t here was a limit to how many times you can report the computer as "lost".
Hang on a second here. You reported the computer as lost how many times before you got your first ignition key for free (that you seemingly lost)?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

WongoTheSane

08 May 2019

The management wishes to inform you that the dead horse is, indeed, dead. This thread is now locked. You are cordially invited to partake in the joie de vivre that makes ReasonTalk's reputation in all the other threads that we offer for your continued enjoyment. Thank you for visiting!

• Information