How much room do I need for Reason and my REs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

22 Mar 2019

Really hoping to get Reason running on my old computer this weekend and it's really hard to free up room on the hard drive. Only managed just over 5Gb so far deleting unused programs and there isn't much more I can see.

I have easily over 100 REs, all kinds, probably need a lot more than 5Gb right? EDIT* I have a flash drive with my current project using a bunch of my REs, so using demo mode or something is not what I need right now.

Just wondering if I am wasting my time...

By the way the log in wherever you are and 'Sync all' process really is incredibly smooth.

antic604

22 Mar 2019

Jagwah wrote:
22 Mar 2019
Really hoping to get Reason running on my old computer this weekend and it's really hard to free up room on the hard drive. Only managed just over 5Gb so far deleting unused programs and there isn't much more I can see.

I have easily over 100 REs, all kinds, probably need a lot more than 5Gb right? EDIT* I have a flash drive with my current project using a bunch of my REs, so using demo mode or something is not what I need right now.

By the way the log in wherever you are and 'Sync all' process really is incredibly smooth.
Reason 10.2 in itself is a 3.6GB download and some of the REs can be 2-3GB each, so 5GB might be not enough even for a bare-bones install :(

Jagwah

22 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
Jagwah wrote:
22 Mar 2019

Reason 10.2 in itself is a 3.6GB download and some of the REs can be 2-3GB each, so 5GB might be not enough even for a bare-bones install :(
OK I'll give up on making it happen tonight, can arrange something else tomorrow, thanks man.

mashers

22 Mar 2019

You also need to consider how much space your Reason projects will take up, which will vary depending on how much audio you record. Some of mine are several hundred megabytes. Granted I'm a songwriter so by the time I've got a few parts of vocal harmonies there is a lot of audio recording.

Oquasec

22 Mar 2019

Reason needs like 20GB of HDD space minimum for Reason 8 & later.
Which should be enough since kontakt would need maybe multiple times that space.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

littlejam

25 Mar 2019

hello,

you might try downloading 2 programs:
spacesniffer and treesize
i'm on a pc win7

the programs scan your hard drive
and tell you where everything is

they have different visuals
so to have both is nice

i freed up a lot of space after tracking down what's what

if you have back up copies vss (volume shadow services (??)
that adds up to a lot
you can delete the old ones

also i run without a pagefile (several gigs saved)
i don't allow my computer to hibernate (more gigs saved)

hope some of this helps

kia kaha,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

Jagwah

25 Mar 2019

Thanks for your input everyone!!
littlejam wrote:
25 Mar 2019
hello,

you might try downloading 2 programs:
spacesniffer and treesize
i'm on a pc win7

the programs scan your hard drive
and tell you where everything is

they have different visuals
so to have both is nice

i freed up a lot of space after tracking down what's what

if you have back up copies vss (volume shadow services (??)
that adds up to a lot
you can delete the old ones

also i run without a pagefile (several gigs saved)
i don't allow my computer to hibernate (more gigs saved)

hope some of this helps

kia kaha,

j
Thanks I might try these after I get some fush and chups bro :p I'm in Perth and we have heaps of Maoris here, we even have a Maori restaurant (Cuzzies) around the corner :)

• Information