Should I downgrade macOS to 10.7?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

19 Mar 2019

My main iMac can run Reason 10 fine, but my 2011 MacBook is painful to use. I only use it for Reason. Do you guys think there is value in downgrading it to 10.7? Would this perform better than High Sierra which it’s running now?

esselfortium

19 Mar 2019

Potentially, but be aware that many programs won’t want to run on an older OS.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

eusti

19 Mar 2019

I would wait to see what the Reason 10.3 update brings.

D.

mashers

19 Mar 2019

esselfortium wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Potentially, but be aware that many programs won’t want to run on an older OS.
I don’t care about anything else on this machine. It sits on the desk in my studio and I don’t do anything with it other than run Reason. So if it will run better on 10.7, I’ll burn High Sierra to the ground ;)
eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2019
I would wait to see what the Reason 10.3 update brings.

D.
Is there some suggestion that it will improve performance on High Sierra? If so I’ll hold off.

I can actually resize the macOS partition and install 10.7 on a separate partition. I did this so I could install Ubuntu on this machine. I might even just torch the Ubuntu partition and use it for 10.7.

eusti

19 Mar 2019

Well, I'd definitely be curious. But be aware that some plug ins (as in VST) actually require certain OS versions... If you don't have any of these, why not give it a go if you are set up for it...

D.

mashers

19 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Well, I'd definitely be curious. But be aware that some plug ins (as in VST) actually require certain OS versions... If you don't have any of these, why not give it a go if you are set up for it...

D.
Actually I am using a couple of VSTs. I'll check their required macOS version and report back once I've given it a try!

mashers

19 Mar 2019

Well the decision about reinstalling has been made for me... I tried to delete my Ubuntu partition and resize my macOS and managed to corrupt the partition table, so it's reinstall time :p Good job all my music is on Dropbox and everything else gets backed up to a Time Capsule on an hourly basis.

eusti

19 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Well the decision about reinstalling has been made for me... I tried to delete my Ubuntu partition and resize my macOS and managed to corrupt the partition table, so it's reinstall time :p Good job all my music is on Dropbox and everything else gets backed up to a Time Capsule on an hourly basis.
Wow! Good luck.

I just realized that the accounting I was doing over the last few days was not backing up...
And now my computer crashed... Will need to decompress a bit before starting again... :P

D.

mashers

19 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2019
mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Wow! Good luck.

I just realized that the accounting I was doing over the last few days was not backing up...
And now my computer crashed... Will need to decompress a bit before starting again... :P

D.
I'm paranoid with backups. All my music gets synced from both my iMac and my MacBook to Dropbox. Everything also gets backed up hourly to two separate Time Capsules, and every time I finish a track I put it on a hard drive which is locked in a safe at a friend's house. And still I worry :roll:

I couldn't use 10.7 after all the trouble of installing it, as Dropbox is no longer supported below 10.10. So I'm just re-downloading 10.10 and then I'll be able to try that. Hopefully Reason will run better on that than on High Sierra, as I'm under the impression somehow that poor performance in Reason is a known issue in that particular version.

eusti

19 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
I'm paranoid with backups. All my music gets synced from both my iMac and my MacBook to Dropbox. Everything also gets backed up hourly to two separate Time Capsules, and every time I finish a track I put it on a hard drive which is locked in a safe at a friend's house. And still I worry :roll:

I couldn't use 10.7 after all the trouble of installing it, as Dropbox is no longer supported below 10.10. So I'm just re-downloading 10.10 and then I'll be able to try that. Hopefully Reason will run better on that than on High Sierra, as I'm under the impression somehow that poor performance in Reason is a known issue in that particular version.
Makes sense!

In my case I hadn't realized that the program that I use only makes a back up of its data when you restart the program... And I had just left it open... :p

D.

mashers

19 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Makes sense!

In my case I hadn't realized that the program that I use only makes a back up of its data when you restart the program... And I had just left it open... :p

D.
Ah ok. What OS are you on?

eusti

19 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Ah ok. What OS are you on?
On that computer 10.10.

And it just gave me a random weird blank screen for the second time today... Not good... :(
Might need look into that...

D.

mashers

19 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2019
On that computer 10.10.

And it just gave me a random weird blank screen for the second time today... Not good... :(

D.
Have you considered Time Machine? IIRC you don’t need a Time Capsule to use it, and it keeps automatic hourly backups of any changed files.

eusti

19 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
19 Mar 2019
eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2019
On that computer 10.10.

D.
Have you considered Time Machine? IIRC you don’t need a Time Capsule to use it, and it keeps automatic hourly backups of any changed files.
Thanks! Will look into that... Now the screen of my iMac is flickering like crazy... :P

D.

mashers

20 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Thanks! Will look into that... Now the screen of my iMac is flickering like crazy... :P

D.
You definitely need a backup solution :shock:

Well my laptop was on overnight syncing dropbox, downloading Reason etc. Now I'm just downloading REs and VSTs before giving it a try.

• Information