10.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
esselfortium

17 Apr 2019

bigguy1 wrote:
17 Apr 2019
One thing I noticed is that I can Drag 'n' Drop Midi from Kontakt now which I think wasn't possible before. Finally I can Drag the Midis from the NI Drummer Series :-)

Nice :D
I think that one was there before. I haven't tried from Kontakt but I was able to drag and drop midi from BFD3 to Reason's sequencer in earlier versions, at least.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

botnotbot

17 Apr 2019

ZiuMelle wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Ooooooo does that new option affect PDC?
I don't think it should, my issue was entirely between the keyboard and the chair. User fail!

miscend

17 Apr 2019

bigguy1 wrote:
17 Apr 2019
One thing I noticed is that I can Drag 'n' Drop Midi from Kontakt now which I think wasn't possible before. Finally I can Drag the Midis from the NI Drummer Series :-)

Nice :D
That was always possible. It’s only midi fx which are not supported.

miscend

17 Apr 2019

mcatalao wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Confirmed (you need to have a single device, or feed EVERYTHING in your mix to left or right to test it). And in windows happens too, and to the right it mutes.

Yet it doesn't render reason useless, because i'd say one rarely have a mix with multiple instruments turned to hard left or hard right (even if you mixed in a LCR way, you'd still mix some stuff center and had stuff feeding right or left).

The behaviour is also broken if you add a send with a stereo algorithm (feeding audio from the left to the right channel and vice versa).

Anyway.... more stuff to be fixed. Good Catch!
I can’t recreate this behaviour in Win 10.

ScuzzyEye

17 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
17 Apr 2019
FWIW, it's not Reason-specific: all other DAWs behave the same when dealing with VSTs. It's always a trade-off between automation/CV resolution and DSP usage.
VST3 does support multiple, sample-accurate automation events per buffered batch. So you can have larger buffers, and high-resolution automation. But it's up to the host to generate those events, and the plug-in to accept them.

Enterface

17 Apr 2019

Noticing that I can now utilize stacks of UAD plugs with no problem. :thumbs_up:

However, confirming the panning issue when using VST (stereo effect) on the master bus insert but only happens when panned hard left (100% plays back in mono) and hard right (100% crackles and pops and intermittently drops out) :puf_unhappy:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
17 Apr 2019
WongoTheSane wrote:
17 Apr 2019
FWIW, it's not Reason-specific: all other DAWs behave the same when dealing with VSTs. It's always a trade-off between automation/CV resolution and DSP usage.
VST3 does support multiple, sample-accurate automation events per buffered batch. So you can have larger buffers, and high-resolution automation. But it's up to the host to generate those events, and the plug-in to accept them.
I'm a bit on the fence (as far as automation goes), if this will be a problem for my workflow and if it is an issue even at 44100. I mean, at 1024 samples buffer size we're talking about an automation detail at 1/44 of a second.

I get that cv routings at/from stuff like lfo's and stuff like that can generate quirks, but to be honest I've never expected reason to integrate CV functionality and back cabling on Vsts and they did.

Anyway, if Vst3 allows high resolution automation I believe they will intruduce it when Vst3 is supported. But IMHO, everything comes at a cost so... Let's see.

Data_Shrine

17 Apr 2019

Luxuria wrote:
17 Apr 2019
There is always a catch when it comes to Reason's new features.

Improved performance but be careful not to get technical with the CV routing.

Back when they added PDC. It works but only under certain conditions that don't break traditional routing so don't be splitting channels and routing them to a 6:2 mixer.

It seems that the rack paradigm is always changing when traditional DAW features are added in.
Yes that is why I am worried about the GUI update for HD/Retina displays (if they ever do it). Will only half the software be displayed in high-res ? Just kidding.. right ?

I notice the CV weirdness even at 128 samples.. Hmm not sure how I am going to handle this just yet. :?

ruso2018

18 Apr 2019

I use plenty of gate/cv (but typically not feedback loops) and haven't noticed anything weird yet. Not even at 2048 buffer size.

I do notice great improvements in CPU efficiency. Many projects that caused Reason to show the "computer too slow…" message now play with 2 bars of CPU. :o

Ahornberg

18 Apr 2019

ruso2018 wrote:
18 Apr 2019
I use plenty of gate/cv (but typically not feedback loops) and haven't noticed anything weird yet. Not even at 2048 buffer size.

I do notice great improvements in CPU efficiency. Many projects that caused Reason to show the "computer too slow…" message now play with 2 bars of CPU. :o
Yes, it's a pleasure! I can run 2 Melda MXXX VSTs and Adaptiverb VST at the same time (before I could only run one of these at a time).

Loque

18 Apr 2019

MrBlue wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Loque
Yesterday

MrBlue wrote: ↑Yesterday
A hair disappointed by version 10.3, my Buchla Easel from Arturia still cracks on some presets and especially when there are several voices ...
:|
Which settings? CPU, buffer, sample rate, OS?

Core I7-3630QM 2.40Ghz 32 Go RAM
Sample rate : 48000
Buffer : 224
Windows 10
Your settings should be ok for the Buchla. Do you have Power-Saving enabled in Windows?
Reason12, Win10

MrBlue

18 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
... Do you have Power-Saving enabled in Windows?
I do not know, it's a laptop ... and I'll be able to watch tonight when I get home from work

Loque

18 Apr 2019

MrBlue wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
... Do you have Power-Saving enabled in Windows?
I do not know, it's a laptop ... and I'll be able to watch tonight when I get home from work
Well, it is just something we should check, because this was in the past one of the most troubling things. I personally recognized since the update to 10.3, that everything works WAAAAYYYYYY smooooother than before with power settings enabled.

Check here to get your settings: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/3- ... ws-10.html
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019
MrBlue wrote:
18 Apr 2019

Well, it is just something we should check, because this was in the past one of the most troubling things. I personally recognized since the update to 10.3, that everything works WAAAAYYYYYY smooooother than before with power settings enabled.

Check here to get your settings: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/3- ... ws-10.html
Loque. Are you saying we should now enable Power Saving? I’ve always had it disabled for better performance.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

Sorry for interrupting. For testing, could you guys please put the (FSB- ) "Synchrogator" combi as an insert / in series on some audio ? I believe this patch is a CPU killer, either because of 10.3 or because it's always been.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Loque

18 Apr 2019

MrFigg wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Loque wrote:
18 Apr 2019

Loque. Are you saying we should now enable Power Saving? I’ve always had it disabled for better performance.
I just say, before 10.3 everything imediatly starts crackling and now it works very smooth. OFx there is some point where i need to turn it off again. Now i can runa Europa and play it without any problems, add some fxx and everything is still smooth. If i enter the "song-mode" it starts crackling and i turn power saving off. All in all its much smoother, faster and better on my side. Cudos!
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

18 Apr 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Sorry for interrupting. For testing, could you guys please put the (FSB- ) "Synchrogator" combi as an insert / in series on some audio ? I believe this patch is a CPU killer, either because of 10.3 or because it's always been.
At 512, 18 of them (in series) brings the DSP up to 4 bars. Just one isn't noticeable. This is in the context of a song with a dozen tracks playing at the same time.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
18 Apr 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Apr 2019
At 512, 18 of them (in series) brings the DSP up to 4 bars. Just one isn't noticeable. This is in the context of a song with a dozen tracks playing at the same time.
Thank you Wongo for your help. Hmm, odd. I'll have to investigate further and see what the issue is. It all went to shit when I put this in my chain.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2019

There is a middle-ground between 64 frame buffers and larger buffer sizes.

For example, how about allowing a combinator switch for single batches within the combinator. That would give users the freedom to create contained funky CV routings within a combinator while processing other devices in successive batches.

Another middle ground (though much more advanced), is allowing for automatic batch minimisation, whereby devices in loops (and only in the loops) can run in single 64 frame batches at a time. This allows you to do some funky CV, but only incur the cost for short batches in that particular case.

This also can be limited to combinators with a switch (low-latency, buffer-size, auto).

anDre

18 Apr 2019

anDre wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Hello to everyone, i updated to 10.3 and i have problems with Grain, it crackles badly since 10.3. Do you guys have the same problems or is something wrong on my system.

Can you guys please test something for me? Open an empty song, load Grain in the rack, load a poly/pad patch for eg "Dysney Strings" and play some chords. It crackles so badly here, its unusable, while the DSP bar shows max 1 tick. No matter if i switch any of the performance option on or off, it gets no better, even changing buffersizes makes no big difference.

I have no clue, on 10.2 i never had such problems with Grain, maybe this is a bug?
No one?

Loque

18 Apr 2019

anDre wrote:
18 Apr 2019
anDre wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Hello to everyone, i updated to 10.3 and i have problems with Grain, it crackles badly since 10.3. Do you guys have the same problems or is something wrong on my system.

Can you guys please test something for me? Open an empty song, load Grain in the rack, load a poly/pad patch for eg "Dysney Strings" and play some chords. It crackles so badly here, its unusable, while the DSP bar shows max 1 tick. No matter if i switch any of the performance option on or off, it gets no better, even changing buffersizes makes no big difference.

I have no clue, on 10.2 i never had such problems with Grain, maybe this is a bug?
No one?
I just tried while a game was still running in the background and consumes a complete core, played a bunch of chords, power saving is turned on and man....it played so smooth and barly touches a DSP bar....I have 64 samples, 44khz, multi core and HT on.

So, no, it plays fine on my side.

Check, if your ASIO driver is used.
Reason12, Win10

manuel radioact77

18 Apr 2019

For what it's worth:

Reason user since version 4 (actually since before that, since Rebirth)

I upgraded from Reason 9.5.4d5 to 10.3.

So, just in terms of performace and how Reason 10.3 runs a 9.5.4d5 project I just opened my last project wich was fairly heavy with

2 instances of Arturia's Synclavier, 1 Arturia Mini V3, 2 instances of Addictive drums, 2 Legends, 1 Korg Mono/Poly, 5 audio tracks with lots of processing, Waves' NLS Channel and SSL Comp on the master bus, plus a lot of bus/group processing with Soundtoys, more Waves, Valhalla, Arturia compressors, u-He Colour Copy delay, etc.

Note: My send effects (reverbs, delays, chorus) are going through mix channels.

So: in a very unscientific experience only based in very basic comparison i'd say in this project i experienced about 30% of performance improvement. Reason 10.3 is handling this project very smoothly and easily.

Nothing weird or wrong in terms of how the project runs or sounds with Reason 10.3, not even with the send effects through the mix channels. Everything is good. Plus, as said before, a fairly good performance boost, as expected.

Very satisfied costumer here. :)

Intel 7 6700HQ
16 GB RAM,
512 GB SSD HD and 3.5 Terabyte external Hard drive HDD 7200 rpm
Line 6 KB 37 A/D, 44100Hz; 24 bit, buffer size at 1024.

Peace :)
Last edited by manuel radioact77 on 18 Apr 2019, edited 2 times in total.

DinoJ

18 Apr 2019

anDre wrote:
18 Apr 2019
anDre wrote:
17 Apr 2019

No one?
Sorry, same as Loque, I could also not replicate this issue either. I tried with both new Render audio option On and Off and HT On and off also.

Goriila Texas

18 Apr 2019

Superior Drummer 3 max out the DSP bar alone windows 8 8g ram 8 core runs fine in Studio One. I have send statistics enabled is that enough?

Goriila Texas

18 Apr 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
18 Apr 2019
Superior Drummer 3 max out the DSP bar alone windows 8 8g ram 8 core runs fine in Studio One. I have send statistics enabled is that enough?
No issue now maybe the sample cashe was still loading.

• Information