Bought a midi controller, question about assining its buttons.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tiger jackson

24 Mar 2019

An Alesis VI49.
So I get how to map the controls overall, but I'm stuck on one thing. Say I have like 10 different instruments open. I already mapped a lot of knobs and buttons to one instrument. But can the same buttons and knobs be used simultaneously on another instrument without affecting the parameters of others?

tiger jackson

25 Mar 2019

Alright I'm on it. One thing is that the alesis VI49 isn't pre-supported so I had to map it as "other". I see the Other folder in the Remote folder and it has 5 different remotemap files
I'm guessing that since my controller has a bunch of knobs and buttons I'd want to use "MIDI Keyboard w Controls Multi" or the one below it?

tiger jackson

25 Mar 2019

So I found a custom alesis vi61 codec and it's compatible, and working how I'd want mostly out the box. https://getsatisfaction.com/alesis/topi ... eason-here
I think I could manage the rest here, following guides on how to add other devices.

tiger jackson

26 Mar 2019

Alright now I've been on a roll, have gotten many of my own rack extensions mapped. But I hit a roadblock, it seems there's no remote map controls for the Players devices? I use Scales and Chords a lot. But there doesn't seem to be a location on my PC for it, where all the other rack extensions are kept. So I have this in my .remotemap file:
Scope Propellerhead Software se.propellerheads.ScalesAndChords
// Control Surface Item Key Remotable Item Scale Mode
Followed by apparent mapped controls. But "se.propellerheads.ScalesAndChords" is not a folder in the usual location (and seemingly no where on my pc) along with any of the other player devices, so I'm unable to control them with the midi controller. Anyone have a clue?

electrofux

26 Mar 2019

You can get all the remote info for a device you need if you click on them an then export the remote info via the "export remote info" entry in the files menu.

tiger jackson

28 Mar 2019

Alright so now I'm past all this mapping, I have it running satisfactory.

Next issue is having the midi controllers work while in rewire with Reaper. I like working with Reason 10 in Reaper rewired but having the keyboard seamlessly work between both seems impossible, without manually enabling/disabling between both when needed.

I've tried having Reaper use the MIDIIN2 midi cable while Reason 10 is using usb midi but it seems to cause interferrence, like one control knob controlling 2 parameters. I also thought about having the keyboard entirely disabled in Reason 10 while having it active in Reaper but I can't get the keyboard to work, and it seems like it disables the remotemap as well which is no good. Would it be possible to do this vice versa? Keyboard enabled in Reason 10, disabled in Reaper but have Reason 10 able to control 1 vst I use in Reaper?

electrofux

28 Mar 2019

Not so easily doable. You might need a switch of some sort. Like changing the Midi Channel your keyboard sends and then configuring each program to react only on that midi channel. Dunno if this is easily doable with that keyboard.

• Information