10.3 is out!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
michael.jaye

16 Apr 2019

The FIND function in the MANAGER page throws up an "Unknown Exception" window in Rob Papen's BLUE II & BLADE. It doesn't cause the VST or Reason to crash, however at least once the sound in all of reason was distorted until changing projects.

Support Request made to Propellerhead & Rob Papen notified. Part of Rob's response:

"BLUE-II and Blade use the older VST bank system. One bank can hold up to 128 presets. Most VST brands moved away from this system and we also in our newer versions........ We check if Propellhead should fix this, or if we should do something in BLUE-II and Blade"

rgdaniel

16 Apr 2019

Mmj85 wrote:
16 Apr 2019
This is my results :
If you go -100 to the LEFT if goes into mono, all the way to the RIGHT it goes silent)

Looks like this only happens with VST's, If you replace the VST with a Rack Extension everything is back to normal

Can anyone confirm this please.
Confirmed. With any stereo VST in the Master Section, and Dr Octorex slogging away in stereo in its own mix channel, panning to -100 on the octorex mix channel, it's straight up mono, but at -99, it's panned hard left as expected. In both cases, only the left VU is visible.

When panned to 99, it's heard as hard right, but panned to 100, all is quiet. In both cases, only the right VU is visible, and still bouncing away even in the silence.

All of the above is the same even if the VST is bypassed.

Using Windows 7, for as long as I can...

UPDATE: Reported to Props via Support page.

Faastwalker

16 Apr 2019

I read previously that this mainly addressed the issue of VST's running in Reason. Is this correct? I'm not a big VST user so first thing I tried was to load up a Dr.Octarex & run it through Animus on a preset that previously brought my machine to its knees! It still hammered the CPU so I don't think it's going to be something I can use without a major system upgrade. Previously I'm pretty sure I got the 'computer too slow' with this. I didn't get that but it was close.

Windows 10, 2.8Ghz Intel i5, 8GB RAM, SSD. Looking to upgrade to a current gen i5 (at least 3Ghz), 16GB RAM & a new motherboard. That should help. Otherwise Freeze tracks for Reason 11?! :?

zero01101

16 Apr 2019

so i basically only wanted this for better performance with VCV bridge myself, and on my asus g750js-ds71 running win10x64 it is DELICIOUS, but really weirdly, on my mid-2015 macbook pro 15" it is essentially unusable at any buffer size - DSP meter immediately pegs, instant popping and crackling as soon as i plug a simple VCO-1 into audio outputs... activity monitor shows reason practically hoarding all of the CPU resources and i'm wondering if it's something with VCV bridge or reason, but don't have any other DAW to test with :/

well whatever, my macbook's my "work" laptop anyway and my windows laptop is my "do things i actually like doing" machine so i guess i'm really no worse off :D

miscend

16 Apr 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
16 Apr 2019
miscend wrote:
16 Apr 2019
I didn't see any difference apart from some songs sounding slightly different with the new engine. Performance seems about the same.
Other than timing differences from automation or CV, there should be no differences in sound. If you're hearing something please post how to replicate it, so it can be reported as a bug.
I need to do more testing then a null test. The VST I’m using has built in time based effects, I’m guessing the way they were implemented makes them affected somewhat by buffer sizes.

miscend

16 Apr 2019

mcatalao wrote:
16 Apr 2019
miscend wrote:
16 Apr 2019
I didn't see any difference apart from some songs sounding slightly different with the new engine. Performance seems about the same.
If your projects are mainly audio and sampled instruments is normal to have a slighter difference.
Yeah, the difference is slight. The good thing is they kept the option to switch back to the old settings.

miscend

16 Apr 2019

danc wrote:
16 Apr 2019
As I found out earlier that ADPTR AUDIO MetricAB had stopped working in 10.3... I thought I'd try and open up other VSTs I own.

Most of my Unfiltered Audio VSTs... like SpecOps, Instant Delay and Sandman Pro do NOT open in 10.3 and they were definitely working in 10.2. Now I'm going to have a whole load of previous projects which use these VSTs that won't work. Ggggrrr.

Now for me to explore even further to find other VSTs that now don't work.
Unfiltered Audio Fault appears to be working fine for me.

Mmj85

16 Apr 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Mmj85 wrote:
16 Apr 2019
This is my results :
If you go -100 to the LEFT if goes into mono, all the way to the RIGHT it goes silent)

Looks like this only happens with VST's, If you replace the VST with a Rack Extension everything is back to normal

Confirmed. With any stereo VST in the Master Section, and Dr Octorex slogging away in stereo in its own mix channel, panning to -100 on the octorex mix channel, it's straight up mono, but at -99, it's panned hard left as expected. In both cases, only the left VU is visible.

When panned to 99, it's heard as hard right, but panned to 100, all is quiet. In both cases, only the right VU is visible, and still bouncing away even in the silence.

All of the above is the same even if the VST is bypassed.

Using Windows 7, for as long as I can...

UPDATE: Reported to Props via Support page.
Yes yes, the same is happening on my end.
Thank you for Reporting it to Props through support.

Just a weird bug, but other then that I am truly thankful for the performance update.
I feel like I just bought a brand new comp when I run Reason now :)

jjpscott01

16 Apr 2019

My performance on windows 10 is night and day when opening projects that used taxing VST's like Ozone and Lurssen mastering console. These would kill my cpu before and now they aren't even raising the DSP bar. I'm really really happy with this update so far. Well done Props!
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 4 | SAMPLITUDE PRO X5 | BALANCE | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

zoidkirb

16 Apr 2019

miscend wrote:
16 Apr 2019

Unfiltered Audio Fault appears to be working fine for me.
Byome is fine here. SpecOps won't load.

miscend

16 Apr 2019

Mmj85 wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Hi everyone, so i noticed something strange with the Panning in the mixer channels while having a VST in the (Master Section/Mixer Insert).
Can someone recreate this if possible... and yes i know this is not the beta testing section but i was not able to test this version.

-Open a new Session
-Clear your Master Section if you have anything there
-Select a Device with instant sound coming out of it when you hit play (DR.OCTO REX)
-Now PAN left and right on its mixer channel, cool no issue
-Now add any Stereo VST in the Master section and try panning..

This is my results :

thanks

My Computer Details:
MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.4
Processor 2.5 GHz
Intel Core i5
Memory 12GB
I cannot recreate this in Win 10. But I can confirm it happens in High Sierra on a MBP. Appears to be Mac only.

groggy1

17 Apr 2019

Things I love about Reason 10.3:
1) Diva finally works for me!
2) I can *layer* VST synths in Combinator. This is something I never even considered doing in the past, since just a few VSTs can bring reason to its knees. But now, I'm layering piano VSTs with another VST with a string sound loaded. This is crazy!
3) I love how they got rid of the "computer is too slow" dialog, even when you get a small pop/crackle. I'm not longer afraid of my song coming to a halt
4) Generally, they delivered what they promised!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

Yep I definitely notice an improvement in the optimization. And I only use Rack Extensions.
Great update Propellerhead. :D

Loque

17 Apr 2019

Mmj85 wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Hi everyone, so i noticed something strange with the Panning in the mixer channels while having a VST in the (Master Section/Mixer Insert).
Can someone recreate this if possible... and yes i know this is not the beta testing section but i was not able to test this version.

-Open a new Session
-Clear your Master Section if you have anything there
-Select a Device with instant sound coming out of it when you hit play (DR.OCTO REX)
-Now PAN left and right on its mixer channel, cool no issue
-Now add any Stereo VST in the Master section and try panning..

This is my results :

thanks

My Computer Details:
MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.4
Processor 2.5 GHz
Intel Core i5
Memory 12GB
Did you connect everything in mono or is there something from mono to stereo?
Reason12, Win10

NekujaK

17 Apr 2019

Can 10.2 and 10.3 be installed side-by-side on the same machine? I've got several client projects in work on 10.2 and there's no way I'll flip to 10.3 until I can be certain my critical go-to VSTs will load and perform correctly.

Reading reports of VSTs not loading or having functional problems in 10.3 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, sadly :cry:
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

danc

17 Apr 2019

NekujaK wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Can 10.2 and 10.3 be installed side-by-side on the same machine? I've got several client projects in work on 10.2 and there's no way I'll flip to 10.3 until I can be certain my critical go-to VSTs will load and perform correctly.

Reading reports of VSTs not loading or having functional problems in 10.3 doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, sadly :cry:
Discussed here. .seems possible...
viewtopic.php?t=7495173

The only problem I can see is that the vsts that don't work get put into CRASHED category in v10.3. so... If you run 10.3 as well as 10.2 (assuming that is possible?) Then the vst might become inaccessible in 10.2 as it's blacklisted by 10.3.
Check my Soundcloud:

NekujaK

17 Apr 2019

danc wrote:
17 Apr 2019
NekujaK wrote:
17 Apr 2019

Discussed here. .seems possible...
viewtopic.php?t=7495173

The only problem I can see is that the vsts that don't work get put into CRASHED category in v10.3. so... If you run 10.3 as well as 10.2 (assuming that is possible?) Then the vst might become inaccessible in 10.2 as it's blacklisted by 10.3.
Thanks. That thread discusses two different versions of Reason, as opposed to two different point versions, so I'm not sure the same principle applies. I already have 10.2 and 9.5 running on the same system without doing anything special (but of course, they don't share preferences), but I haven't heard of two point versions being able to run on the same system.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

aeox
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

okaino wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Im glad they worked it out. Should of came with an apology as well for having us thinking we were crazy cause its been unusable since 9.5.
I've been using it every day on 9.5 :D

Loque

17 Apr 2019

okaino wrote:
16 Apr 2019
Im glad they worked it out. Should of came with an apology as well for having us thinking we were crazy cause its been unusable since 9.5.
I want a lot of excuses from Microsoft, and a lot of other companies. They should come home to me, knock on my door, fall on their knees, begging for forgiveness and serving me a cake... ;)
Reason12, Win10

anDre

17 Apr 2019

Hello to everyone, i updated to 10.3 and i have problems with Grain, it crackles badly since 10.3. Do you guys have the same problems or is something wrong on my system.

Can you guys please test something for me? Open an empty song, load Grain in the rack, load a poly/pad patch for eg "Dysney Strings" and play some chords. It crackles so badly here, its unusable, while the DSP bar shows max 1 tick. No matter if i switch any of the performance option on or off, it gets no better, even changing buffersizes makes no big difference.

I have no clue, on 10.2 i never had such problems with Grain, maybe this is a bug?

Ahornberg

17 Apr 2019

Version 10.3 brings the most value since adding VSTs.

So now I can safely go back to Reason ... bye bye Live, Bitwig and all the other DAWs :puf_bigsmile:

Props, you did a great job :thumbs_up:

Arrant
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

Seeing huge performance increases over here, some plugins run at least 50% better now.

Massively pleased with the new version, great job Props :thumbs_up:

Hopefully those of you who very rather condemning of people complaining about performance in previous versions now understand why we had those complaints ;)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2019

Arrant wrote:
17 Apr 2019
Seeing huge performance increases over here, some plugins run at least 50% better now.

Massively pleased with the new version, great job Props :thumbs_up:

Hopefully those of you who very rather condemning of people complaining about performance in previous versions now understand why we had those complaints ;)
I've been in these discussions several times if I remember correctly my words were that reason 10 had the same performance as reason 8 and 6 comparing the same conditions in the projects and what was bringing the performance down was the new heavy devices.

At any time I have diminished peoples complains about performance.

Just to say that people that said reason 10.3 is as performant as 8 or 6 is wrong because it is 10 to 30% more performant than these older versions.

olive6741

17 Apr 2019

danc wrote:
16 Apr 2019
As I found out earlier that ADPTR AUDIO MetricAB had stopped working in 10.3... I thought I'd try and open up other VSTs I own.

Most of my Unfiltered Audio VSTs... like SpecOps, Instant Delay and Sandman Pro do NOT open in 10.3 and they were definitely working in 10.2. Now I'm going to have a whole load of previous projects which use these VSTs that won't work. Ggggrrr.

Are you on Windows? On my side I have no problem with SpecOps nor Sandman Pro, but I'm on Mac.

danc

17 Apr 2019

olive6741 wrote:
17 Apr 2019
danc wrote:
16 Apr 2019

Are you on Windows? On my side I have no problem with SpecOps nor Sandman Pro, but I'm on Mac.
Yes. Windows 10. Seems like about half of my unfiltered audio collection fails. Haven't had time to try all my vsts. But plan to and then send list to the props. My main concern is that I am stuck with old projects refusing to load properly. Might be fine for hobbyists... But for professional projects it isn't acceptable to suddenly have incompatible vsts... As the props didn't make this clear in the update notes.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information