Audio "gate"

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mashers

03 Mar 2019

Now this is a bit confusing to me, so please bear with :lol:

I'm setting up a combi which includes three NN-XTs with the same patch. They are played by a Distributor:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... stributor/

This means that if a single note is played, only the first NN-XT will play. If two notes are played, the first and second NN-XTs will play. If three notes are played, all three NN-XTs are played.

Now, the first NN-XT (the "main" one) is fed into the main input of a ring modulator. The other two NN-XTs are mixed and then fed into the sidechain of the ring mod. This means that when I play chords, the sound is ring modulated depending on which notes I play. This works very nicely, but the issue I'm having is that I want to set the wet/dry mix of the ring mod all the way wet so I get the maximum effect. This means that when I play a single note, I don't hear anything because the sound is unmodulated (and thus totally dry).

The solution I am considering is splitting the "main" NN-XT's audio, routing one output to the ring mod, and the other output into a mixer. Then mixing in the wet output of the ring mod. But when the ring mod is outputting, I want it to gate the output of the NN-XT so you only hear the modulated version.

I hope this makes sense, and that theres a way to do it :D

mashers

03 Mar 2019

One solution I am considering is using an audio switch:

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... cv-switch/

Then if I can get a CV signal when the ring mod is outputting, I can use that to signal to the switch that it should change over to the ring mod rather than the normal dry single note.

Loque

03 Mar 2019

This can be a bit tricky. A few solutions to control devices by a gate signals via Combinator programming are:
* https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... layer-tap/
* Use Alig8or to grab a gate signal within the Combinator
* Thor to send signals out of its back
* probably lot of more solutions...
Reason12, Win10

mashers

03 Mar 2019

Thanks dude! I'll have a look at those options. I actually came back to post one of my own too :) Luckily for me, the Distributor device works by sending out CV note and gate signals to other devices. So I connected a spider CV splitter to the output of the channel on the Distributor which should act as the gate and split it. One split went to the device being controlled, and the other I routed into the CV input for the ring mod's wet/dry mix. It did work in that I could then play single notes (totally dry) and audibly ring modulated chords. It didn't quite sound right and I now realise this is because the CV signal is "analogue", so was probably not turning the wet/dry all the way wet. But now I know I can get a CV signal, I can probably route that into a CV controlled audio switch (there's a free RE which does this).

I don't know what's more fun - connecting hardware together, or wiring up obscure combinations of devices in Reason to make it do things it's not supposed to do :p

Loque

03 Mar 2019

mashers wrote:
03 Mar 2019
So I connected a spider CV splitter to the output of the channel on the Distributor which should act as the gate and split it.
Yea, things can be so easy :-D Just overlooked that...
Reason12, Win10

mashers

03 Mar 2019

Loque wrote:
03 Mar 2019
Yea, things can be so easy :-D Just overlooked that...
Heh, well if I wasn't using the Distributor then I'd be looking at one of the other solutions ;)

guitfnky

03 Mar 2019

not entirely sure I understand what you’re looking to do, but it’s Sunday and I don’t like to wear my thinking pants too long on Sundays, so that’s on me... 😆

but if you’re looking to trigger a gate with audio from another source (sort of sidechaining the gate), there are a few ways you can do it. the Alligator method Loque mentioned works, but it’s a little tricky to set up and can be a bit finicky to get good results if you want a quick attack. I’m doing this with a new song I’m working on, and I ended up needing to run the results through a pretty aggressive tape saturation plugin to get good results with a fast attack (essentially masking the clicks and pops that are there with a more analog sounding distortion).

another way you can do it is with the Softube Dyna-Mite RE, if you have it, or if you’re willing to spend a bit (I think it’s $100? could be less now...been a while). put that on the track you want to gate, and route a copy of the audio you’re using to trigger it to the sidechain. then just set your gate settings on the front. this way sounds better, but the attack and release aren’t nearly as fast as if you use the Alligator. the other downside is that it’s just not a very straightforward device. not terrible, but if you’re not familiar with it, it can be a little confusing at first.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

mashers

03 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
03 Mar 2019
not entirely sure I understand what you’re looking to do, but it’s Sunday and I don’t like to wear my thinking pants too long on Sundays, so that’s on me... 😆

but if you’re looking to trigger a gate with audio from another source (sort of sidechaining the gate), there are a few ways you can do it. the Alligator method Loque mentioned works, but it’s a little tricky to set up and can be a bit finicky to get good results if you want a quick attack. I’m doing this with a new song I’m working on, and I ended up needing to run the results through a pretty aggressive tape saturation plugin to get good results with a fast attack (essentially masking the clicks and pops that are there with a more analog sounding distortion).

another way you can do it is with the Softube Dyna-Mite RE, if you have it, or if you’re willing to spend a bit (I think it’s $100? could be less now...been a while). put that on the track you want to gate, and route a copy of the audio you’re using to trigger it to the sidechain. then just set your gate settings on the front. this way sounds better, but the attack and release aren’t nearly as fast as if you use the Alligator. the other downside is that it’s just not a very straightforward device. not terrible, but if you’re not familiar with it, it can be a little confusing at first.
Yeah I think you've got the gist of what I'm trying to do. Only the gate should be the inverse of what I think you're describing, where one signal cuts off the other. I got it working in this particular instance, but I'll bear other suggestions in mind for future scenarios :)

• Information