Any remaining performance issues introduced by High Sierra?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jappe

24 Mar 2019

Hello all,

I'm about to update a MacBook Pro retina mid 2014 from Sierra to High Sierra, but reluctant to do so until I understand the status of the performance problems introduced in High Sierra.

There were this warning by the Props for High Sierra, that indicates both HT and non-HT-related performance issues.
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... ra-10-13-4

And then there were this resolution, which has "addressed" the issue; however doesn't mention any non-HT related performance issues solved:
https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... 3-released

That makes me wonder, are there any remaining non-HT performance issues that High Sierra introduced?

Need to install Xcode for Swift training which in my case requires High Sierra, but wouldn't like to ruin my MacBook studio...

bitley

24 Mar 2019

Works absolutely perfectly for me but I use several OSes - it's 64-bit so it won't run older (my) Logic Pro, so I have Sierra for that - but I use High Sierra as my go to setup. Black menus are classy. :)

jappe

24 Mar 2019

bitley wrote:
24 Mar 2019
Works absolutely perfectly for me but I use several OSes - it's 64-bit so it won't run older (my) Logic Pro, so I have Sierra for that - but I use High Sierra as my go to setup. Black menus are classy. :)
Ok thanks, good to know.
Maybe I'm just overinterpreting the actual wording of the announcements, but to me they indicate possible high sierra non-HT performance issues could remain. And if so I'd probably want to solve my Xcode problem some other way than upgrading to High Sierra.

I guess I could maybe downgrade if there are problems; but since High Sierra introduced a new filesystem, then perhaps it's not possible.

bitley

24 Mar 2019

Yes downgrading can be an issue. Partitioning your drive is my suggestion. SSD is a close contender for a must have on the boot drive. But that aside it runs well now and all problems should have been sorted by now.

QVprod

24 Mar 2019

No issues on Mojave, so it's probably fine.

jappe

27 Mar 2019

Thanks all, I upgraded and everything seems fine

brand

27 Mar 2019

This is at least encouraging. I have an iMac with Sierra and I’ve just been using that because of all these issues. Not upgrading has not hurt me yet but eventually I might have to upgrade. It used to pester me about high Sierra and now pesters me about mojave.

• Information