Are there any whispered secret plans to overhaul the sequencer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
primitiveworker

03 Apr 2019

I've been using Ableton Live as a sequencer for Reason for a while now and it's less than ideal.

I'm basically using Ableton as a glorified Alesis MMT-8 emitting MIDI, where Reason records all of the notes from Ableton and automation from my control surfaces to capture a "live mix performance". It "works" but just barely.

Sometimes an "undo" on the Reason side will affect not just the 1 thing I wanted to undo, but will reset the entire Reason session to a prior state. (Usually the automation-defaults state. This is usually only a problem in the sound-design phase of things where I'm actively working with the rack, but still, it tips my brain and interrupts flow. It probably wouldn't be a problem if I always had Reason in record mode. I'll give that a try. Note lanes are always associated with combinators, and I try to limit automation (outside of the main mixer) to the knobs and buttons exposed by the combinators as well. Anyway...)

Sometimes I'll get an unrecoverable MIDI overrun where Reason is convinced Ableton was flooding it with MIDI data and Reason stops emitting audio until I restart it. I'm not sure what causes this, might have something to do with the MIDI routing in the Mac, or maybe spotlight indexing turned on, I don't know.

But the whole thing always feels like it's ready to fall down.

I imagine if I were using a Reason-provided sequencer with similar "session view" functionality then it'd be a lot more stable and Reason would probably be able to plan ahead more and use DSP less urgently.

Am I just dreaming?

antic604

03 Apr 2019

I had a dream once, but it failed :(

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7506889

motuscott

03 Apr 2019

The President has denied your security clearance.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

primitiveworker

03 Apr 2019

antic604 wrote:
03 Apr 2019

Using a rack extension clip launcher + player (clip receiver) would be an interesting approach.

I imagine (hope) that "session view" / "clip launcher mode" comes up a lot internally at PHeads.

antic604

03 Apr 2019

primitiveworker wrote:
03 Apr 2019
antic604 wrote:
03 Apr 2019

Using a rack extension clip launcher + player (clip receiver) would be an interesting approach.

I imagine (hope) that "session view" / "clip launcher mode" comes up a lot internally at PHeads.
Definitely, but they've so much to catch up to other modern DAWs that I can't imagine this being a priority :( Maybe for v13 or v14...

Biolumin3sc3nt

03 Apr 2019

Hold the Phone Buddy, that was a lot to digest. I don't run Rewire in Ableton, but when I do, I go thru Logic. Which is very rare. This could be "User Error" , or Hardware error

primitiveworker

03 Apr 2019

Biolumin3sc3nt wrote:
03 Apr 2019
Hold the Phone Buddy, that was a lot to digest. I don't run Rewire in Ableton, but when I do, I go thru Logic. Which is very rare. This could be "User Error" , or Hardware error
My use case is definitely an edge case. Not using ReWire, but just raw MIDI. But all of these issues would go away if Reason provided a session view / clip launcher mode natively.

I forgot to mention there was that time when 10.x forgot all external devices on restart (since patched), so I'd have to re-add all of my MIDI Channel 1, MIDI Channel 2... phantom devices for the simultaneous MIDI note capture from Ableton on all channels. Every time I started a session. It was quite a thing. Glad they fixed that one.

zoidkirb

03 Apr 2019

I think most people will appreciate a sequencer overhaul. There's a lot of little functionalities that need improving. However, I think copying wholesale ableton lives main signature feature is something I just can't imagine happening (not gonna complain if it happens but)

aeox
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2019

I'm not at all interested in a "sequencer overhaul"

Though, adding a handful of very useful features is always welcome.

I personally LOVE the sequencer workflow as it is currently, and I think many others do as well. I'm just not sure that "overhaul" is the correct term here.

plaamook

04 Apr 2019

aeox wrote:
03 Apr 2019
I'm not at all interested in a "sequencer overhaul"

Though, adding a handful of very useful features is always welcome.

I personally LOVE the sequencer workflow as it is currently, and I think many others do as well. I'm just not sure that "overhaul" is the correct term here.
Who let this guy in here?... :lol:

Seriously though, it's not so much overhaul as much as I think extending it's current functions. Like zoom doesn't go in or out far enough. Cross fades, huge pain in the ass in Reason. MIDI editing still sucks. Markers? Split at playhead/markers/loop markers? ETC etc. So when you add em all up it starts to look more like an overhaul.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

xbitz

05 Apr 2019

dropped FL as VSTi into Reason and synced back Reason with MIDI clock from it, scratchpad is solved ...
:reason: :recycle: :re: :record: :refill: :rt:

• Information