Glitches with Reason 10.3 update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mode7

19 Apr 2019

Hi there,

I see that almost everybody is satisfied by the update, but to me it's quite disappointing.

I'm using Reason on my laptop with the Realtek chipset with Asio4All V2 driver (buffer size about 512 samples). With the 10.2 version, no problem, except with "computer too slow" messages, but that's Ok since I use plenty of RE and VSTs.

With the 10.3 update, the ASIO4ALL driver become unusable with major glitches on sound (sounds very slow and distorted).
With the MME and DX drivers, I experience extreme latency in some cases, and random major glitches that force me to switch btw drivers (again, when glitch occur, the sound is very slow and distorted).

That's Very annoying, because it turns Reason 10 almost unusable.

Anyone has already experienced the same ?

antic604

19 Apr 2019

Mode7 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
Did this happen with 10.3? Because I - in similar situation, using on-board sound card - had problems getting Asio4ALL to work already few months ago after one of Windows 10 updates and not only in Reason. However, regular Windows drivers worked fine as is Steinberg's Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver (but I think you need Cubase for that).

So no, 10.3 works great for me on internal sound card (soma variant of Realtek as well), both on Surface Pro and Lenovo Y730.

Mode7

19 Apr 2019

Yeah it happens in v10.3.

And, as I said, Windows 10 driver (DX and MME) are not fine, because off latency and random glitches

ScuzzyEye

19 Apr 2019

Mode7 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
I'm using Reason on my laptop with the Realtek chipset with Asio4All V2 driver (buffer size about 512 samples). With the 10.2 version, no problem, except with "computer too slow" messages, but that's Ok since I use plenty of RE and VSTs.
How often were you getting the Computer too slow messages? They were removed in 10.3. Instead of Reason stopping when overloaded, it now under-runs the buffer, which will result in clicks and pops, and when pushed very far the audio will also become noticeably slower. I would always turn off the too slow message in previous versions, because I'd rather be able to keep working, rather than have everything stop every time the track got a little busy. It may be that you're computer is just too slow for what you're asking it to do. Reason just won't tell you that any more.

guitfnky

19 Apr 2019

ASIO4ALL has worked spottily for me even before 10.3. is there an ASIO driver you can try that’s not ASIO4ALL?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

mjxl

19 Apr 2019

guitfnky wrote:
19 Apr 2019
ASIO4ALL has worked spottily for me even before 10.3. is there an ASIO driver you can try that’s not ASIO4ALL?
Voicemeeter has built-in ASIO :)

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm (use Banana or Potato)

PhillipOrdonez

19 Apr 2019

The audio slowing down and becoming distorted only happens to me when the battery gets exactly 26% and plugging it in again fixes the issue.

I don't use asio4all and honestly don't understand what is the point of that driver? If sobrino has an external sound card, why not use the drivers that belong to that card? Why bring in another set of drivers? Or folk who use that only use the internal soundcard?

Mode7

19 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
19 Apr 2019
Mode7 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
How often were you getting the Computer too slow messages? They were removed in 10.3. Instead of Reason stopping when overloaded, it now under-runs the buffer, which will result in clicks and pops, and when pushed very far the audio will also become noticeably slower. I would always turn off the too slow message in previous versions, because I'd rather be able to keep working, rather than have everything stop every time the track got a little busy. It may be that you're computer is just too slow for what you're asking it to do. Reason just won't tell you that any more.
On 10.2, I had "too slow" messages when i was running songs with multiples RE with FX like Delay etc...

Right now, the glitches appears even when there is a single Redrum on the project and nothing else ! (I'm running an i5 5200 with 12 GB Ram).

ScuzzyEye

19 Apr 2019

Mode7 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
On 10.2, I had "too slow" messages when i was running songs with multiples RE with FX like Delay etc...

Right now, the glitches appears even when there is a single Redrum on the project and nothing else ! (I'm running an i5 5200 with 12 GB Ram).
Ah, I see.

Did you try using the older behavior mode of the buffer size being uncoupled from the batch size? In Preferences it's on the Audio tab. Uncheck "Render audio using audio card buffer size setting". That restores the 10.2 behavior. See if that improves anything.

Mode7

19 Apr 2019

I tried to check and uncheck every box, but I don't think it resolved anything. I'll test that tonight.

middle_color

19 Apr 2019

Mode7 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
Hi there,

I see that almost everybody is satisfied by the update, but to me it's quite disappointing.

With the 10.3 update, the ASIO4ALL driver become unusable with major glitches on sound (sounds very slow and distorted).
With the MME and DX drivers, I experience extreme latency in some cases, and random major glitches that force me to switch btw drivers (again, when glitch occur, the sound is very slow and distorted).

That's Very annoying, because it turns Reason 10 almost unusable.

I suggest that you try to reinstall ASIO4ALL.
Once OS update broke it. And after reinstalling it problem gone.

I remember that there was also similar glitches, but not in all DAWs that i use. So i spend 2 days until understood that problems is in driver.

JerrelTheKing

19 Apr 2019

Since updating to 10.3 its not recoginzing my Waves or Slate Digital plugins at all! It keeps asking me to rescan licenses for Waves and it still hasnt worked. I contacted support they took 2 days to give me an answer of removing the plugin folder on reason then start the program again. Nothing. Now I'm waiting out hearing what their next step is... very slow support time.. I'm working on projects this is pathetic.

joeyluck

19 Apr 2019

For anybody having serious issues and a current project with no time to troubleshoot, I would suggest reverting for the time being. https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/updates

Chances are something could be unrelated to Reason, but only seems related because a Reason update just happened (perhaps at the same time as something else). If a problem still persists with Reason 10.2, that wasn't there before, then there's a chance it's not Reason related. If the problem is gone with Reason 10.2, well then at least you can continue to work and confirm the issue is 10.3 related.

evolve187

19 Apr 2019

ASIO UX2 Driver for my Line 6 USB interface fails to load when reason boots with 10.3 but was fine in 10.2... ASIOFORALL V2 worked once then now fails...only the crappy DX driver seems to work..Unfortunately it sounds terrible and has higher latency. I opened a ticket with Props.. They have had a number of complaints about it...such a weird thing to lose compatibility for. Sadly this driver seems abandoned by Line 6 as its last update was 2015 :-( ..... I hope they find a fix soon, I really want the improved performance 10.3 offers.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

kuhliloach

20 Apr 2019

Mode7

20 Apr 2019

I re-installed thé ASIO4ALL driver Yesterday. Seems to work...
Wait and see...

Thx a lot everybody

raider69

21 Apr 2019

evolve187 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
ASIO UX2 Driver for my Line 6 USB interface fails to load when reason boots with 10.3 but was fine in 10.2... ASIOFORALL V2 worked once then now fails...only the crappy DX driver seems to work..Unfortunately it sounds terrible and has higher latency. I opened a ticket with Props.. They have had a number of complaints about it...such a weird thing to lose compatibility for. Sadly this driver seems abandoned by Line 6 as its last update was 2015 :-( ..... I hope they find a fix soon, I really want the improved performance 10.3 offers.
Same exact thing happened to me. "ASIO Toneport UX2" gets a big red X when selected. Worked fine before. Thought it was the update but I did not yet update the Reason Intro version and had the same thing, red X. Submitted a ticket last Thursday and have heard nothing (holiday?)

They REALLY want you to use a 24 bit device and the antique Toneports are 16 bit. Maybe a Windows update did something. I'll let you know if support gets back to me.

raider69

22 Apr 2019

Confirmed...reverted back to 10.2 and the TonePort UX2 ASIO problem follows the 10.3 update.

raider69

22 Apr 2019

joeyluck wrote:
19 Apr 2019
For anybody having serious issues and a current project with no time to troubleshoot, I would suggest reverting for the time being. https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/updates

Chances are something could be unrelated to Reason, but only seems related because a Reason update just happened (perhaps at the same time as something else). If a problem still persists with Reason 10.2, that wasn't there before, then there's a chance it's not Reason related. If the problem is gone with Reason 10.2, well then at least you can continue to work and confirm the issue is 10.3 related.
Confirmed...reverted back to 10.2, and my TonePort UX2 ASIO problem follows the 10.3 update.

Azoetia

23 Apr 2019

evolve187 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
I have exactly the same issue. I use line 6 UX2 and had no problems at all until 10.3 was installed. Now I get a red X for my ASIO UX2. I know it isn't anything to do with the audio interface, because it still works fine in standalone mode. What the fuck is going on? Anyone have a solution?

evolve187

30 Apr 2019

Azoetia wrote:
23 Apr 2019
evolve187 wrote:
19 Apr 2019
I have exactly the same issue. I use line 6 UX2 and had no problems at all until 10.3 was installed. Now I get a red X for my ASIO UX2. I know it isn't anything to do with the audio interface, because it still works fine in standalone mode. What the fuck is going on? Anyone have a solution?
I have since been able to use the ASIOFORALL v2 which has been ok but also fails on Reason startup about 50% of the time. If you unplug the USB from the interface and reload the driver in the preferences it seems to work...not greatest solution but at least I can still work with 10.3. hopefully they resolve it in the next minor update but i wouldn't bet the farm on it...we are likely small potatoes in the grand scheme of reason users. :|
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

• Information