Reason 10 $100 Off, This mean Reason 11 by end of April ;)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
guitfnky

06 Mar 2019

yeah, snark aside, saving manually is something everyone using a computer for important work should burn into their very soul.

learning the hard way sucks, but at least you learn quickly once you’ve lost a big chunk of progress once or twice.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

dezma

06 Mar 2019

EdGrip wrote:
06 Mar 2019
So you need 2 files:
- the file you manually save
- the backup file which autosaves regularly.
Exactly.

Obviously I do know Ctrl+S, but unlike using any office application, while using reason most of time my left hand is on my midi keyobard, and right hand either on the mouse or also on midi controller. So -at least for me personally- Ctrl+S is a bit of a pain and breaks my workflow. For others, it might not be an issue at all. Autosave should be an option anyway, if you don't need it just disable it.

sleep1979

06 Mar 2019

Why do we have so many version upgrades so often ? and why do we want them now? id rather them take two years and come back with the whole lot done , apple took ages to update logic , of course its about money but seriously no version 11 is needed until next year sorting the vst thing out will do for now , do some of you lot just love spending money saying that i need to save up the £169 its gonna cost me in the sales 😂 as i only have intro atm

boingy

06 Mar 2019

A smart autosave would only save the differences since the last proper save, kinda like saving the undo list.

A simple autosave would give us the option to autosave every X minutes and to choose how many copies to keep before it starts overwriting them.

kinkujin

07 Mar 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Why do we have so many version upgrades so often ? and why do we want them now? id rather them take two years and come back with the whole lot done , apple took ages to update logic , of course its about money but seriously no version 11 is needed until next year sorting the vst thing out will do for now , do some of you lot just love spending money saying that i need to save up the £169 its gonna cost me in the sales 😂 as i only have intro atm
Well, many folk are pining for core improvements to the program. For me, as I'm a bit of a newb and quite satisfied, I'm not looking for features but only improvements to how Reason runs on newish machines, MACs in my case. So, yeah, get the VST thing sorted but then balance out new features with improvements that are needed. Only my opinion and wishes from where I sit. I'm not into spending for the sake of but will pony up for improvements!

toddbooster

07 Mar 2019

Gotta say, a smart autosave with versioning is about more than just crash recovery. Sometimes you want to go back in time to before yesterday when you added all that crap you thought sounded cool, but really didn't. Add in mix recall too, while we're at it. And before someone says it, saving a new file version manually before making any changes is just so... old fashioned, and not in the quaint way.

CookieClimber

12 Mar 2019

maybe 10.3 is the performance fix they want to roll out for every user and then shortly after that they release v 11 with more features for a fee

splangie

12 Mar 2019

I still like the Save As _coolcrap001. It ends up something like _coolcrap002c and then finally back as original0013a.

craven

13 Mar 2019

splangie wrote:
12 Mar 2019
I still like the Save As _coolcrap001. It ends up something like _coolcrap002c and then finally back as original0013a.
I do the same. However, with large projects containing a lot of samples, this eats up my disk space faster than Chrome eats up RAM.
Of course one could always delete the in-between saves later on, but I like to keep them.
:ugeek:

splangie

13 Mar 2019

craven wrote:
13 Mar 2019
splangie wrote:
12 Mar 2019
I do the same. However, with large projects containing a lot of samples, this eats up my disk space faster than Chrome eats up RAM.
Of course one could always delete the in-between saves later on, but I like to keep them.
Yeah, they can take alot of space fast. There are these. But not practical for everyone -
TapeHell.jpg
TapeHell.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 1805 times

pushedbutton

27 Mar 2019

Being able to save alternate versions would be nice. I often get to a point where I'm happy with the general structure but want to take a chance on trying something (or being very drunk) without having to lose my original idea. It's no big deal to create a copy but a way to save a little storage space and have projects that branch might come in handy now and again.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

telecode101

28 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
01 Mar 2019
Alkua wrote:
28 Feb 2019
Reason 10 $100 Off and Reason 10 upgrade $30 Off.

I think by end of April the new version of Reason will on beta.
10.3 -> April
11 -> Sept/Oct
So what are we saying here? If you buy into the Reason ecosystem now, you will get 10.3 update for free, but you will have shell out more $ to upgrade to 11.x towards the end of 2019?

antic604

28 Mar 2019

telecode101 wrote:
28 Mar 2019
So what are we saying here? If you buy into the Reason ecosystem now, you will get 10.3 update for free, but you will have shell out more $ to upgrade to 11.x towards the end of 2019?
Yes. Although you won't "have to" :)

And hi from KvR :D

rlared

28 Mar 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Version updates are sexy and generate a bunch of sales probably. And personally, yes I get great enjoyment out of buying and trying new things for my studio. I could do with less of that actually. . . but the GAS is strong.

groggy1

28 Mar 2019

If they release Reason 11 on the same day as Reason 10.3, my head would explode.

Data_Shrine

28 Mar 2019

I think they are making a sale before the 10.3 update release.

R11 might be around later in the year, but unless the GUI will be updated to work with Retina screens resolutions, I'm not interested, sadly.

jlgrimes

28 Mar 2019

Alkua wrote:
28 Feb 2019

Maybe a sneak peek.

I'd guess a major release at September at the earliest.

That said fixing the CPU issue probably gives them more bandwidth to do many projects.

jlgrimes

28 Mar 2019

Data_Shrine wrote:
28 Mar 2019
I think they are making a sale before the 10.3 update release.

R11 might be around later in the year, but unless the GUI will be updated to work with Retina screens resolutions, I'm not interested, sadly.
I'm guessing they realize the GUI needs some love by now.

I'm guessing the GUI update might also force them to redesign their legacy devices.

NN19 with a new GUI, would be very underwhelming if they just made it bigger. They probably could integrate the Sample editor.

I'm guessing they would incorporate the ideas from Drum Sequencer, and Uumph into a new Redrum.

If they modernized their devices with the GUI update, it would be huge.

jlgrimes

28 Mar 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Minor updates are to please existing users.

Reason users are the biggest marketers of Reason. Keep them happy, they will try to convince others to try Reason.

Reason is in a weird position as most veteran users also own other DAWS as Reason 10 years ago was marketed as more of an accessory program to be used with another DAW. Which mean 2 year updates with no minor updates could bore users into going back to other DAWS which probably would get an update by that time.

sleep1979

28 Mar 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
28 Mar 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Minor updates are to please existing users.

Reason users are the biggest marketers of Reason. Keep them happy, they will try to convince others to try Reason.
Even though im a intro users the main program still gets updated for me so ill be getting 10.3im just stuck with 16 tracks and without grain and malstrom and a few effects missing which is fine atm , so if that £169 upgrade deal is always avalable I’ll jump on that for version 11, but i wont always feel the need to jump on every little update if its not addressing all the issues im having ( which is currently none ( maybe id like 4 more tracks and grain that’s probably it ) u know all the things people want done they could address every detail in a year and a half ( but then it would all be done ✅ Nothing more for anyone to pay for for a while , so why not adress it all in maybe 4 or 5 updates , ( more flow )bthis is how buisness work. Still props are decent guys but its still a buissness , we would probably all be the same otherwise we would go out of buissness i guess i dont know im not a buissnessman lol

antic604

29 Mar 2019

jlgrimes wrote:
28 Mar 2019
I'm guessing they realize the GUI needs some love by now.

I'm guessing the GUI update might also force them to redesign their legacy devices.
I don't think they need to redesign legacy devices - just re-draw them with high-res assets. One of the pride points of Reason is backwards compatibility and they wouldn't want to break that. If anything, we'll see NN-XT^2 as a paid RE in Props shop :)

What we know by now is that all REs were required to contain high-res assets (and even vector 3D models) and are ready for 4K, that they have software framework to display the REs - including all the recent Props devices - in high resolution, independent of the platform. Just take a look at Props RE device announcements since Europa (both Umpfs, QNG, Reason Drums, Reason Electric Bass) and compare the sharpness of the devices in YT videos to what we get in the Rack... What they only need to do is bring Reason itself up to speed. I'm sure it's coming, but I'm not expecting this to happen in v11. I'd love to be taken by surprise, though :)

kitekrazy

30 Mar 2019

Alkua wrote:
28 Feb 2019

The usual "it's on sale, there must be a new version coming out". I guess you missed how competitive the DAW market really is.

When developers start charging it's users for new versions only after a couple of updates it's time to supporting them. Tracktion does this. Cakewalk made a habit of this from Sonar 3 on.

So many developers have a sale almost every week. (Waves, EW, Izotope) Assuming a new version coming out is rare, If you don't understand that then you are living under a rock or spending more time creating music.

boingy

30 Mar 2019

kitekrazy wrote:
30 Mar 2019
Alkua wrote:
28 Feb 2019

The usual "it's on sale, there must be a new version coming out". I guess you missed how competitive the DAW market really is.

When developers start charging it's users for new versions only after a couple of updates it's time to supporting them. Tracktion does this. Cakewalk made a habit of this from Sonar 3 on.

So many developers have a sale almost every week. (Waves, EW, Izotope) Assuming a new version coming out is rare, If you don't understand that then you are living under a rock or spending more time creating music.
Except that, based on previous release schedules, Reason 11 is "about due".

And no need to be rude m8. :roll:

esselfortium

30 Mar 2019

antic604 wrote:
29 Mar 2019
If anything, we'll see NN-XT^2 as a paid RE in Props shop :)
A sampler is only as good as the content available for it, so if they make a successor to NN-XT I would expect it to be bundled with Reason (and possibly even released as a VST like Europa was) to encourage more widespread use and development for it, rather than drastically limiting its audience by making it a separate addon.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

antic604

30 Mar 2019

esselfortium wrote:
30 Mar 2019
antic604 wrote:
29 Mar 2019
If anything, we'll see NN-XT^2 as a paid RE in Props shop :)
A sampler is only as good as the content available for it, so if they make a successor to NN-XT I would expect it to be bundled with Reason (and possibly even released as a VST like Europa was) to encourage more widespread use and development for it, rather than drastically limiting its audience by making it a separate addon.
Perhaps, but the again different strokes and all that... For me NN-19 is enough and I'd prefer to get something else in a upgrade than a sampler - for example a physical modelling synth, or an effect like StutterEdit or similar.

• Information