Will Reason support linux in the future.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jlgrimes

21 Mar 2022

I kind of doubt it.

They have alot of priorities.

I'm guessing whenever all of the stuff that's already on their roadmap is done then maybe but my guess is several years at least unless something drastic happens in the PC MAC market which doesn't seem likely right now.

I think IOS support would be more likely.

Re8et
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2022

aeox wrote:
21 Mar 2022
After being unable to reinstall windows 10/11 on my laptop, I was basically forced to switch to Linux/Reaper. Switching back to windows isn't looking like an option any time soon, either is Reason support on Linux!

Still have not figured out a way to get reason rack running on linux.. though I didn't put much effort into it.
Wine and Carla is your best shot. Carla can run VST's on Reaper without Wine natively, so you should be able to run reason as Vst that way.
Should, also work on ARM architecture as far as I know. Check Github pages for development, Linux stores aren't of great utility.

KX comes with Carla preinstalled.
https://kx.studio/Applications

integerpoet

30 Mar 2022

When I developed pro audio software for both macOS and Windows (years ago), Windows took vastly more time and effort to support.

It had five different audio APIs (none of them provided by Microsoft), a terrible MIDI API, an endless array of hardware of quality which varied from half-decent to crap, and drivers? Oh. My. God.

I cannot imagine Linux is better in those respects, but I can imagine it's substantially worse.

Developers don't actually care about market share. They care about profit.

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2022

integerpoet wrote:
30 Mar 2022
I cannot imagine Linux is better in those respects, but I can imagine it's substantially worse.
Nah, you can get by with either ALSA or JACK (which runs on top of ALSA). Either is fine. Nothing else is required.

Reaper and Bitwig managed it (not to forget Ardour&Mixbuss). OpenGL support is pretty solid on Linux - I could run UnrealEngine on it with no trouble (and let's not forget Blender).

Linux support is just a mere executive choice at this point TBH. Given they can run it in the browser, it's safe to say they could have it running on Linux within the hour.

integerpoet

31 Mar 2022

avasopht wrote:
31 Mar 2022
integerpoet wrote:
30 Mar 2022
Nah, you can get by with either ALSA or JACK (which runs on top of ALSA). Either is fine. Nothing else is required. Reaper and Bitwig managed it (not to forget Ardour&Mixbuss). OpenGL support is pretty solid on Linux - I could run UnrealEngine on it with no trouble (and let's not forget Blender).
I'm not saying it's impossible; I'm merely questioning whether it would be profitable, which is a very different consideration. And in that vein let's do forget free apps because Reason isn't free. Profit requires revenue.
Linux support is just a mere executive choice at this point TBH. Given they can run it in the browser, it's safe to say they could have it running on Linux within the hour.
Leaving aside for the moment that on a technical level that just isn't true — to a degree which is, frankly, humorous — "executive choice" still boils down to whether building a Linux version of Reason seems to RS executives likely to produce profit. So yeah, it being an "executive choice" is trivially true.

avasopht
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2022

integerpoet wrote:
31 Mar 2022
I'm not saying it's impossible; I'm merely questioning whether it would be profitable, which is a very different consideration. And in that vein let's do forget free apps because Reason isn't free. Profit requires revenue.
Of course. I'm not suggesting they go and blow $1 million in development for something that doesn't make back the investment.
integerpoet wrote:
31 Mar 2022
Leaving aside for the moment that on a technical level that just isn't true — to a degree which is, frankly, humorous — "executive choice" still boils down to whether building a Linux version of Reason seems to RS executives likely to produce profit. So yeah, it being an "executive choice" is trivially true.
For the record, I've done ports across much more different platforms. And I've taken the time to make a Linux build of a DSP plugin (at least of the DSP part). I'm not a stranger to what's involved.

As for profit. It's not that simple. The "profit" conversation operates at a much higher level. They don't oversee EVERY feature. If it just so happens that our product can read, I dunno, ... YAML files or something. They don't care. They don't care if it just so happens that we can run the product on our Apple Watch. They care about the core features to target the market. If we happen to have developed any additional features that could reach a wider or more profitable market, then great, they will take that on board and may adjust projections or enquire about the possibilities (maybe a tweak here and there could change the entire conversation).

Management is much more concerned about whether the developers have wasted time on YAML support for product configuration (or something). So, VST support was mostly developed several years before an executive decision was made to release it. IIRC there were a few weeks of work involved in bringing the older VST code into R9.5. In essence, the lack of VST support all these years was what I would call a mere executive decision (as it was largely finished).

So, the developers and management might decide to knock up a VST or WebGL implementation, but upper management opts to not release.

Anyway, all I was saying was that from my perspective (and maybe things were different in your day) I don't consider Linux support to be such a gargantuan task to support (and neither does Cockos or Bitwig or Epic Games).

It looked like you were under the impression they'd have to support a bunch of sound APIs, when they only need to support one (Jack or Alsa).

My interest is just in the possibility of being able to leverage RTLinux so run Reason in a much more stable environment for even lower-latencies.

Aaaand if you apply that rule to all features, ... would probably mean lots of conveniences wouldn't have been approved (like automatically saving samples to the file, faster browser search, mp3 imports, combinator 2, GUI updates, improvements to APE, most small but valuable improvements to existing features and devices) because you wouldn't expect them to increase sales. This is not how software is developed in the real world. Not everything can be quantified in that way, and companies that operate like that do not last long.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2022

Re8et wrote:
30 Mar 2022
aeox wrote:
21 Mar 2022
After being unable to reinstall windows 10/11 on my laptop, I was basically forced to switch to Linux/Reaper. Switching back to windows isn't looking like an option any time soon, either is Reason support on Linux!

Still have not figured out a way to get reason rack running on linux.. though I didn't put much effort into it.
Wine and Carla is your best shot. Carla can run VST's on Reaper without Wine natively, so you should be able to run reason as Vst that way.
Should, also work on ARM architecture as far as I know. Check Github pages for development, Linux stores aren't of great utility.

KX comes with Carla preinstalled.
https://kx.studio/Applications
The problem I was having was with Carla, Reason Rack loads but crashes every time. I'm still determined to figure it out because I miss all those RE!

Billy+

09 Apr 2022

Carla sounds very interesting from what I've read so far but I think the whole premise of this topic should be renamed to will Linux support Reason in the future.

zebbleganubi

02 May 2022

Billy+ wrote:
09 Apr 2022
Carla sounds very interesting from what I've read so far but I think the whole premise of this topic should be renamed to will Linux support Reason in the future.
ive had better luck with yabridge than carla. if anyone is interested i wrote up the steps to get everything setup on linux a while back on this thread. ive been meaning to put all that into a bash script so it can be setup with a few clicks but i havnt got around to it

Re8et
Competition Winner

12 Mar 2024

Found this Linux Audio-video blog through Hackaday.
Lots of cool tips to read.

https://interfacinglinux.com

This yardbridge wine-alike guide looks particularluy interesting to share
https://interfacinglinux.com/2024/01/22 ... -yabridge/

How would Reason login and companion work with this?
Someone outta try...

• Information