A way to get track data? Time spent on song?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Wobbleburger

20 Mar 2019

Is there a way to get the total time spent on a track from a log somewhere? I'd like to know general stats about songs I've worked on.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

Not that I’m aware of, especially since without advanced tracking you would be tracking only how long a song file was OPEN, which won’t necessarily track actual use - especially in my case, because I often get distracted and leave the room with the file open, or start playing with my modular/hardware synths if I get stuck on the song I’m working on... ;)

As a side note, I’ve often wondered how long I spend on a track, and what I was actually doing. I’m also curious exactly WHAT I do, specifically where I spend the most time on average and what tasks are most common overall. Tracking at this level may require a full separate application or something built into the OS, and is probably well beyond what you’re looking for anyway.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

PeterP

21 Mar 2019

Maybe if the tracking system was tied in with the Undo system, then it could know what actions happened and when. Perhaps it could detect when nothing is happening and then generate a breakdown on how long time was spent on recording, editing, rack tweaking and mixing.

Noplan
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

You can create an extra track on which you create blocks in the sequencer that represent a unit of time. For example 30 minutes. After each session you can then copy blocks according to the time required. In the end, you can count them together.
time spent.jpg
time spent.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 919 times

FGL

21 Mar 2019

Better you stop with your Iphone at beginning and end.

FGL

21 Mar 2019

And then write it on the most forgotten thing: Paper.

TheGodOfRainbows

21 Mar 2019

Noplan wrote:
21 Mar 2019
You can create an extra track on which you create blocks in the sequencer that represent a unit of time. For example 30 minutes. After each session you can then copy blocks according to the time required. In the end, you can count them together.
time spent.jpg
Cool idea!! I might try this! But year, I've long wished there was some basic form of time spent working on a song, even if it is just tracking the time from when it was opened to the time it was closed. In fact, using Noplan's idea, you could also just create blocks to log time and date stamps. But, me thinks I'm too lazy of a bum to even do that.

It seems like it would be an easy thing to implement, but ofc, I'm no programmer and I know nothing about anything.

Adabler
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

Someone who knows how to code, could probably make a small program that starts a timer whenever reason opens a specific .rns file.
:reason: 12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

21 Mar 2019

There's a hofa plugin for this, free. There's also an app called "rescue time".

If you use the hofa one, don't do as Selig (leave the project open and go do other things) :)

NekujaK

21 Mar 2019

There are a couple of free utility plugins that are designed to gather various info about sessions. The data needs to be entered manually, and there's no specific field to capture time spent, but these are still handy for maintaining metadata about a session.

Studio Collect: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/studio ... veva-sound

I've used it to keep track of relevant info that's needed at the end of a project when working with clients. It's nice to have it all in one place and available from within the project.
StudioCollect.jpg
StudioCollect.jpg (83.64 KiB) Viewed 863 times

MNotepad
: https://www.meldaproduction.com/MNotepad

I typically use this to keep track of client feedback and make note of mix revisions.
MNotepad.jpg
MNotepad.jpg (101.81 KiB) Viewed 863 times
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

• Information