Keeping a standard with waveforms/wavetables

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
scratchnsnifff

11 Mar 2019

So Iv suggested a sort of normalization modifier with Europa in a previous post.
But I was thinking that it almost makes more sense to auto normalize the tables.

Idk if anyone can confirm, but when you throw samples into Europa. The waveform looks and sounds very thin/weak. I mean this in a very broad sense.

If you take even some of the added FSB wavetables you will see what I mean

I believe the table that is entitled complex has this weirdness going on.

If Europa would have a set standard with how loud each table is played, users could save a modifier slot. Workarounds for this type of “issue” is to use the hard or soft clip.

Also, would it make sense to see a new crossfade mode that uses the same amount of crossfade for env 3-4
Does anyone else find that it’s sometimes hard to have an LFO on the shape knob? Sometimes even with the stock tables I find that you have to have a very low modulation amount. I think this could be solved by having a different and lesser crossfade mode.
Just some thoughts :)
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

11 Mar 2019

I agree. I’ve searched everywhere for wave cycle normalization but haven’t found anything practical.

Besides keeping amplitude consistent, another benefit would be that, if 2 wavetables could be normalized, the dynamics of one wave could be extracted and “imprinted” on another wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyklane

11 Mar 2019

Well, if you’re talking strictly normalization where we bring the highest peak up to digital 0dBFS, then yes this would be awesome because we would at least have a starting point....however, what I think would be even more useful is an encode/decode process similar to Dolby A/B/C or dBX noise reduction schemes that you’ll see on cassette decks, 4-8 track cassette multi trackers as well as some reel-to-reel decks (although the best and newest 2” used Dolby SR and the old ones used dedicated Dolby A cards )

That would allow a subjectively similar loudness while still keeping the proper dynamics in the wavetable....as you know sometimes wavetables actual volume and certainly perceived volume is drastically altered by the harmonic structure of the waveforms themselves.

Would be interested to see this implemented!
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

• Information