32BIT Rewire fail to handshake with Rsn

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2019

I have some old files created on 32 bit reason, that were interfacing with an audio application running in 32 bit only.
I know 32 bit vst's won't run in Reason 64, but is it normal the same principle applies to Rewire also???

adfielding

19 Mar 2019

Re8et wrote:
19 Mar 2019
I have some old files created on 32 bit reason, that were interfacing with an audio application running in 32 bit only.
I know 32 bit vst's won't run in Reason 64, but is it normal the same principle applies to Rewire also???
Yep, iirc 32-bit ReWire requires both host & slave to be 32-bit. You may have to dust off an older version of Reason if the host is a 32-bit application.

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2019

adfielding wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Re8et wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Yep, iirc 32-bit ReWire requires both host & slave to be 32-bit. You may have to dust off an older version of Reason if the host is a 32-bit application.
Talking about retrocompatibility it would be cool feature if we could download the last 32 bit version of reason and that install would not break Reason 64. I'm actualy thinking of firing off my 2004 pc for that because I fear have a double install of reason on same machine could break something (authorizer)?.

adfielding

19 Mar 2019

Re8et wrote:
19 Mar 2019
adfielding wrote:
19 Mar 2019

Talking about retrocompatibility it would be cool feature if we could download the last 32 bit version of reason and that install would not break Reason 64. I'm actualy thinking of firing off my 2004 pc for that because I fear have a double install of reason on same machine could break something (authorizer)?.
Have you considered using Sandboxie?

https://www.sandboxie.com/

You could set up a sandbox, install an older 32-bit version of Reason in the sandbox (along with your 32-bit ReWire host), allow it read-only access to your instruments & documents and - presto! A 32-bit install that (in theory) isn't going to mess with your other stuff.

Disclaimer: I've only tried this in a VM with Reason 1 - 5, but it works perfectly for those.

Re8et
Competition Winner

19 Mar 2019

adfielding wrote:
19 Mar 2019

Have you considered using Sandboxie?

You could set up a sandbox, install an older 32-bit version of Reason in the sandbox (along with your 32-bit ReWire host), allow it read-only access to your instruments & documents and - presto! A 32-bit install that (in theory) isn't going to mess with your other stuff.

Disclaimer: I've only tried this in a VM with Reason 1 - 5, but it works perfectly for those.

Yes, but it's too complicated

Found this 2014 post, quite sure it would not work. Problem is I do not have an old version install any more , last version required to do the trick is 8.1 (I have only 9 install files, not 8.1) :

Windows:
1. Open the Reason DVD (or the Reason download package, if you have downloaded the program from the web)
in the Windows Explorer.
2. Right-click the “Install Reason.exe” file and select “Create Shortcut”.
If the file is on the DVD, you will be asked if you want the shortcut to be placed on the desktop – click Yes.
3. Locate the shortcut you just created, right-click it and select “Properties”.
4. On the “Shortcut” page of the Properties dialog, locate the Target field and add ” /32″ (without the quotes) at
the very end. The Target field should say
“D:\Install Reason.exe” /32
(although the drive letter may not be “D”, depending on your setup).
5. Click OK.
6. Double click the shortcut file to install a 32-bit version of Reason.
The installed Reason version will have the name “Reason (32)” on the Start menu and desktop. You can have the
regular 64-bit version installed at the same time if you like. “

Also found this 32 bit bridge, but unfortunately it doesnt work the other way around (i.e. it allows reason 32 bit to run in a 64 bit host and not reason 64 into 32 bit host-rewire)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/6s47z1qv ... bridge.rar

And then I would need 100% the rewire/rebirth panel to work...
https://francisfisher.me.uk/problem/201 ... ws-7-or-8/

adfielding

19 Mar 2019

Re8et wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Found this 2014 post, quite sure it would not work. Problem is I do not have an old version install any more , last version required to do the trick is 8.1 (I have only 9 install files, not 8.1)
Ahh yeah, that's a shame. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can download older Reason installs from the PH site. If you take the regular Reason 10 download link...

https://www.propellerheads.com/download/reason10

...and substitute the "10" with the version number you require, it'll take you to the appropriate page. Unfortunately, 8.1 isn't there - only 8.3. 7.1 is there though, so that might be worth a shot?

I've never tried using a ReWire bridge before. I realise this isn't particularly constructive but, to be honest, this is all serving as a handy reminder of why I stopped using ReWire in the first place, and why I'm really glad I can do pretty much everything in Reason nowadays.

Re8et
Competition Winner

20 Mar 2019

adfielding wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Re8et wrote:
19 Mar 2019
Found this 2014 post, quite sure it would not work. Problem is I do not have an old version install any more , last version required to do the trick is 8.1 (I have only 9 install files, not 8.1)
Ahh yeah, that's a shame. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you can download older Reason installs from the PH site. If you take the regular Reason 10 download link...

https://www.propellerheads.com/download/reason10

...and substitute the "10" with the version number you require, it'll take you to the appropriate page. Unfortunately, 8.1 isn't there - only 8.3. 7.1 is there though, so that might be worth a shot?

I've never tried using a ReWire bridge before. I realise this isn't particularly constructive but, to be honest, this is all serving as a handy reminder of why I stopped using ReWire in the first place, and why I'm really glad I can do pretty much everything in Reason nowadays.
I can see only up to 9.5.4. Maybe you had bought that version and you can go back up to where you first had purchased a licence? My first licence was version 9... I don't know, just guessing...

Yes it's not so worthy these days to look back, I just wanted to give a shot to this old host of mine and see if I could get hold on some old song files, memories and stuff, if it's too hard to accomplice, time wise, I'd skip it. It's :thumbs_up: not that important afterall.

• Information