Reason 10.3 public beta is open!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EdGrip

15 Mar 2019

I understand Mattias' "If it works, you don't need to know how it works." frustration.
But I bet most people here have, at some point, taken a household appliance apart to see how it works. ^_^

AttenuationHz

15 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
15 Mar 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
15 Mar 2019

That’s rough man, as far as I remember I THINK that they said they would give the performance boost to 9.5 users. But I’m not an employee, and idk if that was ever subject to change.

I’m hoping for the 9.5 users that this performance patch gets thrown your way. Mainly because there was definitely some flaws with the initial setup
there’s a reason it’s called 10.3... ;)
Currently on sale too, there's two Reason's!!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

ab459

15 Mar 2019

electrofux wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I guess VST Midi and
zumBeispiel wrote:
15 Mar 2019
vst MIDI OUT?
Yeah, would be cool to use Thesys or MTonic midiout inside reason without midiloopback.

sleep1979

15 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Aquila wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I have the perfect song to test this with. I hope I get my invite sooner rather than later.
You'll probably have to wait a little while to test that song. The first part of the beta uses a logging version which is significantly slower than the real thing to help us find bugs in the rewrite we did, also letting you turn the improvements on/off. Then later on in the beta there'll be a non-logging version where you can test performance without any limitations.
Update is for intro also ?

123repeater

15 Mar 2019

Just curious if there will be any additions in Reason 10.3 outside of the VST improvement. Thanks.

Wobbleburger

16 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Aquila wrote:
15 Mar 2019
I have the perfect song to test this with. I hope I get my invite sooner rather than later.
You'll probably have to wait a little while to test that song. The first part of the beta uses a logging version which is significantly slower than the real thing to help us find bugs in the rewrite we did, also letting you turn the improvements on/off. Then later on in the beta there'll be a non-logging version where you can test performance without any limitations.
Smart! Thanks for listening to the community and making this happen, Mattias. One of the many reasons I love supporting Propellerhead and Reason. Excited to test both versions.
In the 90s, my midi music was on the Baulder's Gate site. That was my life peak.
Reasonite since 2000. My music (and my old midi) can be found here:
https://futurewizard.org

tobypearce

16 Mar 2019

I'm curious about the beta test - if the main thing is about whether performance improves, the logging version is going to be strange as that always slows things down. Hopefully it's just about finding any hidden bugs and then moving on to the non logging version pretty quickly!
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

moneykube

16 Mar 2019

broke my arm last week... hard enough using reason without breaking it more... so.. I leave this to you great testers... live long and prosper
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

EnochLight

16 Mar 2019

123repeater wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Just curious if there will be any additions in Reason 10.3 outside of the VST improvement. Thanks.
Aside from a general performance increase all around, no. From the blog post:
With that in mind, we found that Reason 10.3 improves performance even when not using VSTs too! It will differ a bit depending on your setup, but we've seen up to a 30% improvement.
This is the long-awaited free point update to specifically address VST-performance, but it looks like general performance has improved all around - so that's always nice.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

16 Mar 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Aquila wrote:
15 Mar 2019
:thumbs_up:

Hi Mattias, can you confirm, this is just a performance update, no VST 3 support yet or any other additions? I also wish you could scan for VST's while Reason is open and not have to restart your comp.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

mon

16 Mar 2019

“With that in mind, we found that Reason 10.3 improves performance even when not using VSTs too! It will differ a bit depending on your setup, but we've seen up to a 30% improvement.”

Awesome news! I really hope that the update will make noticeable difference with rack extensions also. Thank you for this much needed update!

npinero1

16 Mar 2019

VST3 support would be nice.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

npinero1

16 Mar 2019

npinero1 wrote:
16 Mar 2019
But a performance update is still welcome because I have an iMac Pro and lots of VSTs and my computer is choking.
:reason: :re: :refillpacker: :reload: :ignition:

Loque

16 Mar 2019

npinero1 wrote:
16 Mar 2019
First things first...
Reason12, Win10

Fusion

16 Mar 2019

miscend wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Fusion wrote:
15 Mar 2019
Any word on Reason 9 users?? I assume this will fix the performance issues for us to.

I do not need any new features in reason 10 and cannot afford the upgrade and after speaking to support about the problems with reason 9 and Mac OS X have been left waiting since vsts were added
Is Reason 9 still supported? I don't any DAW company that still supports prior releases.
Considering reason 10 was mainly just a few new instruments or players that could have been optional upgrades for reason 9 and that reason 9 has never worked fully on Mac OS X then it’s bad that cannot add this improvement to 9 and are forcing me to pay more money for something that has never worked like reason 8 did. I have spent a long time waiting for a fix as I do not want to learn another piece of software, I just want to make music without the hassle of keeping my projects small and only using a few plugins.

guitfnky

16 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019
miscend wrote:
15 Mar 2019

Is Reason 9 still supported? I don't any DAW company that still supports prior releases.
Considering reason 10 was mainly just a few new instruments or players that could have been optional upgrades for reason 9 and that reason 9 has never worked fully on Mac OS X then it’s bad that cannot add this improvement to 9 and are forcing me to pay more money for something that has never worked like reason 8 did. I have spent a long time waiting for a fix as I do not want to learn another piece of software, I just want to make music without the hassle of keeping my projects small and only using a few plugins.
no one is forcing you to pay to upgrade. I don’t get how a VST performance improvement will help you achieve results that you got in a version that you didn’t have access to VSTs in.

it’s a pretty standard business practice to stop supporting older versions when the new ones come out (though I understand why some companies merge changes back into previous builds for some software—usually only if it’s broken, or they find some sort of security issue).

I get why you don’t really need version 10, but 1) $100 to upgrade is a steal, and 2) if you can hold out a few more months, we’ll probably see an announcement for Reason 11 soon—maybe the improvements there will be more worthwhile for you, and you’ll get the performance increase along with it (but it’ll probably cost more than $100 at that point).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

sleep1979

16 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019

no one is forcing you to pay to upgrade. I don’t get how a VST performance improvement will help you achieve results that you got in a version that you didn’t have access to VSTs in.

it’s a pretty standard business practice to stop supporting older versions when the new ones come out (though I understand why some companies merge changes back into previous builds for some software—usually only if it’s broken, or they find some sort of security issue).

I get why you don’t really need version 10, but 1) $100 to upgrade is a steal, and 2) if you can hold out a few more months, we’ll probably see an announcement for Reason 11 soon—maybe the improvements there will be more worthwhile for you, and you’ll get the performance increase along with it (but it’ll probably cost more than $100 at that point).
Not if he waits for a sale

Dante

16 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
15 Mar 2019
So how and why does it also improve the overall, non-VST performance? I remember this wasn't an assumption or even expected (although I'm super happy about it, because I disabled VSTs in Reason altogether).
Obviously the rewrite got rid of some old inefficient code and the new code boosts the whole product. That's not something the coders will necessarily know before they start the project (and therefore not announced as an intended outcome), but just finding things on the way that either just work faster by rewriting or by stumbling across something they know how to make faster.

O1B

16 Mar 2019

may the force be with you
moneykube wrote:
16 Mar 2019
live long and prosper

gullum

16 Mar 2019

I don't use any VST so obviously, I won't be beta testing. It really grates to know that I will also benefit now test fast and effective

Loque

16 Mar 2019

gullum wrote:
16 Mar 2019
I don't use any VST so obviously, I won't be beta testing. It really grates to know that I will also benefit now test fast and effective
You could check if everything else works ok.
Reason12, Win10

Fusion

16 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
16 Mar 2019
Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019

It’s said that it will bring improvements for non vst use so would hope this would at least make it similar to reason 8 performance.

They are forcing me to upgrade if I want it to work at full performance. I am surprised no one else cares about this. They were aware of the issues and instead of fixing it they charged users for a version upgrade which still didn’t fix the problems

guitfnky

16 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
16 Mar 2019

It’s said that it will bring improvements for non vst use so would hope this would at least make it similar to reason 8 performance.

They are forcing me to upgrade if I want it to work at full performance. I am surprised no one else cares about this. They were aware of the issues and instead of fixing it they charged users for a version upgrade which still didn’t fix the problems
you’re comparing apples and oranges. the upgrade to 10 is for the instruments. they’re not charging you for VST performance enhancements in the 10 upgrade, they’re charging you for the instruments.

the VST performance improvements, from what I gather weren’t intended to improve overall performance; only VST performance. the performance increase isn’t intended to address your situation. it *might* help as a side effect, but suggesting they ought to give it to you for free is a heck of a stretch.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ShawnG

16 Mar 2019

Presumably the non-VST improvements will be mostly limited to those RE's that also have issues dealing with the current buffer limitation. I wouldn't expect stock reason devices or processes to improve, since they were already programmed with the buffer size in mind.

plaamook

16 Mar 2019

Fusion wrote:
16 Mar 2019

Grain is fuchen great and the upgrades on sale x20£
Could be worse.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

• Information