Reason intro limitations

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sleep1979

27 Feb 2019

This is almost a full program thats just missing some effects instruments and refill compatibility , but with all features of the program and the rest can be made up with vst etc , so the only limitation here is really 16 tracks , so what im asking here is do any of you have any ways around that 16 track limitation? For example one redrum has 10 stereo tracks that can be outputted to 10 mix channels so thats ten sample tracks for drums or whatever on one track, also u can make a combinator and link up many different vsts in one linking chains of effects etc on one track , but they all play the same thing in the same octave right? Or Is there a way around that ? Has anyone else found any other way of stretching the limitations bar upgrading to full ( which i may do at some point if its ever £99 again but all the extra synths is not a pull for me so it would only be the track count , so what im asking u guys is ways to stretch it , which is easier in reason than for example ableton thanks people

ScuzzyEye

27 Feb 2019

In the Combinator you can limit the note range, so you can use different parts of the keyboard to trigger different contained instruments. Then you can also transpose (±3 octaves) that range to cover something more appropriate.

boingy

27 Feb 2019

You could always treat it like an old skool 4 track cassette portastudio and mix down several tracks onto a single track then erase the original ones to free them up. You never know, you might find it a liberating thing to do compared with those of us who can't bear to delete all the permanently muted tracks in our songs.

CloudsOfSound

27 Feb 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
27 Feb 2019
This is almost a full program thats just missing some effects instruments and refill compatibility , but with all features of the program and the rest can be made up with vst etc , so the only limitation here is really 16 tracks...
Reason Intro has certainly become a much more usable product than the previous "lite" versions, like Essentials.
Still, you don't know what your missing until you get the full version.
I'm speaking from experience, as I used the Intro for a couple of days before upgrading to the full version.

I'd say that the Europa Synth (As VSTi), Grain Sample Manipulator, Radical Piano, Humana Vocal Ensemble, Neptune Pitch Adjuster and the Synchronous Effect Modulator warrants the full upgrade alone, and then you have all the other goodness that makes Reason a joy to work in:

- Pulverizer
- BV512 Vocoder
- The Echo
- Alligator
- Support for ReWire

This is just to name a few. And given the sad state of Reason's support for VST plugins right now, I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone that base their work primarily on the use of VST's.

If this is the case, you'd be much better off using another host and use Reason via ReWire, which demands a full version to function.
Also, the sound banks shouldn't be underestimated, they're really great.

I understand that not everyone have the funds to upgrade to the full version, but speaking as one that recently did upgrade, I really recommend doing it. It's two different worlds of Reason.

🤘
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

sleep1979

27 Feb 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
27 Feb 2019
sleep1979 wrote:
27 Feb 2019
This is almost a full program thats just missing some effects instruments and refill compatibility , but with all features of the program and the rest can be made up with vst etc , so the only limitation here is really 16 tracks...
Reason Intro has certainly become a much more usable product than the previous "lite" versions, like Essentials.
Still, you don't know what your missing until you get the full version.
I'm speaking from experience, as I used the Intro for a couple of days before upgrading to the full version.

I'd say that the Europa Synth (As VSTi), Grain Sample Manipulator, Radical Piano, Humana Vocal Ensemble, Neptune Pitch Adjuster and the Synchronous Effect Modulator warrants the full upgrade alone, and then you have all the other goodness that makes Reason a joy to work in:

- Pulverizer
- BV512 Vocoder
- The Echo
- Alligator
- Support for ReWire

This is just to name a few. And given the sad state of Reason's support for VST plugins right now, I honestly wouldn't recommend it to anyone that base their work primarily on the use of VST's.

If this is the case, you'd be much better off using another host and use Reason via ReWire, which demands a full version to function.
Also, the sound banks shouldn't be underestimated, they're really great.

I understand that not everyone have the funds to upgrade to the full version, but speaking as one that recently did upgrade, I really recommend doing it. It's two different worlds of Reason.

🤘

i have syncronous and a few rack extensions ( like polar , reason drum kits etc ) and a few vsti ( like diva ) its seriously only the track count i do not need all those plug ins and i dont use the factory barely if ever , thanks everyone else for the ideas

dan_g

28 Feb 2019

sleep1979 wrote:
27 Feb 2019
[...] limitations bar upgrading to full ( which i may do at some point if its ever £99 again but all the extra synths is not a pull for me so it would only be the track count , so what im asking u guys is ways to stretch it , which is easier in reason than for example ableton thanks people
just seen a facebook post from props. the reason update is down to 99 until march 31

Edit:

it seems you need another upgrade path to update from intro: £199
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/pro ... introlite/
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 12 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

New Release: https://open.spotify.com/track/5mQ1XEQtZcVeFVfZvcS5kw

sleep1979

28 Feb 2019

Its £169 and i havent got the money at the moment, im not in a rush 16 tracks is fine when you can put 10 sample tracks on one track mix them out to 10 seperarate. Mix channels and layer as many synths as u want ( albeit ) playing the same thing in one combinator track , upgrading gets me world instruments grain and neptune , a piano rack extension and a few more effects that i can live without , oh and refills which i dont use much anymore , max track limit is all i would upgrade for ,

sleep1979

06 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
27 Feb 2019
In the Combinator you can limit the note range, so you can use different parts of the keyboard to trigger different contained instruments. Then you can also transpose (±3 octaves) that range to cover something more appropriate.
screenshots on how to do this ? thanks

ScuzzyEye

06 Mar 2019

I'm not in front of Reason right now, so I can't get a screen shot until later.

But see if I can get you started.

Open the Combinator programmer. Click on the instrument you want to limit the note range of. Under the picture of the keyboard is a bar that cover the whole range. You can move the ends of that to limit what notes that instrument will respond to. If the range is too low/high, there's a transpose control to the right. Repeat for each instrument, creating non-overlapping ranges with the bar, and transpose as needed.

sleep1979

06 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
06 Mar 2019
I'm not in front of Reason right now, so I can't get a screen shot until later.

But see if I can get you started.

Open the Combinator programmer. Click on the instrument you want to limit the note range of. Under the picture of the keyboard is a bar that cover the whole range. You can move the ends of that to limit what notes that instrument will respond to. If the range is too low/high, there's a transpose control to the right. Repeat for each instrument, creating non-overlapping ranges with the bar, and transpose as needed.
Thanks scuzz i wont be on reason tomorrow but ill give that a try tomorrow man thanks

ScuzzyEye

06 Mar 2019

Here's an extreme example with 3 instruments with non-overlapping ranges close together. You can also see Thor has been transposed down 3 octaves.
Combi3x.png
Combi3x.png (160.52 KiB) Viewed 2835 times

sleep1979

07 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Here's an extreme example with 3 instruments with non-overlapping ranges close together. You can also see Thor has been transposed down 3 octaves.

Combi3x.png
Thanks so much scuz 🙂

• Information