Type in chords into the clips in the sequencer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ravisoni

06 Apr 2019

Just curious, how hard would it be code so that you type in the chord name in the clip label in the sequencer and have reason interpret it as midi data and play the chord accordingly? Or not even type in but select from a drop down somewhere in the clip itself. Has this idea been floated before?
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Bes
Competition Winner

06 Apr 2019

i like this idea but i immediately want more from it. like as i scroll though the various options it also plays the chord so i can listen for the right harmony/dissonance and is also populates the notes visibly in the sequencer so i can look out for good chord progression shapes. also a 2nd menu to scroll through for the different voicing of chords.

at the moment i don't enjoy using the reason sequencer and opt to do most of my musical choices in the rack and i'm fine with that but this is an interesting idea that doesn't need to mess with the users who have spent years mastering their own workflow in the sequencer
- Certified Reason expert

boingy

07 Apr 2019

In general I'd like Reason to be more chord and key aware. I'd like to label chords in a track, generate and identify standard chords. I'd like chord aware transposition and a chord progression tool. Some of these things can be done with plug-ins and REs but the work flow is not smooth.

Creativemind

07 Apr 2019

Yeah good idea. I like the chord painting idea from FL Studio. Select a chord type from a drop down menu, say it was m7, click an A in the 3rd octave in the midi editor (piano roll in FL's case) and it just paints in an Am7 chord in the third octave. Voila!

And we could do with labels in the midi editor, note displays and to see which key you're pressing in on your midi controller in the midi editor.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ravisoni

08 Apr 2019

Bes wrote:
06 Apr 2019
i like this idea but i immediately want more from it. like as i scroll though the various options it also plays the chord so i can listen for the right harmony/dissonance and is also populates the notes visibly in the sequencer so i can look out for good chord progression shapes. also a 2nd menu to scroll through for the different voicing of chords.

at the moment i don't enjoy using the reason sequencer and opt to do most of my musical choices in the rack and i'm fine with that but this is an interesting idea that doesn't need to mess with the users who have spent years mastering their own workflow in the sequencer
Part of it is laziness and part of it is just not enough time to learn instruments, especially from a melodic standpoint, but I've found myself understanding chord names far better than either the actual keyboard or the piano roll. In my mind, it is much easier to say "Play C major, add 7th" than it is to go on the keyboard and actually find the notes for C major, or visually look for the keys on the roll.
I don't mind if this is an option that is as silent as the F8 toolbar (i.e. as you said non-intrusive).
boingy wrote:
07 Apr 2019

In general I'd like Reason to be more chord and key aware. I'd like to label chords in a track, generate and identify standard chords. I'd like chord aware transposition and a chord progression tool. Some of these things can be done with plug-ins and REs but the work flow is not smooth.
Absolutely, I've been moving away from the rack the past couple years.
Creativemind wrote:
07 Apr 2019
Yeah good idea. I like the chord painting idea from FL Studio. Select a chord type from a drop down menu, say it was m7, click an A in the 3rd octave in the midi editor (piano roll in FL's case) and it just paints in an Am7 chord in the third octave. Voila!

And we could do with labels in the midi editor, note displays and to see which key you're pressing in on your midi controller in the midi editor.
Believe it or not, it was watching someone do something in FL (not what you described) which triggered this thought. I've been so reason bound, it was fresh to see the capabilities in other software, especially from a sequencer standpoint. If there's one thing that's going to drastically change my efficiency, this would be it. Curious to see what 11 will bring.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

• Information