How to set very precise frequencies on any oscillator or LFO?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Josdams

04 Apr 2019

Hello reason users ! :)

i'm conducting a series of experiments at the university, using oscillators and very precise frequencies, but i noticed that you can't type in any wanted frequency on a normal LFO, instead i have to press and hold shift to get an approximation to the frequency that i need to experiment with, and that doesn't really work for the research.

Is there a way around to get exact frequencies in reason?

Thanks very much !

two shoes

04 Apr 2019

Josdams wrote:
04 Apr 2019
Hello reason users ! :)

i'm conducting a series of experiments at the university, using oscillators and very precise frequencies, but i noticed that you can't type in any wanted frequency on a normal LFO, instead i have to press and hold shift to get an approximation to the frequency that i need to experiment with, and that doesn't really work for the research.

Is there a way around to get exact frequencies in reason?

Thanks very much !
how precise are we talking? bass player precise? caesium 133 precise? lab bench equipment can do this but since you're posting this on a Reason forum I assume this is a music dept experiment not an EE experiment. and i suppose this isn't audio range we're talking about or you could just use a tuner - if you can fill us in a little on the experiment and it's possible to do it in Reason I'm sure someone around here knows how.

Josdams

04 Apr 2019

Yes, that's right. I thought it would be easier for me use reason to fill the basic part of my research, as for the advance part, i'll need the lab. The report i'm making is very simple and require readings of centihertz precision minimum, though i would love millihertz. The research basically consist in directing sound waves to a variety of creatures and studying their behavior.

Is it possible to set frequencies in reason at will with millihertz precision?

Loque

05 Apr 2019

No. Search a more scientific tool or write your own.
Reason12, Win10

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

05 Apr 2019

Or just type the precise figure into an automation lane?

Assuming of course the value you need falls into the parameters min/max range; all reasonably well thought-out LFOs go down to at least 0.001 Hz ;) So synth oscillators, no, I doubt you'd have that granularity even in typeable values; you'd need a dedicated oscillator LFO like an Ammo that covers LFO and audio rates (0.001 Hz to 30 Hz and 30 Hz to 8372 kHz via a low/high range switch).

And yes, you can type any value you want for these types of devices:

ammovalue.PNG
ammovalue.PNG (141.71 KiB) Viewed 524 times

two shoes

05 Apr 2019

see i told ya. when i wrote my post i was thinking, "i wouldn't be surprised if ammo1200 or kron toolbox can do this but i'll wait for someone who knows for sure to chime in." let us know how the experiment goes - what type of creatures are involved?

• Information