Copy and paste a bus between projects

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

08 Mar 2019

I've got a bus which through which I routed vocals in a track, and the effects chain for the bus is extremely complex. I want to copy this bus into another project so I can reuse the vocal effects, but when I paste the device into the new project it pastes it as a mix channel rather than a bus. How can I paste it as a bus instead?

MarkTarlton

08 Mar 2019

a work around would be to save your effects chain inside a combinator.

ScuzzyEye

08 Mar 2019

Is this an insert effect?

You should be able to create the bus, and select all and drag the devices from the channel over to the bus.

You can also expand the programmer for the insert, and save the whole chain as a .cmb (Combinator) patch, and load it in any Combinator, Audio Track, Mix Channel, or Bus. And not even have to have both projects open at the same time.

mashers

08 Mar 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
08 Mar 2019
a work around would be to save your effects chain inside a combinator.
That's not a bad idea. I could just break out the insert FX chain the input/output of the combi. I'll consider it, thanks.
ScuzzyEye wrote:
08 Mar 2019
Is this an insert effect?
It's a fairly hefty rack's worth of effects which split the input into several signals, which are then routed variously through Neptunes doing pitch and formant shifting, vocoders, delays, reverbs, compression and limiting. It's a whole vocal effects bus which I intend to use repeatedly through an album to create a consistent vocal tone.
ScuzzyEye wrote:
08 Mar 2019
You should be able to create the bus, and select all and drag the devices from the channel over to the bus.
Will that wire them in, or leave them connected to the channel?
ScuzzyEye wrote:
08 Mar 2019
You can also expand the programmer for the insert, and save the whole chain as a .cmb (Combinator) patch, and load it in any Combinator, Audio Track, Mix Channel, or Bus. And not even have to have both projects open at the same time.
That's probably easier...

ScuzzyEye

08 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
08 Mar 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
08 Mar 2019
Will that wire them in, or leave them connected to the channel?
Yeah, it probably would leave everything connected. So you'd have to re-wire the input/output of the chain. Probably some combination of Shift+Alt+Control would make it do the right thing, but I don't know off the top of my head. :)

mashers

08 Mar 2019

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions :) I think since I'm going to be reusing this setup a lot it makes sense to move everything to a combi, save this as a combi patch and then I can just add it to any rack and break out the insert fx for the vocal bus to route in/out of this combi. Cheers :)

LudvigC
Reason Studios

20 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
08 Mar 2019
I've got a bus which through which I routed vocals in a track, and the effects chain for the bus is extremely complex. I want to copy this bus into another project so I can reuse the vocal effects, but when I paste the device into the new project it pastes it as a mix channel rather than a bus. How can I paste it as a bus instead?
A bus IS a mix channel!

Or rather, a mix channel, with nothing routed into into it, becomes a bus as soon as you assign a channel to it.

If you click the Output section at the bottom of a mixer channel strip, you will see the Bus menu. It will contain "New Output Bus", any busses already in use and a submenu called "All channels". If you select a channel from that submenu it becomes a bus.

Clear?

/ LudvigC

mashers

20 Mar 2019

LudvigC wrote:
20 Mar 2019
mashers wrote:
08 Mar 2019
A bus IS a mix channel!

Or rather, a mix channel, with nothing routed into into it, becomes a bus as soon as you assign a channel to it.

If you click the Output section at the bottom of a mixer channel strip, you will see the Bus menu. It will contain "New Output Bus", any busses already in use and a submenu called "All channels". If you select a channel from that submenu it becomes a bus.

Clear?

/ LudvigC
Oh that totally worked. Thanks! :)

• Information