[SOLVED] Reason Fails to Start After 10.3d78 Update

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GRIFTY

17 Apr 2019

EDIT if Reason 10.3 doesn't start for you on windows, MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't have Jack audio drivers installed.
Last edited by GRIFTY on 22 Apr 2019, edited 2 times in total.

WongoTheSane

17 Apr 2019

Have you tried clicking "Continue" instead of "Log in"?

GRIFTY

17 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
17 Apr 2019
There is no continue option. I have a "log-in" button, two links beneath that say "demo mode" and "more options". More options takes me to web browser "About Authorization" page. "Demo Mode" fails to start

splangie

17 Apr 2019

Dang, I updated 2 laptops and 2 desktops all running Win10 Pro and it was smooth. Just a couple minutes each.
Last edited by splangie on 17 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

17 Apr 2019

Does Authorizer work?

Loque

17 Apr 2019

Smells like Authorizer problems. Typically after a windows update which was just rolled out.
Check if the service is running or reinstall it.
Reason12, Win10

joeyluck

17 Apr 2019

GRIFTY wrote:
17 Apr 2019
WongoTheSane wrote:
17 Apr 2019
There is no continue option. I have a "log-in" button, two links beneath that say "demo mode" and "more options". More options takes me to web browser "About Authorization" page. "Demo Mode" fails to start
Do you typically have a continue option? Is your computer not authorized?
Still wouldn't explain why it wouldn't start in demo mode though...

rgdaniel

17 Apr 2019

GRIFTY wrote:
17 Apr 2019
So I installed the newest update and now Reason fails to start. Propellerhead screen, then login page, click enter, and nothing. This is beyond frustrating. Any fixes for this????
That happened to me on two separate updates, turned out that my anti-malware software quietly deleted the Reason executable (the main exe file). Had to do a full reinstall. Now I always make a point of turning off all anti-virus and anti-malware programs when updating Reason. And only Reason, no other programs seem to have a problem updating. Oh well, it is what it is. Not sure if this is what happened to you, but it might be a good habit to get into.

zero01101

17 Apr 2019

i actually had the same thing happen on my win10 reason 10.3 upgrade; event viewer showed reason crashing via ntdll.dll - watching everything through process monitor indicated the last DLL reason tried to load before crashing was the JACK dll. uninstalled JACK since i never used it anymore anyway, restarted laptop, boom, reason works. it's weird, since obviously 10.2 worked with JACK installed just fine since i opened it up and used the upgrader directly within reason, but oh well...

might help, might not...

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

joeyluck wrote:
17 Apr 2019
GRIFTY wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Do you typically have a continue option? Is your computer not authorized?
Still wouldn't explain why it wouldn't start in demo mode though...
I used to keep the ignition key in this computer but it no longer works and Props support literally just left me hanging. They send me to codemeter support who couldn't help me at all. So I just have to authorize it online every time now.

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

zero01101 wrote:
17 Apr 2019
i actually had the same thing happen on my win10 reason 10.3 upgrade; event viewer showed reason crashing via ntdll.dll - watching everything through process monitor indicated the last DLL reason tried to load before crashing was the JACK dll. uninstalled JACK since i never used it anymore anyway, restarted laptop, boom, reason works. it's weird, since obviously 10.2 worked with JACK installed just fine since i opened it up and used the upgrader directly within reason, but oh well...

might help, might not...
I don't have jack installed

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
17 Apr 2019
GRIFTY wrote:
17 Apr 2019
So I installed the newest update and now Reason fails to start. Propellerhead screen, then login page, click enter, and nothing. This is beyond frustrating. Any fixes for this????
That happened to me on two separate updates, turned out that my anti-malware software quietly deleted the Reason executable (the main exe file). Had to do a full reinstall. Now I always make a point of turning off all anti-virus and anti-malware programs when updating Reason. And only Reason, no other programs seem to have a problem updating. Oh well, it is what it is. Not sure if this is what happened to you, but it might be a good habit to get into.
Nope, exe file is right where it's supposed to be

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Smells like Authorizer problems. Typically after a windows update which was just rolled out.
Check if the service is running or reinstall it.
just reinstalled authorizer. Reason still won't start

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Does Authorizer work?
Yes

Loque

18 Apr 2019

You temporarily renamed your car folders, just to check if it is a VST? Maybe the logs say ergattern caused the crash.
Reason12, Win10

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

So I uninstalled, then reinstalled both Reason and Authorizer AGAIN today. Now, sometimes, I get an error message when trying to log-in:

"Log-in failed due to network error

The authorization server failed to respond. This indicates a problem with your Internet connection. Please verify that your Internet connection works correctly and then try again."

Well, my connection works well enough to be posting here doesn't it

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

I should add: after uninstall/reinstall, reason opened successfully exactly ONE (1) time. Now it's endless failures with no message, or failures with error message again. So bizarre

Also, support has left me hanging for about 24 hours with no damn response. This is great customer service, I'm so glad I spent thousands of dollars on software I can't sell. Especially happy that it requires me to sign in every %$#@%$@%$ time before I can use it on my own computer. In Soviet Russia, you no buy software, software buys YOU

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

Does anybody have the torrent link to the pre-10.3 version of Reason? I just want to make some &*($#&)!&)%#*@& beats

WongoTheSane

18 Apr 2019

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/updates

You don't have an anti-virus? It might either block Reason, or one of your VSTs (see Loque's suggestion above)...

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

phew thank you so much. I was looking all over their website for that page, i knew it had to exist. Maybe my blood pressure was too high to make any coherent observations. Uh yeah I run an anti-virus, but it's not blocking anything, nor does this explain why a software update would change the way it behaved

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

THANK YOU. 10.2 opens without issue.

WongoTheSane

18 Apr 2019

GRIFTY wrote:
18 Apr 2019
nor does this explain why a software update would change the way it behaved
Usually, anti-viruses operate by scanning the system for new files, block them by default, and only white-list them if they pass a series of tests... I would try 10.3 while completely disabling the AV to be sure.

GRIFTY

18 Apr 2019

trust me, it wasn't my anti-virus. Just gonna wait for any further updates

GRIFTY

22 Apr 2019

man i'm a huge idiot. i had jack drivers installed after all. i didn't think i did because I literally have never used it. It didn't work for my purposes!! Must have installed it years ago and just forgotten i had it.

10.3 works fine after uninstalling jack

Ostermilk

22 Apr 2019

Grifty I'm glad you eventually got it sorted, I was feeling your pain..

• Information