Soooo ... what is there left to complain about (2019) ...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
diminished
Competition Winner

20 Apr 2019

dezma wrote:
20 Apr 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
19 Apr 2019

I'd like to know more about this. How does it integrate with Reason? CPU, etc.
You have the program and the vst. Launch vst in reason then open loopcloud and you van preview all your loops in sync. Drag n drop the samples you like in your song to reason. Done.

It started as a platform to buy samples but then they added support for local samples now version 4 adds editing loops. Just try it out it's free.
You also get welcome sample packs and, in addition, free new sounds every week. Incredible.

I load the VST connector with my Reason template (disabled by default) so it's always there when I need it.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

R1C0

20 Apr 2019

Great list, my items that haven't seen mentioned yet:
  • Increased vertical zoom
  • better multi screen support (mainly popups, vsts which show on the primary monitor instead of parent to the window it was opened from)
  • improved bussing - e.g. bus sends
  • parallel channel post inserts
  • linked clips

xbitz

20 Apr 2019

non used/muted tracks in blocks should be transparent on block level too (no just in main sequencer) to able to use overlapped blocks

MIDIs in both lanes should be visible ... currently the empty tracks of top block hide/cover the bottom ones

it would solve patterns/linked clips/automation clips etc. ... and Reason would be a workflow heaven ...
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

plaamook

20 Apr 2019

I'm not reading all that, short on time.

Combine Combinators
Advanced (basic) audio editing/ Sequencer upgrade
I'd still love for them to add Free Run to Matrix but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Whatever. Evertything after 10 is a gain for me.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Biolumin3sc3nt

20 Apr 2019

When Reason cooks me the perfect Steak and Rubs My Back late at night, I'll be a happy Camper.... untill then, I'll just be that Musician Dude not living in Mom's Basement

motuscott

20 Apr 2019

Looking for a good curry, hot but not too hot. Let's see what else.
My dead parents' unequivocal love
Less humans, more peace
Track folders
OK, I'll stop while I'm ahead.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

BananaSkins

20 Apr 2019

A randomized 'Color Button' to totally transform all visable colors to wake my eyes up after a heavy mixing session! :puf_bigsmile:

mreese80

20 Apr 2019

Still no real-time audio slicing. Which they would add glide mode like they have in Fl Studio and maschine so we can bend the 808s. I don't like having to draw in the points. It's time consuming and slows the work flow. I use maschine as a vst to do that. Note repeat on the Kong would be dope. More banks for Kong would be dope. MPC software has 8 banks we can switch to if needed. I don't need that many...just saying. 16 level mode for Kong would be dope. Kong emulates MPC in a way so let's make it more MPC'ish lol. But theres Serato for all the real-time slicing and 16 level mode but Reason should have it. These are things I would like to see. The same requests as before. :D
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

reggie1979

20 Apr 2019

dezma wrote:
20 Apr 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
19 Apr 2019

I'd like to know more about this. How does it integrate with Reason? CPU, etc.
You have the program and the vst. Launch vst in reason then open loopcloud and you van preview all your loops in sync. Drag n drop the samples you like in your song to reason. Done.

It started as a platform to buy samples but then they added support for local samples now version 4 adds editing loops. Just try it out it's free.
Thanks!

kimothebeatmaker

21 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019
- better browser with database (tagging, auto-completion, key press to jump to letters, opening the browser from within a device automatically lists all patches in all locations including refills)
- new combinator
- "advanced" scales&chords
- vst3 & vst midi Out
- higher resolution support
I agree with this, and it would be sweet if we could get a
+ New sampler (NNXT2) that is completely midi mappable, with realtime pitch/tempo stretch with session, non destructive editing and slicing, and pitch and tempo detection.
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2019

kimothebeatmaker wrote:
21 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019
- better browser with database (tagging, auto-completion, key press to jump to letters, opening the browser from within a device automatically lists all patches in all locations including refills)
- new combinator
- "advanced" scales&chords
- vst3 & vst midi Out
- higher resolution support
I agree with this, and it would be sweet if we could get a
+ New sampler (NNXT2) that is completely midi mappable, with realtime pitch/tempo stretch with session, non destructive editing and slicing, and pitch and tempo detection.
Cool stuff! Maybe even with a step sequencer. Like an empty A-List device, programmable and on steroids!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

two shoes

21 Apr 2019

avasopht wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Popular reason pain points (to the best of my memory):
  1. Lack of VSTs
  2. Track folding
  3. Traditional workflow features like punch-in / out, etc.
  4. Reason sound
  5. Mp3 export
  6. No track freezing
    • No managed track freezing (auto unfreeze upon edit)
    • No smart freezing to save CPU
  7. Advanced note editing (on the level of FLStudio)
  8. Pitch editing
  9. Automatic delay compensation
  10. Multitrack recording
  11. Time stretching
  12. "T-pain" effect
  13. Recording samples into devices
  14. RE limitations on graphics and other interesting stuff
  15. Oversampling switch for all devices to make them individually process at higher sample rates (another of my own)
  16. Better hi-res support
  17. Drag & drop
  18. *Something something* Studio One *something* (can't remember what it was exactly, and totally not seeking to denigrate the complaint ...)
  19. Performance of VSTs
  20. ARA support (not a common complaint, but just thought I'd put it out there)
  21. Computer too slow message (not that that was really a problem, but it was brought up)
  22. Allow smart batches (so that feedback loops can work at low latency but devices not in a loop a processed in larger batches)
    • And a switch for low batches within a combinator
When you lay out all of the major complaints and just look at how many of those are crossed off, I think my "investment" in Reason really paid off. On top of that, my craft has improved so much by committing to a handful of refills, and taking full responsibility for my sound.
You left out the feature that's more commonly requested and more important to the largest number of users than all of this stuff put together except, arguably, hi-res/scaling gui - MIDI VST OUT. I personally won't be buying any paid update that doesn't fix this. The fact that they still don't support midio io or VST 3.0 this long after adding VST "support" is a bit of an embarassment and one of the reasons I can't really argue with people who denigrate Reason as an amateur/toy host that isn't in the same league as the "professional" DAW options.

xylyx

21 Apr 2019

Yup, midi VST is a big one for me too. Until I can use Thesys, I'm not going to be happy.

After that, it's folder tracks and/or show & hide channels (in sequencer and mixer) and having all my refills scanned so that all patches for specific Reason devices show up in one location for ease of use. Then a bunch of usability things, such as being able to rename clips like every other DAW allows you to.

reggie1979

21 Apr 2019

avasopht wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Popular reason pain points (to the best of my memory):

[*] "T-pain" effect

Didn't notice this before. That should be a ban-able offense.

Luxuria

21 Apr 2019

two shoes wrote:
21 Apr 2019

The fact that they still don't support midio io or VST 3.0 this long after adding VST "support" is a bit of an embarassment and one of the reasons I can't really argue with people who denigrate Reason as an amateur/toy host that isn't in the same league as the "professional" DAW options.
You're forgetting the PH motto, "Never go all the way."

They are always either a couple steps behind or release something that is less than fully baked.

buddard
RE Developer

21 Apr 2019

xylyx wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Then a bunch of usability things, such as being able to rename clips like every other DAW allows you to.
You mean like this?
Screenshot 2019-04-21 21.44.23.png
Screenshot 2019-04-21 21.44.23.png (13.58 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
Just right-click on a clip and choose "Add Labels to Clips".

zoidkirb

21 Apr 2019

Reason still has a chance to get vst 3 before Ableton Live at least!

One thing I'd like to see in Rack Devices is an option too see animation on parameters that we change via each devices own mod matrix, similar to how things are currently animated if you affect a parameter via the combinator or from sequencer automation.

reggie1979

21 Apr 2019

Just out of curiosity, why is vst3 important? Just because it's newer?

ShawnG

21 Apr 2019

two shoes wrote:
21 Apr 2019

You left out the feature that's more commonly requested and more important to the largest number of users than all of this stuff put together except, arguably, hi-res/scaling gui - MIDI VST OUT. I personally won't be buying any paid update that doesn't fix this. The fact that they still don't support midio io or VST 3.0 this long after adding VST "support" is a bit of an embarassment and one of the reasons I can't really argue with people who denigrate Reason as an amateur/toy host that isn't in the same league as the "professional" DAW options.
Logic is pretty “pro” and MIDI out wasn’t even part of the AU plugin spec for like a decade, if it even is now...

Given how reason handles MIDI anyway, it is a fairly weird problem to solve, as there isn’t a drop down MIDI ecosystem currently in place, for even hardware MIDI, unless you lock a MIDI device to a track, so Props will have to invent some system of doing that first. (I’m rooting for visible midi cables in the rack, personally). Will be interesting to see how they do it, when/if they do.

zoidkirb

21 Apr 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Just out of curiosity, why is vst3 important? Just because it's newer?

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/vst-2 ... es-you-do/

Looks like basically lots of little qol improvements. More accurate automation and better cpu efficiency sound nice. Sidechaining is a bit more integrated too.

xylyx

22 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
21 Apr 2019
xylyx wrote:
21 Apr 2019
Then a bunch of usability things, such as being able to rename clips like every other DAW allows you to.
You mean like this?

Yup, I know you can name them but I am specifically referring to renaming clips. You have to right click on the clip, choose to remove the label, then right click again and add a label...it's long winded when most of the DAWs I am familiar with allow you to double click on the label and change it. It's this lack of refinement in some areas of usability that I think need improving.

Wook

22 Apr 2019

My biggest complain atm is the really slow and confused browser. It keeps scanning folders and sounds and the problem is not my computer. Live and Bitwig open instantly. I get into the flow and think, oh, there was this awesome crunchy rimshot in Wave Alchemy folder, let me grab it. And then it scans for half a minute. Very frustrating. It also loses focus and opens random folders when I press the folder icon on devices.

buddard
RE Developer

22 Apr 2019

xylyx wrote:
22 Apr 2019
buddard wrote:
21 Apr 2019

You mean like this?

Yup, I know you can name them but I am specifically referring to renaming clips. You have to right click on the clip, choose to remove the label, then right click again and add a label...it's long winded when most of the DAWs I am familiar with allow you to double click on the label and change it. It's this lack of refinement in some areas of usability that I think need improving.
I can double-click on the label to rename it (Reason 10 on Mac):
Rename_clip.gif
Rename_clip.gif (118.18 KiB) Viewed 2184 times
But perhaps you were thinking of Block clips? You have to go into the Block in order to rename it instead of just renaming the Block clip directly on the song timeline. That would be a huge time saver for me since I basically only use Blocks to name the parts in my arrangements.

PhillipOrdonez

22 Apr 2019

Wook wrote:
22 Apr 2019
My biggest complain atm is the really slow and confused browser. It keeps scanning folders and sounds and the problem is not my computer. Live and Bitwig open instantly. I get into the flow and think, oh, there was this awesome crunchy rimshot in Wave Alchemy folder, let me grab it. And then it scans for half a minute. Very frustrating. It also loses focus and opens random folders when I press the folder icon on devices.
That doesn't happen to me at all.

xylyx

22 Apr 2019

buddard wrote:
22 Apr 2019
xylyx wrote:
22 Apr 2019

I can double-click on the label to rename it (Reason 10 on Mac):

Rename_clip.gif

But perhaps you were thinking of Block clips? You have to go into the Block in order to rename it instead of just renaming the Block clip directly on the song timeline. That would be a huge time saver for me since I basically only use Blocks to name the parts in my arrangements.
Thanks for that. I'm sure in the past that double clicking didn't work for me, although that might have been in an older version and I just hadn't checked it since...so, that's one less thing :D

• Information