Puting text boxes on top of Sequencer window

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
changnoi

22 Mar 2019

Maybe this is one for Selig and his excellent Noteview or maybe there is another app. What I want to do is put note names against the horizontal bars shown in Sequencer window/Edit mode for a midi song (piano). I find it difficult to associate bar position with note (its not shown on the vertical keyboard when playing the song) so I have to rely on Noteview for interpretation
There is probably not an app that would automatically put the note names on the bars
My only other way is to print out a screen dump and write the names manually as taken of Noteview - its going to be tedious

Anyone any ideas or workaround :)

Robin

guitfnky

22 Mar 2019

selecting any note should show the note’s pitch in the toolbar at the top. not super handy, especially since it only works one note at a time, but maybe would be helpful for you?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

changnoi

22 Mar 2019

Yes thats a help, cos Noteview keys stop displaying the chord once you pause the play (one for Selig make the keyboard option to display last chord until next change otherwise I have to capture the chord in an eye blinks - bit tricky for weird 13ths)

Looks like I must use your method and notate a screen print

I wish there was some way to give different shades to octaves on the sequencer, trying to follow on a vertical keyboard screws my eyes up

I am using Musescore for notation work but its a devil with transposing, so much easier and controllable in
Reason but I still use it to notate my midi song when ready

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2019

changnoi wrote:
22 Mar 2019
I wish there was some way to give different shades to octaves on the sequencer, trying to follow on a vertical keyboard screws my eyes up
Agreed, and we have asked the PH team to improve this and many other sequencer features. They can do this by shading the octaves differently in the piano roll, or by having thicker lines between every C/B, or both.

I cross my fingers we get this stuff in 10.5. Would be nice if PH would let us know, it would take some of the frustration away. I think the try to improve their communication, but so far they have communicated by not saying much :roll: And claiming this is some stuff they need to keep secret from the competition, I do not think the competition would care. It like oh, PH is gonna catch up to us and make a sequencer/piano roll on par with the other DAWs... Nah, no big surprise, only surprise is if it does not happen.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

changnoi

23 Mar 2019

I put my screen dump of the piano roll onto photoshop (tip include the bar number strip in your screen capture)
I was able to manipulate the colouring to highlight C octave and black note bars. Makes it much more readable

I have used the Musescore note naming system - its brilliant. It automatically put the note name inside the note head on a score sheet and updates for any editing xposing etc

I cant recommend that app enough and its FREE. Takes a while to get over its quirks but its been strutting its stuff since 2007. Of course there is Finale and Sibelius for pros $$$

I dont know if you have an ear to the nerds in PH, but sometimes I think they stray too far away from the purpose of a DAW - Its for musicians to create. So much of their rack modules have been infected with knobs and sliders disease. Makes it a confusing kit to learn - they tell me it takes a year of several hours/day to get competent in Reason

I want to spend that year making music not dicking around with pretentious modules/toys for knobs with no talent. I feel strongly about the dearth of musical talent today

I was reviewing early Beatles work - from the cavern and after hamburg. Be honest they were a very average ready to fail rock band. If it hadnt been the foresight of Brian Epstein and EMIs Abbey road musical genius George Martin they would have been an also ran

Iwas asked about this by a neighbour who's son wanted to learn music production - there are no recognised paths into the industry - let alone a 3 year intensive degree in all the technology and music theory needed for true competence

• Information