What about MIDI based VSTs?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Zac

12 Apr 2019

Firstly, I'm really excited about 10.3 ... sounds like it's going to be great from what I've read.

But... there are some really cool midi based vsts that I'm itching to try. It would be good to hear from Propellerhead if they have any plans to get these working in Reason?

I work solely in Reason and would prefer not to use another DAW but really want to use some of these midi VSTs. So if props have no plans to implement them what would be the cheapest and easiest DAW to learn to use? ... being that I'd like to get the sounds generated and midi produced back into Reason?

provinceofnowhere

12 Apr 2019

Zac wrote:
12 Apr 2019
Firstly, I'm really excited about 10.3 ... sounds like it's going to be great from what I've read.

But... there are some really cool midi based vsts that I'm itching to try. It would be good to hear from Propellerhead if they have any plans to get these working in Reason?

I work solely in Reason and would prefer not to use another DAW but really want to use some of these midi VSTs. So if props have no plans to implement them what would be the cheapest and easiest DAW to learn to use? ... being that I'd like to get the sounds generated and midi produced back into Reason?
Yeah, this winds me up about Reason too. I'll hazard a guess that support for them will be a Reason 11 thing. At the moment I use Reaper for the midi based VSTs and export the midi file. It's technically paid for but you can use it for 'evaluative purposes' indefinitely.

Jackjackdaw

12 Apr 2019

Reaper is great, free to use as long as you want and the license is cheap. I think Cakewalk by bandlab is free but you have to sign up to their social network.

Reaper is great though, can probably do everything you need if you rtm and spend some time with it.

guitfnky

12 Apr 2019

I doubt Props will say yes or no on anything until they actually announce a new version, but I suspect this is something that’s fairly high on their list of priorities. as for another DAW to use in the interim, I don’t have much recent experience with anything other than Reason, but I know Reaper is well-supported, and affordable ($60 for personal use, I think?).
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Zac

12 Apr 2019

Ok, thanks guys. I'll have a look at Reaper. I know not expect a response from props but I really hope this is on their agenda.

DinoJ

12 Apr 2019

I recently stumbled across this video on YouTube (Someone may have linked this here before).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTbnmq3 ... adio=1&t=0

Potentially seems like a decent (though slightly expensive) way to workaround using some midi VST's within Reason, though maybe not to the extent many of us would like to use them, as I am not sure it helps with actually getting the Midi data generated by these VST's into Reason sequencer?

Have not bought this personally or looked into this any further (am broke till payday!). As anyone else had any experience with this or can shed more light on it?

two shoes

12 Apr 2019

this has been brought up many times in many threads - there is a huge segment of the music software market that Propellerhead is excluding from their base of potential customers until they support midi io for VSTS. many if not most younger users who are getting into music making these days are using the new generation of composition aids and drum programming VSTS that must have midi io to work (just try and find a millenial who can read music or knows anything but the most basic music theory). personally this feature is more important to me than all other possible fixes and upgrades combined - i'd gladly have traded the recent performance improvements for it. it's the sole reason i still have to use three daws instead of just Reason. a bunch of the people who dismissed Reason out of hand because it didn't support VSTS till recently still won't consider it an option till they fix this. Propellerhead has been trying to catch up to the rest of the daw market in other ways recently and midi io for VSTS is way way overdue. get with the times Propellerhead - lack of support for VST midi is an embarassment!

two shoes

12 Apr 2019

...and the bluecat patchwork is a messy kludge that only works for a tiny percentage of the many use cases for midi VSTs.

guitfnky

12 Apr 2019

two shoes wrote:
12 Apr 2019
midi io for VSTS is way way overdue. get with the times Propellerhead - lack of support for VST midi is an embarassment!
relax, man, we've literally had VSTs in reason for less than two years. :?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Zac

12 Apr 2019

guitfnky wrote:
12 Apr 2019
two shoes wrote:
12 Apr 2019
midi io for VSTS is way way overdue. get with the times Propellerhead - lack of support for VST midi is an embarassment!
relax, man, we've literally had VSTs in reason for less than two years. :?
I really don't want this thread to be a rail against propellerhead. I'm soooo looking forward to 10.3.

But i do hope it signifies a hands up from me and others that there are some truly inspirational vsts that can't be used in Reason right now. And I'm frustrated by that.

mjxl

12 Apr 2019

Someone asked in a different topic, I got a brainsmart moment and this works kinda.

viewtopic.php?p=440582#p440582

Not all stuff will work obviously :\ It needs to generate sound.

xbitz

13 Apr 2019

MUX ( http://www.mutools.com/mux-product.html ) is the most comfy host currently, MIDI streaming is possible using with ReaStream https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

between them
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

Zac

13 Apr 2019

Reaper :o :thumbs_up:

xbitz

13 Apr 2019

btw. the audio out of Cthulhu can be converted to cv note/gate pair with Neptune Audio to CV/Gate Combi http://www.peff.com/journal/2010/08/25/ ... ate-combi/ (try to sing/whistle into it :puf_bigsmile: )
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

two shoes

13 Apr 2019

xbitz wrote:
13 Apr 2019
btw. the audio out of Cthulhu can be converted to cv note/gate pair with Neptune Audio to CV/Gate Combi http://www.peff.com/journal/2010/08/25/ ... ate-combi/ (try to sing/whistle into it :puf_bigsmile: )
thanks for this - i hadn't noticed it and it works better than my attempts to do the same thing with the audio to cv RE. on an unrelated note did you see the 430 million year old sea creature fossil they just found that looks just like Cthulu?

rlared

14 Apr 2019

What MIDI vsts are you guys wanting to use?

mjxl

14 Apr 2019

For me definately the stuff from CodeFN42.

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... on&id=2948 and http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?pl ... RP&id=2037
just as 2 examples. though i don't need any MIDI plugs. player devices for the win.

Zac

14 Apr 2019

rlared wrote:
14 Apr 2019
What MIDI vsts are you guys wanting to use?
Cthulu
Melodic flow
Scaler
Midi madness
Orb composer
Rapid composer
Etc

reddust

16 Apr 2019

I'd like to be able to use Lié with my Touch SE directly in Reason, and Scaler too

chimp_spanner

16 Apr 2019

I'm trying to envisage how it'd be implemented though, given that you never have to manually patch MIDI in Reason. SEQ tracks are connected to their devices by invisible MIDI cables. So there are two approaches; we could either keep the hardware/cable paradigm in tact and give VST racks gate, note and programmable CC-to-CV outputs. Or the sequencer itself gets a huge revamp, where tracks have selectable MIDI destinations, channel numbers and so on. The former is probably the quicker solution. But having proper routable MIDI would also facilitate multi-timbral plugins like Kontakt, HalionSonic, etc. So maybe that's the better way to go?

Zac

16 Apr 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
16 Apr 2019
I'm trying to envisage how it'd be implemented though, given that you never have to manually patch MIDI in Reason. SEQ tracks are connected to their devices by invisible MIDI cables. So there are two approaches; we could either keep the hardware/cable paradigm in tact and give VST racks gate, note and programmable CC-to-CV outputs. Or the sequencer itself gets a huge revamp, where tracks have selectable MIDI destinations, channel numbers and so on. The former is probably the quicker solution. But having proper routable MIDI would also facilitate multi-timbral plugins like Kontakt, HalionSonic, etc. So maybe that's the better way to go?
Good to hear these thoughts. I don't understand the technicalities but it sounds like routable midi would give the best results to me. And reading people's feature requests it sounds like a revamp of the sequencer would be welcomed for other aspects too.

• Information