Reason 10.3 public beta is open!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
CloudsOfSound

21 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
21 Mar 2019
CloudsOfSound wrote:
Now that's a shot in the air, filled with bullshit.
Your theory is no more valid than anyone else’s. Be civil, please.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Sure, but what's the point in blabbering on about macs with a retina display having an impact on Reason's performance?
It's utter nonsense, at best.

Sorry, just having a bad day at work, and reading this just made me feel even worse about the fate of the human race...
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

esselfortium

21 Mar 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
21 Mar 2019
selig wrote:
21 Mar 2019

Your theory is no more valid than anyone else’s. Be civil, please.

Sure, but what's the point in blabbering on about macs with a retina display having an impact on Reason's performance?
It's utter nonsense, at best.

Sorry, just having a bad day at work, and reading this just made me feel even worse about the fate of the human race...
It's been a common complaint that Reason has had performance issues on retina-display Macs, there are some workarounds for it that users have found to mitigate the problem. It shouldn't be used to count out other unrelated performance issues, but it's definitely a real thing that exists.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

reddust

21 Mar 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 Mar 2019
What, I thought we were all in the beta? Join already!
Is it possible to switch between the beta and the current stable version? I'm working on some songs now and would like to switch back to previous version in case I get some persistent bugs with my setup... if that's possible I'll apply right now :)

PhillipOrdonez

21 Mar 2019

reddust wrote:
21 Mar 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 Mar 2019
What, I thought we were all in the beta? Join already!
Is it possible to switch between the beta and the current stable version? I'm working on some songs now and would like to switch back to previous version in case I get some persistent bugs with my setup... if that's possible I'll apply right now :)

Ja, they are separate installs!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Magnus wrote:
19 Mar 2019

I think mcatalao's trying to disprove the 'myth' I perpetuated that Reason performance has somehow declined with the same devices since version 8 onward.

My theory is this is exclusively a Mac thing and not because of Reason per se. It's perhaps because of the way retina Macs, which started becoming more popular around the same time, are causing CPU overhead by default in Reason; reducing performance.
Keep your theories in your head from now on, please...
I don't know if your saying that about Magnus's theory or about me saying reason's performance is the same.

The fact is that my system, comparing the same project tested in the 3 versions I stated (6.5, 8, 10) behaves the same. A project that loads more or less 20% on V6.5, loads more or less on v8 and on v10 (and i even have projects that behave a tad better with V10.2) than in the other 2).

This does not invalidate what Magnus's is saying and he makes a pretty valid claim because several people have said there are problems with Retina Mac's and my tests were done with my system that is a PC with windows 10.

reddust

21 Mar 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 Mar 2019
reddust wrote:
21 Mar 2019

Great, just applied for the beta :)

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

mcatalao wrote:
21 Mar 2019
The fact is that my system, comparing the same project tested in the 3 versions I stated (6.5, 8, 10) behaves the same. A project that loads more or less 20% on V6.5, loads more or less on v8 and on v10 (and i even have projects that behave a tad better with V10.2) than in the other 2).

This does not invalidate what Magnus's is saying and he makes a pretty valid claim because several people have said there are problems with Retina Mac's and my tests were done with my system that is a PC with windows 10.
Same here, no difference between versions.
But my problem on a retina mac is when I scroll (in Reason or in a browser while Reason is playing), which causes huge audio stutters. This was not a problem in "pre retina" macs I've used, IIRC.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

MarkTarlton

21 Mar 2019

I applied for the beta the same day it was released as soon as I was able, probably like 2 hours after all the early birds, and I still don't have access. reddust I would be patient since it will probably be a while since you are farther down the list, assuming that's how they pick testers, based on when you sign up.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
21 Mar 2019

But my problem on a retina mac is when I scroll (in Reason or in a browser while Reason is playing), which causes huge audio stutters. This was not a problem in "pre retina" macs I've used, IIRC.
Selig,

I don't know the timestamp of Retina devices, but i think this issue affects Windows too. It is not so grave as most mac users describe, but it's definitively there. I associated this with moving to an I7 without a graphics card. Also, the issue is only more noticeable on heavy projects (from 60/70% cpu load, or more than 4 dsp bars).
Last edited by mcatalao on 21 Mar 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reddust

21 Mar 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
21 Mar 2019
I applied for the beta the same day it was released as soon as I was able, probably like 2 hours after all the early birds, and I still don't have access. reddust I would be patient since it will probably be a while since you are farther down the list, assuming that's how they pick testers, based on when you sign up.
thanks, I'll wait patiently for my turn, even when I really want this update to happen as soon as possible, because I make a pretty high use of VST instruments in Reason, but the most important thing is to get a good working rather than a sooner update :thumbs_up:

CloudsOfSound

21 Mar 2019

mcatalao wrote:
21 Mar 2019
CloudsOfSound wrote:
21 Mar 2019

Keep your theories in your head from now on, please...
I don't know if your saying that about Magnus's theory or about me saying reason's performance is the same.

I'm not referring to your test results, I'm saying that the statement:
My theory is this is exclusively a Mac thing and not because of Reason per se. It's perhaps because of the way retina Macs, which started becoming more popular around the same time, are causing CPU overhead by default in Reason; reducing performance.
this is purely speculative, and it's not very logical that the performance of Reason should be affected by using retina displays or not.
Reason only uses a display layer to render UI graphics and it doesn't affect the performance of the application itself if you render the graphics on a retina display or not.
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
21 Mar 2019
I'm not referring to your test results, I'm saying that the statement:
this is purely speculative, and it's not very logical that the performance of Reason should be affected by using retina displays or not.
Reason only uses a display layer to render UI graphics and it doesn't affect the performance of the application itself if you render the graphics on a retina display or not.
Yes, it's purely speculative, which is why it was stated as "my theory" and used the term "perhaps".

You are correct - it's not logical but it's exactly what many users have experienced.

Why can't another member of the forum speculate based on facts - is it not exactly the same thing you are doing?
Selig Audio, LLC

CloudsOfSound

21 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Why can't another member of the forum speculate based on facts - is it not exactly the same thing you are doing?
Don't know specifically what you're referring to here, but sure, speculate all you want.
The world will be a better place when we can start to ignore logic and facts and start spreading rumors based on coincidence and opinionated reasoning.

There's no problem in the world you can't spin around and make it sound like the root cause for it was factor X with some help of the internet.
Always some other users out there who has experienced something similar, so it must be a connection there, even if there's not a shred of logic backing it up.

Roger Out.
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
selig wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Don't know specifically what you're referring to here, but sure, speculate all you want.
The world will be a better place when we can start to ignore logic and facts and start spreading rumors based on coincidence and opinionated reasoning.

There's no problem in the world you can't spin around and make it sound like the root cause for it was factor X with some help of the internet.
Always some other users out there who has experienced something similar, so it must be a connection there, even if there's not a shred of logic backing it up.

Roger Out.
Come on dude, I’m asking nicely (please re-read my initial post if you’re still not clear what I’m asking).
No need to get all sarcastic on us.

Further responses should be via PM if you still have a problem with my request.

Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

21 Mar 2019

pretty sure Selig is literally the last person on Reasontalk that would “ignore logic and facts”. literally the very last.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

plaamook

21 Mar 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Same, but you're not missing much. This isn't one of those beta's whrere you get a sneaky peak at the new toys. This really is bug hunting in the same old reason. More a job than an adventure.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

21 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
21 Mar 2019
mcatalao wrote:
21 Mar 2019

Actually I get it on a jacked up unibody 13" as well unless I switch to sRGB... colour profile.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

diminished
Competition Winner

21 Mar 2019

plaamook wrote:
21 Mar 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Same, but you're not missing much. This isn't one of those beta's whrere you get a sneaky peak at the new toys. This really is bug hunting in the same old reason. More a job than an adventure.
Yup can confirm.
And this is pure speculation because I'm neither with PH nor a software developer, but for me it makes sense to have beta testers in waves to reduce the amount of duplicate bug reports, then add another wave of testers once those bugs have been fixed.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Zerosity

21 Mar 2019

reddust wrote:
21 Mar 2019
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
21 Mar 2019

Great, just applied for the beta :)
Make sure you duplicate current projects before opening and saving them with the beta. Just a best practice to use separate projects for beta testing.

Kenni
Site Admin

21 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2019
pretty sure Selig is literally the last person on Reasontalk that would “ignore logic and facts”. literally the very last.
Guess again!!! :D
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

guitfnky

21 Mar 2019

Kenni wrote:
21 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2019
😆 I honestly can’t think of anyone on this site who is more rational than Selig, so I have no guesses to give!
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

21 Mar 2019

Kenni wrote:
21 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
21 Mar 2019
Indeed, it is well known by all that I routinely ignore logic AND facts. Why else would I hang out at a place like this?
:D
Selig Audio, LLC

two shoes

21 Mar 2019

botnotbot wrote:
20 Mar 2019
two shoes wrote:
19 Mar 2019

he already said no, but surely it will be part of Reason 11 - lack of midi vst out is the sole reason I still use other DAWs alongside Reason and there's a huge segment of the market that they're excluding as potential customers as long as this feature request remains unfulfilled.

i would actually rather have midi vst out than all other commonly requested features combined including performance improvements - it's that important.
But in my opinion there is no way for Reason to host MIDI VSTs in a Reason-like way until there is MIDI routing at the rack level. Which is not happening with the current graphics stack.
i don't quite follow what you mean by "not happening with the current graphics stack" - players are all midi devices that route midi to each other and the instruments that follow and you can freely convert between midi and cv signals with the midi to cv player devices as well. are you saying there's not point in having vst midi out without graphical cable routing for midi signals like audio and cv?

two shoes

21 Mar 2019

EnochLight wrote:
20 Mar 2019
PrivatePartsUK wrote:
20 Mar 2019
If Reason 10.3 with a bag of VST'S performs like Reaper I'll be a happy chappy 😬
It will never run as lean as Reaper. Reason is way more complicated than Reaper ever has been or likely will be (but that's a topic for another thread)... :lol:
you realize Reaper has had the ability to freely route audio from anywhere to anywhere and modulate any signal with any other signal since years ago right? maybe you mean that Reapers gui will never be as complicated as Reason's given the hardware paradigm? i'm not sure how you get any more "complicated" in terms of functionality (without going completely modular like Usine and all the recent Eurorack sims like vcv and vm) than the ability to route anything to anything else and modulate anything with anything else - it's also semi-adopted the Podium paradigm of hierarchical audio routing. Reason is simpler in every way except graphical presentation imo.

botnotbot

21 Mar 2019

two shoes wrote:
21 Mar 2019
botnotbot wrote:
20 Mar 2019

But in my opinion there is no way for Reason to host MIDI VSTs in a Reason-like way until there is MIDI routing at the rack level. Which is not happening with the current graphics stack.
i don't quite follow what you mean by "not happening with the current graphics stack" - players are all midi devices that route midi to each other and the instruments that follow and you can freely convert between midi and cv signals with the midi to cv player devices as well. are you saying there's not point in having vst midi out without graphical cable routing for midi signals like audio and cv?
Yes, I'm saying that Players without dedicated "MIDI" wires feel like a stopgap measure. Requiring a third party CV Player Tap to send one instrument's player data to a completely different instrument/player stack reflects this.

MIDI routing in the rack is a feature request that far precedes my usage of Reason, so I don't think I'm proposing any new expectations here.

• Information