Reason 10.3 public beta is open!

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
plaamook
Posts: 948
Joined: 22 Jan 2015
Location: probably underwater

Post 16 Mar 2019

ShawnG wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Presumably the non-VST improvements will be mostly limited to those RE's that also have issues dealing with the current buffer limitation. I wouldn't expect stock reason devices or processes to improve, since they were already programmed with the buffer size in mind.
They don't really need to. If you make a track as long as my schlong with all stock devices it'll run smooth as anything, same as ever I think.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6045
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

ShawnG wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Presumably the non-VST improvements will be mostly limited to those RE's that also have issues dealing with the current buffer limitation. I wouldn't expect stock reason devices or processes to improve, since they were already programmed with the buffer size in mind.
Some ppl still expect fixes for WindowsXP and do not want to upgrade...

The code between R8 and R10 is probably very different. Merging them together is impossible or just too expensive. The ppl would moan around if they need to pay for such an update of old version or if they need to pay for a upgrade...ppl always moan if it is not free...ppl pay for their car and gasoline, for their food and other stuff...pay for your software too.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

Fusion
Posts: 31
Joined: 24 Mar 2017

Post 16 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
16 Mar 2019
ShawnG wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Presumably the non-VST improvements will be mostly limited to those RE's that also have issues dealing with the current buffer limitation. I wouldn't expect stock reason devices or processes to improve, since they were already programmed with the buffer size in mind.
Some ppl still expect fixes for WindowsXP and do not want to upgrade...

The code between R8 and R10 is probably very different. Merging them together is impossible or just too expensive. The ppl would moan around if they need to pay for such an update of old version or if they need to pay for a upgrade...ppl always moan if it is not free...ppl pay for their car and gasoline, for their food and other stuff...pay for your software too.
But the problems are with the code from reason 9, which If I payed to upgrade to reason 8 . Most Would expect it to at least work the same or better. That’s why I expect them to still care about reason 9 users. If it’s that hard to code the fixes into 9 they should honour a free update for those who are still having problems.

I tried the reason 10 demo and performance is about the same so i guess the main code is the same a reason 9.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6045
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Loque wrote:
16 Mar 2019

Some ppl still expect fixes for WindowsXP and do not want to upgrade...

The code between R8 and R10 is probably very different. Merging them together is impossible or just too expensive. The ppl would moan around if they need to pay for such an update of old version or if they need to pay for a upgrade...ppl always moan if it is not free...ppl pay for their car and gasoline, for their food and other stuff...pay for your software too.
But the problems are with the code from reason 9, which If I payed to upgrade to reason 8 . Most Would expect it to at least work the same or better. That’s why I expect them to still care about reason 9 users. If it’s that hard to code the fixes into 9 they should honour a free update for those who are still having problems.

I tried the reason 10 demo and performance is about the same so i guess the main code is the same a reason 9.
Really...sometimes i am suprised by the ppl...The release of 10.3 is delayed approx 3-4 months and they work on it since last summer... A bunch of ppl working hard to get that fixed and you do not want to pay all of them for more than 6 months of hard work....wow... :shock:
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6240
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

- Reason 9 was released in June 2016 (3 years old this June). Reason 9.5 the following year (2 years old next month).

- Reason 9.5 was a free update and VST support was quite the surprise.

- If purchasing Reason 9 later after the 9.5 update, it could be run in demo mode before being purchased. VSTs work in demo mode, and no need even for the 30 day Reason trial.

- In terms of VST performance, everything in Reason 9.5 and Reason 10 up until now is working as I first experienced it. Propellerhead didn't release an update that broke anything that was previously working for me in terms of VST.

- When updates are introduced in any software, along come new bugs. And Propellerhead is great at finding and squashing them. But when a developer tries to incorporate an update (one that we know requires big rewrites) into different versions, it's not just something they can do and then move on...because then they potentially introduce other problems, breaking things that worked for you previously, and then they are spending their time and resources fixing an old version. And that doesn't promote progress.

- Upgrade to Reason 10, or wait until Reason 11 whenever that is, and you'll have the performance improvements then.

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 1983
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

only expect what they said they would do... don't want 11 to get fixes promised... paid more then enough to them theses last years... all my money lol
is that enough or do I have ti rob a bank as well

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6240
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

moneykube wrote:
16 Mar 2019
only expect what they said they would do... don't want 11 to get fixes promised... paid more then enough to them theses last years... all my money lol
is that enough or do I have ti rob a bank as well
VST performance improvement was announced for Reason 10. I don't remember anything during the years of Reason 9. Are you talking about anything else more specific?

User avatar
moneykube
Posts: 1983
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

no vst fix is fine... a welcome addition... get some crashing reason when removing vst... wish racks were optimizised better though... the high resource synths like,, expanse, zero, and so on... frustrating to have to bounce track from rack that was said to work great with 5 stars usually
never happened before vst was added... hmmm... there is a hint
stiill have 9.2 on computer because of this issue... use 10 for all else
all tests run so far 9.2 handles racks better... program operates faster... of course this was not the fix in question
old system... leary of breaking things just to spend money on 11 because it is new and shiny
the 10 fix did take a long time
or is taking a long time

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3065
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 16 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019
miscend wrote:
15 Mar 2019


Is Reason 9 still supported? I don't any DAW company that still supports prior releases.
Considering reason 10 was mainly just a few new instruments or players that could have been optional upgrades for reason 9 and that reason 9 has never worked fully on Mac OS X then it’s bad that cannot add this improvement to 9 and are forcing me to pay more money for something that has never worked like reason 8 did. I have spent a long time waiting for a fix as I do not want to learn another piece of software, I just want to make music without the hassle of keeping my projects small and only using a few plugins.
Just wait a few more months (I know, I get a bit impatient too) till Reason 11 appears (my guess is about July / August) and upgrade then, then you'll get a lot more for your money. ;)
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3065
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 16 Mar 2019

npinero1 wrote:
16 Mar 2019
VST3 support would be nice.
Sorry folks, only just read the previous comments (as I posted previously on this thread about whether we'd see VST 3 support as did npinero1) and it doesn't appear likely.

What I would like to ask though, would VST 3 support require another big rewrite of code or just adding something in to the previously existing code? if the latter, then hopefully we'll see VST 3 support in Reason 11.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 10.4 / Cockus Reaper 5.982 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 16 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
16 Mar 2019


no one is forcing you to pay to upgrade. I don’t get how a VST performance improvement will help you achieve results that you got in a version that you didn’t have access to VSTs in.

it’s a pretty standard business practice to stop supporting older versions when the new ones come out (though I understand why some companies merge changes back into previous builds for some software—usually only if it’s broken, or they find some sort of security issue).

I get why you don’t really need version 10, but 1) $100 to upgrade is a steal, and 2) if you can hold out a few more months, we’ll probably see an announcement for Reason 11 soon—maybe the improvements there will be more worthwhile for you, and you’ll get the performance increase along with it (but it’ll probably cost more than $100 at that point).
It’s said that it will bring improvements for non vst use so would hope this would at least make it similar to reason 8 performance.

They are forcing me to upgrade if I want it to work at full performance. I am surprised no one else cares about this. They were aware of the issues and instead of fixing it they charged users for a version upgrade which still didn’t fix the problems

That other person even said something to the effect of “ it’s normal for companies to not support older versions, and when they do it’s because of broken software”

9.5 was pretty broken lol, I mean it was usable but I had the only 5 crashes in my entire Reason using experience

I wonder if there is a way for them to make a 9.6 release for those on 9.5

I feel like it’s not fair to the customers who bought in at 9.5 for vst, just to get a product that is comparable to walking in an abandoned mine field. Perhaps a parallel solution could be worked out or maybe they could just offer a crazy discount? Idk
In my opinion, I say just get 10 as much as you might not want to. 10 really does have a lot of useful stuff. They didnt just add a few synths, they added a few top of the line Reason music making experiences :)

Best of luck to the 9.5’ers
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1348
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 16 Mar 2019

Sooo.. did anyone actually got to take a closer look already on 10.3 or is everyone in the queue like me? :D
:reason: Most recent track: The Test (feat. MrFigg) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1399
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 16 Mar 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
16 Mar 2019

I feel like it’s not fair to the customers who bought in at 9.5 for vst
on one hand, I sort of think, “buyer beware”. buying into the first generation of functionality in any software, especially when it relies on third party software, will always have risks. all told, I suspect the majority is happy that they got VST implementation at all, irrespective of performance. for a lot of us, I think, the 10.3 update to make it even better is icing.

that said, on the other hand, I definitely get where you’re coming from, and it could have been implemented better from the start...BUT, that obviously would have taken another lengthy chunk of time for Props to work out, and we might not have had VST at all until very recently/now. not necessarily a good, or a bad thing—just an observation.

npinero1
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

diminished wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Sooo.. did anyone actually got to take a closer look already on 10.3 or is everyone in the queue like me? :D
I can’t believe it took 4 pages for someone to finally ask if others (beta testers) are actually seeing an improvement.
So..... is anyone seeing an improvement ?!?!?!
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1242
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

npinero1 wrote:
17 Mar 2019
diminished wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Sooo.. did anyone actually got to take a closer look already on 10.3 or is everyone in the queue like me? :D
I can’t believe it took 4 pages for someone to finally ask if others (beta testers) are actually seeing an improvement.
So..... is anyone seeing an improvement ?!?!?!
No one will be able to see performance improvements until a bit later in the beta process when non-logging builds are being tested. For now they're just testing builds with logging code (which slows things down quite a bit) in order to catch bugs that may have been introduced as a result of the performance work.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 6045
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

npinero1 wrote:
17 Mar 2019
diminished wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Sooo.. did anyone actually got to take a closer look already on 10.3 or is everyone in the queue like me? :D
I can’t believe it took 4 pages for someone to finally ask if others (beta testers) are actually seeing an improvement.
So..... is anyone seeing an improvement ?!?!?!
It was obvious to most ppl I guess... No improvement with logging enabled. We need to wait a bit more.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

PhillipOrdonez
Posts: 584
Joined: 20 Oct 2017
Location: Colombia

Post 17 Mar 2019

npinero1 wrote:
17 Mar 2019
diminished wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Sooo.. did anyone actually got to take a closer look already on 10.3 or is everyone in the queue like me? :D
I can’t believe it took 4 pages for someone to finally ask if others (beta testers) are actually seeing an improvement.
So..... is anyone seeing an improvement ?!?!?!
They weren't asking that at all. They only asked if any had gotten in into the beta testing. English. Learn it. It'll be good for you.

User avatar
miscend
Posts: 1374
Joined: 09 Feb 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019
miscend wrote:
15 Mar 2019


Is Reason 9 still supported? I don't any DAW company that still supports prior releases.
Considering reason 10 was mainly just a few new instruments or players that could have been optional upgrades for reason 9 and that reason 9 has never worked fully on Mac OS X then it’s bad that cannot add this improvement to 9 and are forcing me to pay more money for something that has never worked like reason 8 did. I have spent a long time waiting for a fix as I do not want to learn another piece of software, I just want to make music without the hassle of keeping my projects small and only using a few plugins.
I never had issues with version 9 on Mac OS. What probably happened is that the update to MacOS that came out after Reason 10 released broke things in prior versions. It’s probably the deprecation of older APIs. That’s just Apple.

Look paid updates in the DAW world are always a very contentious issue. It’s the same for Cubase and Ableton users. That’s why Bitwig moved to an annual subscription model so that updates are not tied to major version numbers. Regardless no matter how hard they try Props would never be able to satisfy everyone. For me the performance improvements and various quality of life updates in 10 are worth it.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6240
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

Hey everybody, lets please try to keep things civil here.

Yes, this update is all about performance improvements. And yes, the beta begins with logging versions, looking for bugs, and not testing performance right away. So those who apply for the beta and are hoping to get in early are doing so for their love of helping to find bugs :) Because hey, if you can encounter a bug on your specific system and setup with a chance of having it fixed now rather than later, that's a great thing for everybody. There's no immediate, first peek at much that is new until the non-logging stage.

npinero1
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
17 Mar 2019
npinero1 wrote:
17 Mar 2019


I can’t believe it took 4 pages for someone to finally ask if others (beta testers) are actually seeing an improvement.
So..... is anyone seeing an improvement ?!?!?!
They weren't asking that at all. They only asked if any had gotten in into the beta testing. English. Learn it. It'll be good for you.
Ouch, you’re right but that was what I was thinking would have been the next question.
So I am guessing either no one here can say if they are seeing improvements in performance or everyone is asking for features that are not part of the update. I was hoping the glass is half full, it seems empty here.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

npinero1
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 17 Mar 2019

joeyluck wrote:
17 Mar 2019
Hey everybody, lets please try to keep things civil here.

Yes, this update is all about performance improvements. And yes, the beta begins with logging versions, looking for bugs, and not testing performance right away. So those who apply for the beta and are hoping to get in early are doing so for their love of helping to find bugs :) Because hey, if you can encounter a bug on your specific system and setup with a chance of having it fixed now rather than later, that's a great thing for everybody. There's no immediate, first peek at much that is new until the non-logging stage.
Thanks for this, I thought the complaining was getting a bit rough. I really can’t wait for this update.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 139
Joined: 03 Jul 2018

Post 17 Mar 2019

123repeater wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Just curious if there will be any additions in Reason 10.3 outside of the VST improvement. Thanks.
I would hope the Allihoopa icon has now disappeared off the Transport bar!!

User avatar
riemac
Posts: 502
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Location: Germany

Post 17 Mar 2019

Magnus wrote:
17 Mar 2019
123repeater wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Just curious if there will be any additions in Reason 10.3 outside of the VST improvement. Thanks.
I would hope the Allihoopa icon has now disappeared off the Transport bar!!
Yes, you can see that it was removed on the official 10.3 picture. I think there is another change, but I am not sure.

scratchnsnifff
Posts: 1322
Joined: 21 Sep 2016

Post 17 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Loque wrote:
16 Mar 2019

Some ppl still expect fixes for WindowsXP and do not want to upgrade...

The code between R8 and R10 is probably very different. Merging them together is impossible or just too expensive. The ppl would moan around if they need to pay for such an update of old version or if they need to pay for a upgrade...ppl always moan if it is not free...ppl pay for their car and gasoline, for their food and other stuff...pay for your software too.
But the problems are with the code from reason 9, which If I payed to upgrade to reason 8 . Most Would expect it to at least work the same or better. That’s why I expect them to still care about reason 9 users. If it’s that hard to code the fixes into 9 they should honour a free update for those who are still having problems.

I tried the reason 10 demo and performance is about the same so i guess the main code is the same a reason 9.
I feel like I should dig through all the media they did when 9.5 was released somewhere between 9.5 and 10.3 I’m pretty sure they said they would fix the 9.5 performance. That’s why I’m entertaining this stance.

Idk, maybe they will help the 9.5 users or maybe it’s expected to just pay the upgrade.

But No matter what points are brought up, I don’t think it’s fair to have a working product. Then get a free upgrade which makes the product partly broken lol idk it just doesn’t seem normal. I think when 10 came out it kinda threw a wrench in the plans to help the 9.5 users. Like I said before, i partly believe there should have been a fix for 9.5’ers (because if you get an ability to use 3rd party software, sure it’s risky but some devices cost an arm and a leg. So the hosting platform should at least run them properly). And the other part of me just wishes everyone could get behind Reason 10. Europa and grain + everything else is worth the discounted price times a million :)

P.s. thanks PH for all the amazing stuff as of the recent year!
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

User avatar
ProfessaKaos
Posts: 311
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post 17 Mar 2019

riemac wrote:
17 Mar 2019
Magnus wrote:
17 Mar 2019


I would hope the Allihoopa icon has now disappeared off the Transport bar!!
Yes, you can see that it was removed on the official 10.3 picture. I think there is another change, but I am not sure.
No "Delay Comp" button
:reason: 10 PC- Windows 10, Intel 6800k, x99A-II, 32GB RAM, M.2. Samsung 970EVO, GTX1060.

http://www.soundcloud.com/professakaos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7ufy ... 2E3LIrDfKg

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests