Will there be a 10.5?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
123repeater

20 Apr 2019

Now that we have 10.3 (I love it, but feel it's an upgrade that should have been there to begin with) do you think we'll get one more actual add-on. In the past a new device or something substantial wouldn't be out of the question mid cycle.

reggie1979

20 Apr 2019

I dunno. Still remember the "now back to 8.4" that never happened.

Reason is a good program, but the last .5 update was paid. So I'd rather wait for 11. Hopefully it will go to 11 ;)

reggie1979

20 Apr 2019

Oh, and won't be a new sythathon in place of real-world usefulness (I'm still trying to learn Europa and Grain)

123repeater

20 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

Reason is a good program, but the last .5 update was paid. So I'd rather wait for 11. Hopefully it will go to 11 ;)
9.5 wasn't paid unless you didn't have 9 already.

reggie1979

20 Apr 2019

123repeater wrote:
20 Apr 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

9.5 wasn't paid unless you didn't have 9 already.
?

I thought the vst update was paid? Sorry then, never mind, apologies.

123repeater

20 Apr 2019

It wasn't and my argument for there being some sort of additional upgrade would be that the 10.3 simply added functionality that should have already been there for a true product in its 10th iteration. And they arent promoting 10.3 on their youtube page cause they dont wanna look like they had it wrong to begin with.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

Well, I agree. 10.3 was to "fix the flats on the car". Personally I jumped on Reason as v10 was in the pipe-line, it was the VST update of Reason 9.5 that caught my eye. No VST no Reason, in my case. But then when starting to use Reason 10 for full new production, it kinda left me hanging with half finished songs. The performance pretty much just wouldn't let me take it to a finished track. But while learning Reason I decided to invest into the RE system, still unaware of the performance issues. Now $1000 or $1500 later (whatever that number is) and v10.3 I can take Reason all the way. That is great, but it left me hanging for, eh 18mo I guess? (and big bucks out of pocket). The silver lining is, I am not in need to buy a new MOBO and CPU.

So personally I feel there shall be a fairly impressive work-flow + feature midi/audio update as a 10.5. I know many of us have given feedback about VST midi out (it is OK if it happens as a Combinator 2.0), midi tools in the sequencer (piano roll functions, midi comp editing), clip over-lay of audio pitch edit AND midi notes, set scale in piano roll (insert/move midi notes snap to scale and better clarity of what lines that belong to the scale, some color separation of octaves), the piano roll piano strip light up with pressed midi key, note name on the midi note bars, e.g. "C4", better browser/search, and so on. I also want better audio pitch recognition of bass notes, chord track, audio to chord track. Well, we all know what the latest Studio 1 and Cubase can do with audio, and FL Studio is pretty good with midi note editing, among others.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

guitfnky

21 Apr 2019

highly doubtful there will be a 10.5. they already did give us some additional functionality in the 10.x updates we got before 10.3. the ability to have the playhead return to where it was before you started playback was one of them—there were a few others, but I can’t recall what they were, off the top of my head.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

DrGOA®

21 Apr 2019

I think there will be NO Reason 10.5. Right to Reason 11.

Heigen5

21 Apr 2019

I believe the next Reason will be 11. I'm pretty sure the Props need a big income boost every while and then, so that's why Reason 11 is probably gonna be their next big Reason release. I'll gladly pay them, they deserve that money.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

The Last .5 upgrade was 9.5. It had vst support and it was free to every owner of reason 9.

AFAIK only major versions were paid in all reasons history, and you even had a pay what you want on reason 6.

QVprod

21 Apr 2019

I think expecting more features is a little strange. 10.3 was a fix, yes. However when you bought 10, you bought what came with 10. Any additions after that are icing on the cake. I don’t believe Propellerhead has promised major feature .5 upgrades with every version. And I get it. When you look at DAWs like Studio One and Logic that get huge updates mid cycle, but again icing on the cake. If those companies charged for it, they’d be justified.

MikeMcKew

21 Apr 2019

Don't forget that Reason 10.1 and Reason 10.2 were also free updates! So anyone who bought into Reason 10 now has gotten the content update from the original Reason 10 update, the Player update (and the free Drum Sequencer if you caught it in time), and the workflow update... in addition to the performance update, now.

That's not to say there's aren't more things we'd all like to see fixed, but these things take time and the company still has to make money. I think that's a solid set of updates for one upgrade fee. It covers a lot of the major bases. I won't say no to a free 10.5 update, of course, but personally I'll be happy to wait and see what Reason 11 has in store.

123repeater

21 Apr 2019

I don't know why they stick with such misleading numbers then. It should be Release 10. Updates 10.5 next.. the whole 10.3's and 8.4's lead speculation. Guess its marketing. I remember getting the convo reverb late in the game on reason 8 i think? That's the type of update im still hoping for. Or even just a few more work flow things. The 10.3 was the only true update and it should have been part of 10 original release.

fieldframe
RE Developer

21 Apr 2019

There won’t be a 10.5.

Look at it this way: There have been two .5 versions of Reason in the past decade, 6.5 and 9.5. Both were fundamental changes to the Reason ecosystem, with the introduction of RE and VST, respectively. What could Propellerhead even do to expand the ecosystem right now that would merit a .5 update?

Aquila

21 Apr 2019

It goes to eleven!

123repeater

21 Apr 2019

I'll probably hold off til 12 then. I don't appreciate the update just being it working as it was supposed to.

Luxuria

21 Apr 2019

Disregard the number system, it's what Pheads wants it to be.

As others have stated and I agree as well that from previous experience and keeping up with Reason's release cycles, it's likely 10.3 is the end cycle to Reason 10.

The sale going on right now with buy reason 10, get 350 dollars worth of in house RE's is the exact same deal I had when I bought version 7, to be surprised with a nice 8 upgrade free the month after because I fell within the window. My add ons were synchronus, radical keys, and a few others.

Reason 11 can likely around the corner. What is going to be the selling point is unknown.

I believe the best time to buy Reason 10 is the day before 11 comes out because you get a true representation of what the version added.

I'm salty at the thought that when a new version rolls around and is showing lackluster upgrade features only to see people saying, "Upgrade now and hope to see x feature in a later point update." It's on similar merit to pre ordering.

In my opinion, I think Reason updates are on the light end side when you think of features added, new synths included stock, bug fixes, and re-works and revamps. For others here you can see they are happy with them.

It's all perspective of what an upgrade is. I wouldn't say it's strange if someone feels more can be added because again 10.1 >10.2>10.3> 10.x makes logical sense. To someone who's coming from a different DAW it can feel underwhelming. For instance, the workflow update added 3 major changes (multi fader control, multi midi edit, and adaptive grid). There is still multi audio edit that still hasn't been addressed so it's fair to say the workflow update didn't cover "as much" workflow to some folks.

If you a user feels they didn't get their money's worth in an upgrade, skip the next release and move on. Pheads makes the rules on their product and how much is added in each release. We all have a duty to respect them and also represent the power of business for the smart consumer to purchase their interpretation of an upgrade.

boingy

21 Apr 2019

I really hope that PH have their radar tuned in to the fact that, now that VSTs are a thing, it's not enough to just come up with one new flagship instrument and a bit of filler for R11. They need to decide whether Reason is just a synth rack and/or an EDM tool or whether they want to properly compete with the new wave of DAWs. Live, Bitwig ad Reaper are all a quantum leap ahead of Reason in the DAW league. I've got Rob Papen, Omnisphere and Massive at my fingertips, with or without Reason.

Reason is not cheap so R11 needs to go BIIIG or go home. I skipped R10. With R11 my wallet needs some persuasion....

Oquasec

21 Apr 2019

for 130$, Reason 10 gave us 6 rack devices.
So that was a bargain : /

So Reason 11 def needs to add something of course for 130$.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

ShawnG

21 Apr 2019

123repeater wrote:
21 Apr 2019
I'll probably hold off til 12 then. I don't appreciate the update just being it working as it was supposed to.
You do what you like. The update was not a bug fix, as the audio engine in 10.2 and every version before it was working as intended. There were valid reasons it worked as it did, it is just that priorities have changed, and plugin performance is now deemed more valuable than cv wiring efficiency.

reggie1979

21 Apr 2019

mcatalao wrote:
21 Apr 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
20 Apr 2019

The Last .5 upgrade was 9.5. It had vst support and it was free to every owner of reason 9.

AFAIK only major versions were paid in all reasons history, and you even had a pay what you want on reason 6.
Got it.

I wasn't on board with reason between 8.3 and 10 but that was a generous update!

Exowildebeest

21 Apr 2019

I say, give the workerbees at Propellerheads a rest, and let RE developers carry us through the summer :) Now that they won't be crucified as quickly as before for CPU useage, they're finally free to take some more risk with advanced icing-on-the-soundcake algorithms ;)

reggie1979

21 Apr 2019

Nope no rest. Get busy would ya!

guitfnky

21 Apr 2019

123repeater wrote:
21 Apr 2019
I don't know why they stick with such misleading numbers then. It should be Release 10. Updates 10.5 next.. the whole 10.3's and 8.4's lead speculation. Guess its marketing. I remember getting the convo reverb late in the game on reason 8 i think? That's the type of update im still hoping for. Or even just a few more work flow things. The 10.3 was the only true update and it should have been part of 10 original release.
10.1 gave us sample loading in Europa and if you’d already bought version 10, Drum Sequencer for free.

10.2 gave us this (from Props site): “Reason 10.2 is the result of your feedback on Reason 10, adding several workflow features. View and edit MIDI across multiple lanes, adjust multiple faders, solo and mute in the mixer at once, snap notes to an adaptive grid based on zoom level, instantly use your controller with Easy MIDI Inputs, jump directly to rack devices from sequencer lanes and quickly add tracks in the sequencer or devices in the rack.”

if anything is misleading, it’s the insinuation that we haven’t gotten anything worthwhile since the base v10 release. 😒
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information