Thor 2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sleep1979

21 Mar 2019

Now im starting to get into synthesis, ive realised i really like the sound of thor and its a great synth ( i like the sound more than europa ) so will we see a thor 2 and a vst version ? i mean with a new facelift and features to add your own samples like europa ? It has a bad ass name as well so i think it could do really well as a vst

Chizmata

21 Mar 2019

tbh if you just got into synthesis, i think thor 1 still has options for years in pocket for you.

theshoemaker

21 Mar 2019

Yeah, it has. But the issue is: Using Thor is not enjoyable. The should update some workflow features. Matrix routing is painpull. With drag to target and drag to source (See Nostromo as reference inplementation) It's much more easy
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

Loque

21 Mar 2019

Still a very good synth. Deserves some more love from PH...
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

Yeah, a nice ZDF filter and complete FX section, drag-drop modulation, simple but very powerful updates. My guess is though, it would require a full rewrite in the latest SDK as I believe it was written in a "native" code. Is that DSP coder guy even around anymore?
Kong, same thing, update FX section, better Rex2 loop management features and editing. It is a shame you cannot move/add/delet a slice marker in a Rex loop, but you have to recreate it, it is a list of features that could use love in Kong too.

I doubt PH would see much immediate return on investment though if they did that, better to get the sequencer up on par, then develop new features and add ons. If the gap to the other DAW isn't closed, but instead widened, they may see a sharp turn in new user acquisition. The worst thing would be then if Reason becomes a target for being "lame" on social media, then no new kids would even want to try it for risking being the lame dude. Shit like that is real and I hope the PH leadership understands it, I can suddenly be very important.

With the explosion of Loopcloud and other free loop managing plugins, that side of things certainly can be very important to the future of any DAW as well. But every car needs 4 wheels, so still I think the sequencer should be the 10.5 priority.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Data_Shrine

21 Mar 2019

I don't know about all the other DAWS, but Ableton has been updating it's legacy devices quite a few times. We'll see, but I guess they prefer to make new devices they can sell, eh.

scratchnsnifff

21 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Still a very good synth. Deserves some more love from PH...
With all of the feature requests that I have posted and PM’d

This is the best way to put it
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

21 Mar 2019

I will always agree on Thor 2.0

Or every few updates they could add new wavetables, oscillators, filters, wavetables.
I
Thor being updated is something a lot of us have wanted for years. Idk why it’s never happened. But maybe one year they will finally decide to go back and reinvigorate Thor and the combinator (the two most popular requests that Iv seen over the past few years)

I think that adding sample loading with a user wavetable oscillator with a few types of phase distortion (bend + bend - And a symmetrical like Europa)
Maybe they would have to add a oscillator per phase distortion mode, but I wouldn’t mind that. Also adding new filters is something that is always on the table.

Also it would be awesome to slap the grain oscillator in Thor, people have requested the malström oscillator in Thor for a long long while. And the grain oscillator makes for malström grain table type sounds. (They nailed granular synthesis with grain btw)

Idk, over time Iv always heard the number one thing being against Thor 2 is the idea of backwards compatibility and as of lately I think it almost makes more sense to have a separate device for them to make Thor 2. BUT if they were to go this way, it would be seriously imperative to still have the same functions. All the matrix options, all the FM options, every detail. This way no one loses there old patches, this way we get Thor 2.

The best way to get this to propellerhead is to email or message them, I have been dying for more matrix slots in the conbinator and am even at a point where I would literally pay them to do so lol
Same with Thor 2. It would absolutely bring a buzz in the music community, Iv seen tons of posts about how people didn’t like this or that about reason, but had a craving for thor
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

MannequinRaces

21 Mar 2019

I’m all for new devices and leaving the classics alone.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

22 Mar 2019

Never liked working with Thor. I’d prefer if Propellerhead spend their time improving Reason or developing other things instead. Let’s leave the old synths alone.

mashers

22 Mar 2019

I absolutely love Thor. It has a lovely tone and can produce some really filthy sounds. It’s one of the best analogue emulations I have heard. Try pitch bending a low note down by an octave or more and hear the LFO freaking out just like an analogue would. Have a listen to my track Space Invaders on my YouTube channel for an example of this. I actually like the workflow of Thor. It doesn’t take much time to drop modules in and set up routing in the modulation matrix. I don’t really know how they could make it easier. More modules would be nice, sure, but I don’t know what they would offer that you couldn’t already do by just wiring Thor up to other devices. That’s the beauty of Reason - everything is already modular so no one device is ever limited by its own feature set.

dezma

22 Mar 2019

There was a time I used this for almost everything, just after it was introduced. Now however it should get a small update. I can live with the limited effects and the limited sequencer. In fact I only need a "spread" button. I hate how you have to duplicate the device and pan one device left, the other right just to get a nice spread to lead sounds. Once you have those duplicated you need to do adjustments to your patch twice. Synths that have spread out of the box such as antidote, spire, avenger and the likes (and more recent PH devices such as europe and sample manipulator) just are just easier in workflow so haven't been using thor for the last couple of years.

sleep1979

22 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
22 Mar 2019
I absolutely love Thor. It has a lovely tone and can produce some really filthy sounds. It’s one of the best analogue emulations I have heard.

This is what im saying ! Everyone goes for expensive vst analog emulations when thor has it already , its soo easy to get a good sound out of it even for a beginner synthesist like me ( always been a preset guy .

reddust

22 Mar 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
21 Mar 2019
I don't know about all the other DAWS, but Ableton has been updating it's legacy devices quite a few times. We'll see, but I guess they prefer to make new devices they can sell, eh.
I guess so too but, if PHs think about it, redesigning their devices visually to more up-to-date UI layouts and improving some of their functions could also be a good way to make money, it could attract new customers and keep old users from going to different DAWs.

mashers

22 Mar 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
This is what im saying ! Everyone goes for expensive vst analog emulations when thor has it already , its soo easy to get a good sound out of it even for a beginner synthesist like me ( always been a preset guy .
I'm the same. I was a preset guy too, then I got a Microbrute to learn the basics of analogue synthesis. I always struggled with Subtractor and everything I did sounded the same. It's too cold and digital sounding. But I found that what I learned on the Microbrute translated so well to Thor and it's easy to get lovely rich warm analogue sounds out of it. It's become a workhorse for me now. I use it in everything.

sleep1979

22 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
22 Mar 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
I'm the same. I was a preset guy too, then I got a Microbrute to learn the basics of analogue synthesis. I always struggled with Subtractor and everything I did sounded the same. It's too cold and digital sounding. But I found that what I learned on the Microbrute translated so well to Thor and it's easy to get lovely rich warm analogue sounds out of it. It's become a workhorse for me now. I use it in everything.
You kinda discard it at first because you think its old and you dont know what your doin then you pick up something more flashier and pricier .

i cancelled one month rent to own on rob papens predator and i sold a good vst once i started using thor , i didnt know it was that warm and fat until i started getting how it works .

its my number one synth now im gonna create sounds in that , and use nnxt sampled stuff alongside it for my songs , i have another synth maia that is good for bread and butter things which will go in my songs also .
these guys are the only things im using for the time being
so its 100% thor for my old skool analog sounds and synthesis needs and sampled stuff for everything else , i get too confused with more than one synth and yeah im not a fan of subtractor or europa like you at the moment,
But maybe i could get europa sounding warm with some old fashioned wavetables like people do with serum , thats an idea for the future , just thor for me now , no need to buy any more crap synths in the future , its like going out looking for women , when you have a perfectly good one at home ?whats the point ? U want it but you dont need it .

mashers

22 Mar 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
You kinda discard it at first because you think its old and you dont know what your doin then you pick up something more flashier and pricier .
For me, it seemed so intimidating. All the module panels... all the filters... all the routing... it just looked incomprehensible. But once I learned the basics of oscillators, filters, envelopes etc., the whole interface of Thor fell into place for me. It makes complete sense. I'm still scratching the surface of what it can do and I'm a long way from mastering it, but the sounds I'm making with it are a bit more intentional now rather than accidentally finding sounds or clicking through patches. I can't remember when I last used a patch for any synth sounds at all.
sleep1979 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
its my number one synth now im gonna create sounds in that , and use nnxt sampled stuff alongside it for my songs
One of the cool things about Thor is the audio input, which you can route through the modulation matrix into Thor's filters and envelopes. So you can get the effect of a wavetable or sample based synth that way. I did this recently by routing a metal electric bass VST into a formant filter in Thor. It sounds terrifying :D
sleep1979 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
i have another synth maia that is good for bread and butter things which will go in my songs also .
these guys are the only things im using for the time being
It's good to build a set of instruments that you go back to time and time again. It's how you develop a consistent sound :)
sleep1979 wrote:
22 Mar 2019
so its 100% thor for my old skool analog sounds and synthesis needs and sampled stuff for everything else , i get too confused with more than one synth and yeah im not a fan of subtractor or europa like you at the moment,
But maybe i could get europa sounding warm with some old fashioned wavetables like people do with serum ,
I don't even know where to start with Europa. No clue whatsoever what it even does :lol:

• Information