Soooo ... what is there left to complain about (2019) ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

22 Apr 2019

two shoes wrote:
21 Apr 2019
You left out the feature that's more commonly requested and more important to the largest number of users than all of this stuff put together except, arguably, hi-res/scaling gui - MIDI VST OUT.
no.

it’s been requested, sure, but certainly not more frequently than other improvements. the need for sequencer updates, and other basic DAW quality of life requests get made far more often than MIDI out for VSTs.

and they haven’t even gone a full version cycle with VST implementation. please, spare us the righteous indignation.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Kalm

22 Apr 2019

I wouldn't just say a combinator update, make it a digital keyboard controller macro. Might as well. . . it's a MIDI based DAW. 8 knobs, 8 buttons, pick and mod, XY, slider, anything you'll see on a keyboard today.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Wook

22 Apr 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
22 Apr 2019
Wook wrote:
22 Apr 2019
My biggest complain atm is the really slow and confused browser. It keeps scanning folders and sounds and the problem is not my computer. Live and Bitwig open instantly. I get into the flow and think, oh, there was this awesome crunchy rimshot in Wave Alchemy folder, let me grab it. And then it scans for half a minute. Very frustrating. It also loses focus and opens random folders when I press the folder icon on devices.
That doesn't happen to me at all.
Ok?

mashers

22 Apr 2019

Ugh, change "redo" to Command+Shift+Z on a Mac. Command+Y for redo is not the system-wide standard and it bugs me every single time. The key combinations are clearly already wrapped in #ifdef statements so they recognise the correct qualifier key depending on the platform. So the binding for this should be changed on the Mac version.

mashers

22 Apr 2019

Wook wrote:
22 Apr 2019
Ok?
I think the point was that this is not normal behaviour, so shouldn't be a "feature request".

two shoes

22 Apr 2019

ShawnG wrote:
21 Apr 2019
two shoes wrote:
21 Apr 2019

You left out the feature that's more commonly requested and more important to the largest number of users than all of this stuff put together except, arguably, hi-res/scaling gui - MIDI VST OUT. I personally won't be buying any paid update that doesn't fix this. The fact that they still don't support midio io or VST 3.0 this long after adding VST "support" is a bit of an embarassment and one of the reasons I can't really argue with people who denigrate Reason as an amateur/toy host that isn't in the same league as the "professional" DAW options.
Logic is pretty “pro” and MIDI out wasn’t even part of the AU plugin spec for like a decade, if it even is now...

Given how reason handles MIDI anyway, it is a fairly weird problem to solve, as there isn’t a drop down MIDI ecosystem currently in place, for even hardware MIDI, unless you lock a MIDI device to a track, so Props will have to invent some system of doing that first. (I’m rooting for visible midi cables in the rack, personally). Will be interesting to see how they do it, when/if they do.
Yes visible midi cables would be my first choice as well and open the door to a bunch of new player device functionality though i suspect we won't get this because they'll be worried about an additional layer of complexity for the rack intimidating or confusing novice users (many of the Props tutorial videos suggest that just audio and cv is confusing to many of their users). If I'm right and we can't have cables I'd settle for a dedicated player device that sits in between a VST with midi out and an instrument. I really hope they don't limit it to midi to cv since that would mean a lot of midi based VSTs still wouldn't have their full functionality, but I'm worried that will be the choice since it requires the smallest change to the existing rack paradigm.

Wook

22 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
22 Apr 2019
Wook wrote:
22 Apr 2019
Ok?
I think the point was that this is not normal behaviour, so shouldn't be a "feature request".
Mhm, how do other daws open instantly then?

reggie1979

22 Apr 2019

I'm not sure I'm following the browser thing here.

mashers

23 Apr 2019

Wook wrote:
22 Apr 2019
I have no idea. But if people are telling you that an issue you are having with a piece of software doesn't happen on their installation of the same software, then it is more likely that your installation is malfunctioning than all those other people somehow have the software working in a way it was not intended.

Zac

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Wook wrote:
22 Apr 2019
I have no idea. But if people are telling you that an issue you are having with a piece of software doesn't happen on their installation of the same software, then it is more likely that your installation is malfunctioning than all those other people somehow have the software working in a way it was not intended.
Or it could be that your set up doesn’t tax the software much compared to the other users' set up. In this case the size of the folders (sample / patch library).

I have to wait similar times to wook when browsing my folders.

mashers

23 Apr 2019

Zac wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Or it could be that your set up doesn’t tax the software much compared to the other users' set up. In this case the size of the folders (sample / patch library).

I don't know about that. My laptop can barely run Reason 10, and several of my tracks give me the "computer too slow to play song" error when I try to play them back. But the browser works fine. So I don't think it's a general performance issue.

Zac

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Zac wrote:
23 Apr 2019

I don't know about that. My laptop can barely run Reason 10, and several of my tracks give me the "computer too slow to play song" error when I try to play them back. But the browser works fine. So I don't think it's a general performance issue.
IMO it's more about the size of your libraries. If say you are opening folders with 100 files and 1gb and the other user is opening folders with 1000 files and 10gb then it's unsurprising that you don't have to wait but the other user does.

mashers

23 Apr 2019

Zac wrote:
23 Apr 2019
IMO it's more about the size of your libraries. If say you are opening folders with 100 files and 1gb and the other user is opening folders with 1000 files and 10gb then it's unsurprising that you don't have to wait but the other user does.
It could be a factor. Though I realise the numbers you gave were hypothetical, my library of samples, loops, instruments, refills etc. is 11.29GB with 2002 files. Perhaps you guys have extraordinarily large libraries and there is an issue with Reason dealing with that size of folder. The easy way to determine this would be to move a refill out of that folder and open it from there, and see if the same amount of time spent scanning is required.

EdGrip

23 Apr 2019

AutoTheory is the only MIDI VST that I'm personally aware of - so I think it's probably quite a niche product segment. I wouldn't be surprised if Propellerhead consider it safe to let Player devices fill that niche for most users.
I doubt the majority of people here - and users in general - have a pressing need for MIDI VSTs, if they even think about them at all.

Certainly, claiming it's the #1 most requested problem to solve is... fanciful.

Zac

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Zac wrote:
23 Apr 2019
It could be a factor. Though I realise the numbers you gave were hypothetical, my library of samples, loops, instruments, refills etc. is 11.29GB with 2002 files. Perhaps you guys have extraordinarily large libraries and there is an issue with Reason dealing with that size of folder. The easy way to determine this would be to move a refill out of that folder and open it from there, and see if the same amount of time spent scanning is required.
11gb but only 2k files tells me that most of your samples/patches are in refills. Another person might have a folder that contains their drum samples divided into another 10 folders (kick, snare etc) and each of those might contain 200 samples. That's 2k files in just one divided drum folder.

mashers

23 Apr 2019

Zac wrote:
23 Apr 2019
11gb but only 2k files tells me that most of your samples/patches are in refills. Another person might have a folder that contains their drum samples divided into another 10 folders (kick, snare etc) and each of those might contain 200 samples. That's 2k files in just one divided drum folder.
Actually you're right. So perhaps there is some indexing within a refill which means it does not need to be scanned as deeply as samples within folder/subfolder structures. I wonder if there is a tool which will take a folder and make it into a refill!

Loque

23 Apr 2019

mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
I wonder if there is a tool which will take a folder and make it into a refill!
This?
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... ill-Packer
Reason12, Win10

Zac

23 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
23 Apr 2019
mashers wrote:
23 Apr 2019
I wonder if there is a tool which will take a folder and make it into a refill!
This?
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... ill-Packer
Indeed. But if you want your samples available to other DAWs or programs then you need the original sample folders and the refill(s) you make, doubling storage size.

mashers

23 Apr 2019

Zac wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Indeed. But if you want your samples available to other DAWs or programs then you need the original sample folders and the refill(s) you make, doubling storage size.
That's true, but if we're talking about an amount in the order of gigabytes, then it's not usually prohibitively expensive to double the amount of storage. I would say it's worth it if it improves performance in Reason. And the refills can be deleted if performance is improved at a later date.

reddust

23 Apr 2019

Kalm wrote:
22 Apr 2019
I wouldn't just say a combinator update, make it a digital keyboard controller macro. Might as well. . . it's a MIDI based DAW. 8 knobs, 8 buttons, pick and mod, XY, slider, anything you'll see on a keyboard today.
That sounds pretty good to me too, the combinator is ind of limited and needs often for additional solutions to be used in its full potential

two shoes

23 Apr 2019

EdGrip wrote:
23 Apr 2019
AutoTheory is the only MIDI VST that I'm personally aware of - so I think it's probably quite a niche product segment. I wouldn't be surprised if Propellerhead consider it safe to let Player devices fill that niche for most users.
I doubt the majority of people here - and users in general - have a pressing need for MIDI VSTs, if they even think about them at all.

Certainly, claiming it's the #1 most requested problem to solve is... fanciful.
You're just out of the loop - being oblivious to the fastest growing segment of the plugin market doesn't negate its existence. Or maybe you're like my dog and think that if you don't look at something it isn't there?

two shoes

23 Apr 2019

Also I didn't say it's the most requested feature, I said it's the most important. No midi VST support is a complete deal breaker for a huge number of people, especially the younger crowd that is entering the market these days (also the most critical group to reach for long term growth). There are very few, if any, other feature requests that's true of - video might be one except there are usable workarounds for that.

EdGrip

23 Apr 2019

two shoes wrote: ↑
21 Apr 2019

You left out the feature that's more commonly requested (...) than all of this stuff put together except, arguably, hi-res/scaling gui - MIDI VST OUT.

two shoes

23 Apr 2019

lol, maybe no one will notice the brackets where you deleted most of the sentence to change it's meaning...

guitfnky

23 Apr 2019

two shoes wrote:
23 Apr 2019
Also I didn't say it's the most requested feature, I said it's the most important. No midi VST support is a complete deal breaker for a huge number of people, especially the younger crowd that is entering the market these days (also the most critical group to reach for long term growth). There are very few, if any, other feature requests that's true of - video might be one except there are usable workarounds for that.
it’s not. if it were, it *would* be the most requested feature.

that’s not to say it shouldn’t be done (it should—and as soon as they can do it well). it’s just flat out not as crucial as you seem to think, that’s all.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information