razor tool not working

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
carllackey

02 Mar 2019

i created an audio track and went to cut it up, but when i choose the razor tool and click where i want the part to be cut, nothing happens? is there something i'm missing?

PhillipOrdonez

02 Mar 2019

Yes must be missing something.

Did you make sure the snap is off? If it is on, it is making the cut at the nearest grid point and not exactly where you are, and that may be far away if you are zoomed in.

guitfnky

02 Mar 2019

yeah, what Phillip said...can't tell you how many times I've tried to cut something and let loose a string of expletives because I've forgotten to turn off the snap. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

eusti

02 Mar 2019

Kind of related: Can we assign a key command to turn snap on / off? That would save so much time!!!

D.

WongoTheSane

02 Mar 2019

eusti wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Kind of related: Can we assign a key command to turn snap on / off? That would save so much time!!!

D.
It's the S key! Without Control or Alt or anything :D

eusti

02 Mar 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Ä
It's the S key! Without Control or Alt or anything :D
Really? Oh, man... I could have saved so much time!!! 🤪 Thank you!

D.

napynap

03 Mar 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
02 Mar 2019
Yes must be missing something.

Did you make sure the snap is off? If it is on, it is making the cut at the nearest grid point and not exactly where you are, and that may be far away if you are zoomed in.
Good Point PhillipOrdonez!

That made me think...
If Snap would work consistently with clip/grid point rules, it would have followed the instructions of the user and cut closest to the Snap point of the requested cut. It would be the wrong cut, but at least would have shown that the process works. This could have allowed the user to find the correct solution by changing the clip/grid point. Ahhh, but so many more 'important' things that Props needs to fix first...
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

gullum

03 Mar 2019

napynap wrote:
03 Mar 2019

Good Point PhillipOrdonez!

That made me think...
If Snap would work consistently with clip/grid point rules, it would have followed the instructions of the user and cut closest to the Snap point of the requested cut. It would be the wrong cut, but at least would have shown that the process works. This could have allowed the user to find the correct solution by changing the clip/grid point. Ahhh, but so many more 'important' things that Props needs to fix first...
?

carllackey

03 Mar 2019

thank guys!

ScuzzyEye

03 Mar 2019

napynap wrote:
03 Mar 2019
That made me think...
That's what it does. But when you're zoomed in real close trying to make a precise cut, it looks like nothing happened. That's because the nearest snap point is off screen.

I think their self-scaling grid snap is supposed to help with that, but the finest it goes is 1/128. When you're trying to cut right at the start of audio you're often still in closer than that.

• Information