Reason Peak Meter VS Selig Gain Metering

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
FrankJaeger

04 May 2019

I have a quick question.
Is the metering more accurate in Reason's meter (set to peak) or in Selig Audio's Gain? The reason I ask is because Reason's meter says my fully mixed record is sitting good at about -5db while Selig Gain (in the master insert section with no other plugins before it) says I should worry by occasionally peaking at 0 and sometimes going over to +1db. I'm confused by this...

Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

EdGrip

05 May 2019

I think by default, the master insert box puts things *before* the master bus comp and master fader. If the comp is off and the fader is at 0 it shouldn't make a difference..

But, just to eliminate it as a factor, the "correct" thing to do would be to patch the Selig Gain between the master section and your audio interface - literally the very last thing before the I/O section. The Big Meter reads from this point too.

It's handy practice to save a combi at this position in the chain in your default template, so that you can put "last thing" effects like mastering EQs and limiters here, and bypass them all with one button.
Save a Selig Gain in the combi for quick mono checking.

FrankJaeger

07 May 2019

EdGrip wrote:
05 May 2019
I think by default, the master insert box puts things *before* the master bus comp and master fader. If the comp is off and the fader is at 0 it shouldn't make a difference..

But, just to eliminate it as a factor, the "correct" thing to do would be to patch the Selig Gain between the master section and your audio interface - literally the very last thing before the I/O section. The Big Meter reads from this point too.

It's handy practice to save a combi at this position in the chain in your default template, so that you can put "last thing" effects like mastering EQs and limiters here, and bypass them all with one button.
Save a Selig Gain in the combi for quick mono checking.
Thanks for the reply.
I only put the Selig Gain in the master inserts to use as a Mono/Stereo switch (I always mix completely in mono and then switch to stereo to balance the faders because of the pan laws in Reason) I was just wondering why I was getting two very different readings. Your suggestion about the combi is cool but I don't master in Reason anyway, just mix as I feel the mixer gives a "million dollar" sound.
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

• Information