Will there be a 10.5?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
QVprod

21 Apr 2019

123repeater wrote:
21 Apr 2019
I'll probably hold off til 12 then. I don't appreciate the update just being it working as it was supposed to.
There's a lot more to Reason 10 than the 10.3 change in how it handles VSTs. But sure if 10 doesn't interest you, then wait. I skipped version 8.
Luxuria wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Disregard the number system, it's what Pheads wants it to be.
It's all perspective of what an upgrade is. I wouldn't say it's strange if someone feels more can be added because again 10.1 >10.2>10.3> 10.x makes logical sense. To someone who's coming from a different DAW it can feel underwhelming. For instance, the workflow update added 3 major changes (multi fader control, multi midi edit, and adaptive grid). There is still multi audio edit that still hasn't been addressed so it's fair to say the workflow update didn't cover "as much" workflow to some folks.

If you a user feels they didn't get their money's worth in an upgrade, skip the next release and move on. Pheads makes the rules on their product and how much is added in each release. We all have a duty to respect them and also represent the power of business for the smart consumer to purchase their interpretation of an upgrade.
More can always be added. That doesn't imply free update though. The idea that it would is indeed strange to me. Every DAW has things that don't work are well as other DAWs including things Reason does better than others. I have Studio One, and a fair amount of those huge updates could be labeled as making things work as they should have in the first place. Ultimately I don't think someone should buy an upgrade if they don't think it's worth it. Rather than feeling buyers remorse that they purchased something hoping for updates that were never promised.

Luxuria

21 Apr 2019

QVprod wrote:
21 Apr 2019

More can always be added. That doesn't imply free update though. The idea that it would is indeed strange to me. Every DAW has things that don't work are well as other DAWs including things Reason does better than others. I have Studio One, and a fair amount of those huge updates could be labeled as making things work as they should have in the first place. Ultimately I don't think someone should buy an upgrade if they don't think it's worth it. Rather than feeling buyers remorse that they purchased something hoping for updates that were never promised.
I completely agree with you the buyer's remorse statement. That is why the 30 day trials are so important and why I respect PHeads for resetting them when updates change the way a product works.

I'd personally rather see more things updates then less. In cases like Reason and i'd assume Studio One, nothing is ever broken to the point that it needs a fix asap. If it does it gets addressed quickly. That studio one update improved on a lot of things that were already usable right? Reason's updates are the same but less. The waiting game for everyone's requested feature is tougher as a Reason fan.

It's not strange to me when the competition is dishing out more updates for free, promising free version ugrades for life, and fixing bugs for the most recent updates before the other company has even a chance to fix their old ones.

reggie1979

21 Apr 2019

Well, I like Reason pretty much the way it is. There is another thread on "complaints" and that outlines some of the small things people want.

I'd love to see a 10.5. I'd love to see the little things addressed but I feel that another synthathon/11 will come first.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

Funny how different people think. I believe a fair number of new users came on board with Reason as VST got included. But If I bought a car that was advertised to have an automatic transmission, I take it for a quick spin (30d trial), then only notice after my purchase that hmm, it does not shift into fifth gear on the highway so I'm stuck doing 40mph (65kph), I'll be like...wut? Now we got the fifth gear (10.3 great!), and things flow nicely on the highway. BUT, I also noticed that when I try to pull out of a parking lot the transmission was missing a reverse gear..., wut? So, yes, some of us expect that stuff just works, and I need and expect a reverse gear in my car, just like I expect a midi out of the VST. I think it would make sense for PH to add more sequencer work-flow items as a 10.5, that could be the final straw to get pre-v9 user to upgrade, they get VST, speed like other DAWs, and the sequencer work-flow (midi+audio) that the competition offer (if my 10.5 vision becomes reality).

For v11, I don't know what would be compelling. More synths? Gee I have enough, and it sounds many users have more than enough to cover the basics. "A.I." midi tools is the rage right now, maybe that is something for v11. Maybe they can do NN-XT v2 that has features to challenge Kontakt and Falcon/Helios, so release next year and call it NN-2020? lol Massive X, kHs PhasePlant, and Kontakt all wrapped into one ... the ULTIMATE machine. I can see chord track and audio to chord track as v11 thing, as well as polyphonic pitch shifting, or some new spectral time stretch pitch shifting. Nobody has made the code to do a VP-9000 "clone" yet, how is that still not a VST in 2019???
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

esselfortium

21 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
21 Apr 2019

I'd love to see a 10.5. I'd love to see the little things addressed but I feel that another synthathon/11 will come first.
I'd be pretty surprised if we got another update that's primarily focused on new synths for a while. Reason 10 was pretty much catching up in that department after having hardly added any new native rack devices since Reason 6.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

reggie1979

21 Apr 2019

If so, cool, but reason 10 was announced as the "best update ever" or something like that , and Europa and Grain were the two biggest advantages. Me? Cynical? Naw, you must be kidding!

guitfnky

22 Apr 2019

Boombastix wrote:
21 Apr 2019

For v11, I don't know what would be compelling.
probably those sequencer work-flow items you mentioned.

it might make more sense for them to focus on those for 11. there’s arguably some benefit to doing a big push for the workflow stuff in a major release—advertising and getting users excited for the update in advance of release. and since by definition there would be significant changes to how to work with the program, doing some of the pre-release demonstrations they’ve done with the last couple of versions would be useful. we usually don’t see those things for minor point releases.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

QVprod

22 Apr 2019

Boombastix wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Funny how different people think. I believe a fair number of new users came on board with Reason as VST got included. But If I bought a car that was advertised to have an automatic transmission, I take it for a quick spin (30d trial), then only notice after my purchase that hmm, it does not shift into fifth gear on the highway so I'm stuck doing 40mph (65kph), I'll be like...wut? Now we got the fifth gear (10.3 great!), and things flow nicely on the highway. BUT, I also noticed that when I try to pull out of a parking lot the transmission was missing a reverse gear..., wut? So, yes, some of us expect that stuff just works, and I need and expect a reverse gear in my car, just like I expect a midi out of the VST. I think it would make sense for PH to add more sequencer work-flow items as a 10.5, that could be the final straw to get pre-v9 user to upgrade, they get VST, speed like other DAWs, and the sequencer work-flow (midi+audio) that the competition offer (if my 10.5 vision becomes reality).
As far as VSTs go I agree, there would naturally be certain expectations. However the comment by the OP was that there should be a 10.5 because 10.3 was 'making something work the way it was supposed to'. I'm not against free stuff, but wouldn't midi out in a VST as well as some sequencer improvements qualify as the same? Where does the line get drawn between a "feature" and a "fix"?

• Information