10.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
reddust

17 Apr 2019

danc wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Yes. Windows 10. Seems like about half of my unfiltered audio collection fails. Haven't had time to try all my vsts. But plan to and then send list to the props. My main concern is that I am stuck with old projects refusing to load properly. Might be fine for hobbyists... But for professional projects it isn't acceptable to suddenly have incompatible vsts... As the props didn't make this clear in the update notes.
I was able to use UA Byome on windows 10 in the reason 10.3 beta without a problem, haven't tested it on the official update yet but I'll do as soon as I can and tell if I have that issue too

danc

17 Apr 2019

reddust wrote:
17 Apr 2019
danc wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Yes. Windows 10. Seems like about half of my unfiltered audio collection fails. Haven't had time to try all my vsts. But plan to and then send list to the props. My main concern is that I am stuck with old projects refusing to load properly. Might be fine for hobbyists... But for professional projects it isn't acceptable to suddenly have incompatible vsts... As the props didn't make this clear in the update notes.
I was able to use UA Byome on windows 10 in the reason 10.3 beta without a problem, haven't tested it on the official update yet but I'll do as soon as I can and tell if I have that issue too
BYOME works fine for me in Windows. Just the other UA vsts I mentioned.
Check my Soundcloud:

reddust

17 Apr 2019

danc wrote:
17 Apr 2019
BYOME works fine for me in Windows. Just the other UA vsts I mentioned.
Ok, I only own Byome so I guess that's why I haven't had any issue on 10.3 so far, but good to know that one is at least working fine with the new update

Krell

17 Apr 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
So now I can safely go back to Reason ... bye bye Live, Bitwig and all the other DAWs :puf_bigsmile:
Er... no...
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

JdA57

17 Apr 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Mmj85 wrote:
16 Apr 2019
This is my results :
If you go -100 to the LEFT if goes into mono, all the way to the RIGHT it goes silent)

Looks like this only happens with VST's, If you replace the VST with a Rack Extension everything is back to normal

Can anyone confirm this please.
Confirmed. With any stereo VST in the Master Section, and Dr Octorex slogging away in stereo in its own mix channel, panning to -100 on the octorex mix channel, it's straight up mono, but at -99, it's panned hard left as expected. In both cases, only the left VU is visible.

When panned to 99, it's heard as hard right, but panned to 100, all is quiet. In both cases, only the right VU is visible, and still bouncing away even in the silence.

All of the above is the same even if the VST is bypassed.

Using Windows 7, for as long as I can...

UPDATE: Reported to Props via Support page.

it's confirmed, in different variations too, since 9.5 (VST came in) and Props knowing about this. Was discussed while different BETA-Test's ...

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

Confirmed (you need to have a single device, or feed EVERYTHING in your mix to left or right to test it). And in windows happens too, and to the right it mutes.

Yet it doesn't render reason useless, because i'd say one rarely have a mix with multiple instruments turned to hard left or hard right (even if you mixed in a LCR way, you'd still mix some stuff center and had stuff feeding right or left).

The behaviour is also broken if you add a send with a stereo algorithm (feeding audio from the left to the right channel and vice versa).

Anyway.... more stuff to be fixed. Good Catch!

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

mcatalao wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Confirmed (you need to have a single device, or feed EVERYTHING in your mix to left or right to test it). And in windows happens too, and to the right it mutes.

Yet it doesn't render reason useless, because i'd say one rarely have a mix with multiple instruments turned to hard left or hard right (even if you mixed in a LCR way, you'd still mix some stuff center and had stuff feeding right or left).

The behaviour is also broken if you add a send with a stereo algorithm (feeding audio from the left to the right channel and vice versa).

Anyway.... more stuff to be fixed. Good Catch!
hmmm ... I love LCR mixing

artotaku

17 Apr 2019

So with the Performance update you cannot have both: Fancy CV feedback routing and a lot of CPU heavy instruments.
At the end it´s a compromise - and I suppose most Reason users may not even touch the nerdy CV stuff.

That said, it ´s a great update and they did a hell of a job.

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

artotaku wrote:
17 Apr 2019
So with the Performance update you cannot have both: Fancy CV feedback routing and a lot of CPU heavy instruments.
At the end it´s a compromise - and I suppose most Reason users may not even touch the nerdy CV stuff.

And you can always go back by setting the buffer size of your audio interface to 64 samples.

artotaku

17 Apr 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
artotaku wrote:
17 Apr 2019

And you can always go back by setting the buffer size of your audio interface to 64 samples.
Yes, but I always had to work with a buffer size of 1024 samples otherwise I did not get far performance wise.

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

artotaku wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Yes, but I always had to work with a buffer size of 1024 samples otherwise I did not get far performance wise.
There's another option

The Reason manual says:

Render audio using audio card buffer size setting

The “Render audio using audio card buffer size setting” function should be selected (checked) for best plugin performance. When selected, the audio batches are rendered internally according to the set Buffer size (see “Buffer size” above). For example, if you have a Buffer size of 512 Samples, each audio batch will be 512 samples internally. Raising the Buffer size will let Reason process larger audio batches in one go, which is often more efficient. Many plugins are also more efficient when doing larger audio batches. if you are using DSP-heavy VSTs (mastering effects, for example), these will run a lot smoother with this function selected.

*Note that old songs might sound different with this function selected, if the songs uses feedback routings and CV connections.

If unchecked (off), all audio batches are rendered internally at a fixed size of 64 samples - regardless of the Buffer size setting. This might be desirable if you are using feedback signal routings and CV connections in your songs, and want the internal latency of those connections to be fixed at a short value all the time. This might result in performance problems for DSP-heavy VSTs, though.
Unchecked will give the same performance as in previous Reason 10 versions.
preferences.png
preferences.png (242.08 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

Noplan
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

Never happened before.
performance.jpg
performance.jpg (105.46 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

antic604

17 Apr 2019

artotaku wrote:
17 Apr 2019
You can, just make sure it still sounds good with added delay.

It's only jarring in old projects that you open in 10.3 (and buffer sigificantly >64 samples), but with new ones it's just a new reality to work in :)

artotaku

17 Apr 2019

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019
artotaku wrote:
17 Apr 2019

There's another option

The Reason manual says:

The “Render audio using audio card buffer size setting” function should be selected (checked) for best plugin performance. When selected, the audio batches are rendered internally according to the set Buffer size (see “Buffer size” above). For example, if you have a Buffer size of 512 Samples, each audio batch will be 512 samples internally. Raising the Buffer size will let Reason process larger audio batches in one go, which is often more efficient. Many plugins are also more efficient when doing larger audio batches. if you are using DSP-heavy VSTs (mastering effects, for example), these will run a lot smoother with this function selected.

*Note that old songs might sound different with this function selected, if the songs uses feedback routings and CV connections.

If unchecked (off), all audio batches are rendered internally at a fixed size of 64 samples - regardless of the Buffer size setting. This might be desirable if you are using feedback signal routings and CV connections in your songs, and want the internal latency of those connections to be fixed at a short value all the time. This might result in performance problems for DSP-heavy VSTs, though.

preferences.png
Yes, I´m aware that you have two possibilies to go back to the "old" behaviour, either by reducing buffer size to 64 samples or switch off the setting in the prefs. But still, you cannot have both: performance gain and CV gate/cv with feedback loops so you have to be a bit careful what and how you are doing stuff in a song. I have one song that plays correctly only when the setting is switched off because I heavily use CV note/gate for triggering instruments (with feedback loops). In that case I would not benefit from the performance update.

Loque

17 Apr 2019

Noplan wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Never happened before.
performance.jpg
Report it and send in your log files if available. They are somewhere in your users document folder AFAIR.
Reason12, Win10

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

artotaku wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Ahornberg wrote:
17 Apr 2019

There's another option

The Reason manual says:

preferences.png
Yes, I´m aware that you have two possibilies to go back to the "old" behaviour, either by reducing buffer size to 64 samples or switch off the setting in the prefs. But still, you cannot have both: performance gain and CV gate/cv with feedback loops so you have to be a bit careful what and how you are doing stuff in a song. I have one song that plays correctly only when the setting is switched off because I heavily use CV note/gate for triggering instruments (with feedback loops). In that case I would not benefit from the performance update.
Law of physics are merciless.

Luxuria

17 Apr 2019

There is always a catch when it comes to Reason's new features.

Improved performance but be careful not to get technical with the CV routing.

Back when they added PDC. It works but only under certain conditions that don't break traditional routing so don't be splitting channels and routing them to a 6:2 mixer.

It seems that the rack paradigm is always changing when traditional DAW features are added in.

Mmj85

17 Apr 2019

Loque wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Mmj85 wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Hi everyone, so i noticed something strange with the Panning in the mixer channels while having a VST in the (Master Section/Mixer Insert).
Can someone recreate this if possible... and yes i know this is not the beta testing section but i was not able to test this version.

-Open a new Session
-Clear your Master Section if you have anything there
-Select a Device with instant sound coming out of it when you hit play (DR.OCTO REX)
-Now PAN left and right on its mixer channel, cool no issue
-Now add any Stereo VST in the Master section and try panning..

This is my results :
If you go -100 to the LEFT if goes into mono, all the way to the RIGHT it goes silent)

Looks like this only happens with VST's, If you replace the VST with a Rack Extension everything is back to normal

Can anyone confirm this please.
thanks

My Computer Details:
MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.4
Processor 2.5 GHz
Intel Core i5
Memory 12GB
Did you connect everything in mono or is there something from mono to stereo?
I usually work with a mono maker for low frequencies (EQ cutting only the SIDE signal) in the master right off the bat to give me a much natural LCR mixing to start off with witch is how I ended up finding the issue. At first I thought it was something on my end but later found out it was only with VST Devices that this was occurring.

WongoTheSane

17 Apr 2019

artotaku wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Yes, I´m aware that you have two possibilies to go back to the "old" behaviour, either by reducing buffer size to 64 samples or switch off the setting in the prefs. But still, you cannot have both: performance gain and CV gate/cv with feedback loops so you have to be a bit careful what and how you are doing stuff in a song.
FWIW, it's not Reason-specific: all other DAWs behave the same when dealing with VSTs. It's always a trade-off between automation/CV resolution and DSP usage.

botnotbot

17 Apr 2019

EDIT: Thought I was experiencing an issue with latency in 10.3 but it was just me forgetting about some latency-heavy cleanup VSTs that we triggering delay compensation. Original post deleted to avoid confusion.
Last edited by botnotbot on 17 Apr 2019, edited 2 times in total.

ZiuMelle

17 Apr 2019

Ah cool.
Reaper, FL Studio & Reason.

esselfortium

17 Apr 2019

If you're getting delayed monitoring, you might have some delay compensation activated that's causing it?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

botnotbot

17 Apr 2019

esselfortium wrote:
17 Apr 2019
If you're getting delayed monitoring, you might have some delay compensation activated that's causing it?
:shock: :oops: :oops:

Of course, that does explain it! I forgot that I added these Izotope plug-ins to clean up one of the previous recording sessions in this file.

It's back to right on time in 10.3. Sorry for the confusion :oops:

bigguy1

17 Apr 2019

One thing I noticed is that I can Drag 'n' Drop Midi from Kontakt now which I think wasn't possible before. Finally I can Drag the Midis from the NI Drummer Series :-)

Nice :D

ZiuMelle

17 Apr 2019

Ooooooo does that new option affect PDC?
Reaper, FL Studio & Reason.

• Information