The License Incident....*WARNING* Dont do this...what I did....

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kimothebeatmaker

05 May 2019

Ok, so let me give ya'll a bit of a background.
In 2017 I was building a PC. I ended up rebuilding, selling parts, different builds, and in the meantime...forgot to unauthorize the PC....but I thought no big, because I can just always report as lost. Its the same dang computer. And plus its my license. I can always prove it was me the whole time to support.

They never told me t here was a limit to how many times you can report the computer as "lost". So I said ok, that sucks...what do I do now? They said 'we will send you an ignition key', and I thanked them...now that's great customer support.

Fast forward to 2019. I wanted to see if they could reset it now, because surely after upgrading from 7-8-9-10 I can get my writing privledges back. They said no. This is permanent. I said so what happens if I don't have internet or I lose the key, they said i would have to buy another key, and report it as lost....and they'll reset the license for me. So they'll only reset it for me...is if I buy another ignition key. Yeah....im not sure if I like that, feels like im being punished and forced to buy an ignition key when I can just as easily have the same privledges as everyone else to write to my own computer. Especially after 2 years upgrading versions multiple times.

Me and support went back and forth, because he kept replying with the same comment, but never answered my questions. I feel like, they are doing this out of spite to punish me for reporting my pc as lost because i kept forgetting to deauthorize when rebuilding, reformatting my pc...and I don't think it's a rule, because I have never seen, read, or heard about there being an absolute limit which a person cannot cross, or else he'll be forced to buy an ignition key. I could be wrong.

Has anyone ever had this issue? What did you do?

If you haven't...learn from my experience.
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

ReasonUser

05 May 2019

Yeah I can see both sides of the coin here. I’m sure there are two sides to the story. You would think they might have given you a “final warning” or something. If not I might try to negotiate one more time.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2019

How many times are we talking here?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Oquasec

05 May 2019

You can bypass that limit just by inputting code though :/
You can even LOCK the codemeter settings to the cloud
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

sublunar

05 May 2019

Surely someone from support would have warned you about the limit the first time or two you reported a computer as lost? I know they made it clear to me during the one time I needed to do this.

bitley

05 May 2019

It's kind of normal to see it the way Phead does...

Oquasec

05 May 2019

If you input the codemeter code you have no limit though.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

05 May 2019

I am allways shivering when my HD crashes... And I payed for all that stuff...
Reason12, Win10

MannequinRaces

05 May 2019

Oquasec wrote:
05 May 2019
If you input the codemeter code you have no limit though.
Input the code where and where do you even find the code?

reggie1979

05 May 2019

Hmmmmmm, I just sign in online

Jmax

05 May 2019

I mean really you should only have that happen once, forget to un-sync your comp before building a new one.
If your drive crashes a second time, well that's bad luck but understandable.
If it happens a third time? well your shit out of luck. And it looks like your either incompetent or up to no good.

It happened to me once. I learned my lesson.

gullum

05 May 2019

bull shit on PH you change hard drive and clone the old one. now PH says you have a new computer that is bull shit and if I do that a 1000 times it is still same computer and bigger bull shit on PH

djadalaide

05 May 2019

Buy a balance, its an additional dongle you can use as a backup

Loque

05 May 2019

Where can i see how many activations do i have left?
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

05 May 2019

I feel like they could easily negate the need to limit you from the number of times you can mark a computer as lost by adding some multi-factor authentication into the process. tie your cell or email to your account, and when you need to mark something lost, it emails or texts you a code to verify you’re the owner before it lets you finish the process.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 May 2019

Again. How many times are we talking? How many computers have you lost or broken? Didn’t you figure the first time after you forgot to deauthorize that you wouldn’t make that mistake again? Or the time after. Or the time after that. Every time you needed to contact Propellerheads to say you’d forgotten to deauthorize? Have I misunderstood?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

05 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2019
Again. How many times are we talking? How many computers have you lost or broken? Didn’t you figure the first time after you forgot to deauthorize that you wouldn’t make that mistake again? Or the time after. Or the time after that. Every time you needed to contact Propellerheads to say you’d forgotten to deauthorize? Have I misunderstood?
I think it really depends on how often you’re doing it. I’ve had to do it twice now—once after I’d sold my iMac, and once on my PC, after a reformat. this was years apart, mind you, but it’s pretty easy to forget something like that if you’re doing it every 3-6 months or more. for some reason, I didn’t have to contact Props to get things squared away (maybe because I already have an authorization stick?).

at any rate, it’s not a very user-friendly way to protect from piracy, that’s for sure.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
05 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2019
I think it really depends on how often you’re doing it. I’ve had to do it twice now—once after I’d sold my iMac, and once on my PC, after a reformat. this was years apart, mind you, but it’s pretty easy to forget something like that if you’re doing it every 3-6 months or more. for some reason, I didn’t have to contact Props to get things squared away (maybe because I already have an authorization stick?).

at any rate, it’s not a very user-friendly way to protect from piracy, that’s for sure.
Just so you know, my question wasn’t directed at you man. It was more to the OP. I absolutely get that it’s possible to forget once or twice, and I’m sure Propellerheads do to. That’s why I’m wondering how many times the OP “forgot” and had to get his pc marked as lost. I’ve done it once after a meltdown and they fixed it directly after I contacted them.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

06 May 2019

guitfnky wrote:
05 May 2019
MrFigg wrote:
05 May 2019

It's more userfriendly than iLok or Windows.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

06 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 May 2019
Just so you know, my question wasn’t directed at you man. It was more to the OP. I absolutely get that it’s possible to forget once or twice, and I’m sure Propellerheads do to. That’s why I’m wondering how many times the OP “forgot” and had to get his pc marked as lost. I’ve done it once after a meltdown and they fixed it directly after I contacted them.
yep, understood—I was speaking generally, not on behalf of myself or the OP.

eusti

06 May 2019

Well... I have to say that I understand that stuff can happen... After all I had to deal with unreliable SSD drives on this computer for a while...
Then it turned out that it was a well known issue with this model: The HD harness... So basically the cable would work intermittently... But in a very hard to determine way... Lost a few authorizations that way... Glad I'm on track again... Because when those happened there was no longer the option to deauthorize the computer... No more access to computer... And then there was the time when I had to exchange the motherboard... Well, the SSD was the same, the computer too... But it still wasn't recognized as such...

D.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 May 2019

eusti wrote:
06 May 2019
Well... I have to say that I understand that stuff can happen... After all I had to deal with unreliable SSD drives on this computer for a while...
Then it turned out that it was a well known issue with this model: The HD harness... So basically the cable would work intermittently... But in a very hard to determine way... Lost a few authorizations that way... Glad I'm on track again... Because when those happened there was no longer the option to deauthorize the computer... No more access to computer... And then there was the time when I had to exchange the motherboard... Well, the SSD was the same, the computer too... But it still wasn't recognized as such...

D.
That’s the thing. I’m guessing, and correct me if I’m wrong, that Props didn’t tell you that they couldn’t help you any more. I’d really like to know how many times the OP went through the process. And as far as thinking that they’re “doing it out of spite” to “punish” him? Seriously?? Why would they do that?? No way.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

eusti

06 May 2019

MrFigg wrote:
06 May 2019
That’s the thing. I’m guessing, and correct me if I’m wrong, that Props didn’t tell you that they couldn’t help you any more. I’d really like to know how many times the OP went through the process. And as far as thinking that they’re “doing it out of spite” to “punish” him? Seriously?? Why would they do that?? No way.
Yup. So far so good here! :P

D.

4filegate

06 May 2019

just by the way, the old 256GB NVMe M.2 had 2150/1260 a difference to 512 GB now 3500/2100 (960Pro) .... Drive Copy with Paragon Manager 16.5 Advanced, no problem.

kimothebeatmaker

06 May 2019

“How many times?”

I’d say at least 5, but this was in a short time span, so it can explain that I was doing it on the same computer as I was building it.

But that shouldn’t matter, I paid for my license, upgrades, and rack extensions. I received no warning, no where on their site does it say there is a report limit. This dude Craig is super condescending in his replies. I’m starting to get annoyed at the whole situation. I love Reason but their way of doing things doesn’t sit right with me.

If this is a rule, shouldn’t they notify users?

He also said, we can report the USB key as lost but not computers. So as long as I’m forming over 60 bucks for a usb dongle I can report those as lost. So I have to ask, What is the difference?
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

• Information