tape plugin azimuth (or, how to achieve stereo in mono, I guess?)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

02 Mar 2019

so I’m working on a new idea and decide to slap a Satin Tape Machine plugin on the end of the chain to mess around, and I’m fiddling with the Azimuth setting in the Repro Head(s) section... weird stuff is happening to the highs, but it sounds cool. I decided to flip it into mono, and at first it just sounds different (as mono tends to do), but then when I start moving the Azimuth around, I’m realizing it’s affecting the stereo image...even though it’s in mono... like, I can hear some haas-type phase-y stuff going on or something and it’s really cool, but totally caught me off guard.

I have had some limited exposure to using tape in a real studio, but nowhere near this in-depth (never even heard of Azimuth until I got this plugin)...

so, can anyone explain, in layman’s terms what’s going on with this setting that would cause mono playback to seem like there’s something happening with the stereo image?
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

ScuzzyEye

03 Mar 2019

How are you creating the mono?

The azimuth setting "twists" the head so the angle of pickup doesn't match the angle of recording. So there's some comb filtering that happens. Satin simulates a stereo head, so the combing will be different on the left vs. right channels because one picks up slightly ahead of the other when the head is out of perpendicular alignment, and will have different combing characteristics.

Adding slight, and different, comb filtering to each channel is the starting point of a stereo reverb effect.

guitfnky

03 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
03 Mar 2019

The azimuth setting "twists" the head so the angle of pickup doesn't match the angle of recording. So there's some comb filtering that happens. Satin simulates a stereo head, so the combing will be different on the left vs. right channels because one picks up slightly ahead of the other when the head is out of perpendicular alignment, and will have different combing characteristics.

Adding slight, and different, comb filtering to each channel is the starting point of a stereo reverb effect.
interesting...it’s cool how so many slight differences in the mechanics result in weird sounds. 👍🏼

I’m using a factory soundbank combi that sums to mono (I think it also lets you flip the stereo image—it was mentioned in one of PH’s mix tips videos, I think). I’m guessing if I used a single speaker for mono, I wouldn’t experience the same effect. may have to try that, out of curiosity.

selig
RE Developer

05 Mar 2019

guitfnky wrote:
03 Mar 2019
ScuzzyEye wrote:
03 Mar 2019

interesting...it’s cool how so many slight differences in the mechanics result in weird sounds. 👍🏼

I’m using a factory soundbank combi that sums to mono (I think it also lets you flip the stereo image—it was mentioned in one of PH’s mix tips videos, I think). I’m guessing if I used a single speaker for mono, I wouldn’t experience the same effect. may have to try that, out of curiosity.
I doubt it, since there can be no stereo effect in a mono signal. Yes, you'll still hear changes when in mono with an azimuth change, but it won't be "stereo".

Wondering what the creative applications are for a mis-aligned azimuth setting that would make sense for a tape simulator?
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

05 Mar 2019

selig wrote:
05 Mar 2019
guitfnky wrote:
03 Mar 2019

I doubt it, since there can be no stereo effect in a mono signal. Yes, you'll still hear changes when in mono with an azimuth change, but it won't be "stereo".

Wondering what the creative applications are for a mis-aligned azimuth setting that would make sense for a tape simulator?
yeah, I tried running it through my grotbox and as expected, it didn’t sound any different than you’d expect; just your average, ho-hum mono signal—nothing to see here, folks.

the azimuth setting seems to mainly affect the high frequency response—at least in the Satin plug. not sure if that qualifies for your definition of “creative application”, but that’s what I was using it for.

• Information