Multiple Computers with Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Popnfrsh24

24 Feb 2019

Hey there,

Still on my demo trial of Reason, but I am curious on how the licensing works with Reason. Are you able to have Reason on different computers? I was hoping I would be able to use reason on my laptop remotely if I am tired of sitting at my normal desk. I've maybe heard that you can have it installed on multiple computers but only have one instance running at a time? Is this true? Does this mean you always need an internet connection to run Reason?

Thanks,

Sorped

24 Feb 2019

Multiple installations with only one being used at any time works, yes! :)

Regarding the internet connection it's a bit more complicated. You can authorize your machine so you don't need internet connection, but if you get an RE subscription or if you're trialling REs, you will still need to connect to the internet. There is also the option of using the usb dongle, the name escapes me.
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

PhillipOrdonez

24 Feb 2019

Popnfrsh24 wrote:
24 Feb 2019
Hey there,

Still on my demo trial of Reason, but I am curious on how the licensing works with Reason. Are you able to have Reason on different computers? I was hoping I would be able to use reason on my laptop remotely if I am tired of sitting at my normal desk. I've maybe heard that you can have it installed on multiple computers but only have one instance running at a time? Is this true? Does this mean you always need an internet connection to run Reason?

Thanks,
You only need internet once to authorize your computer and then you can use it forever without internet. If you want to update, or buy new rack extensions, you will need the internet once again. As mentioned: in order to use trial or subscriptions, you need to be connected to the internet.

boingy

24 Feb 2019

As long as both PCs have an internet connection then you are fine. You can use either PC but not both at the same time. If you want to be off-line with one or both of them then you'll need to buy a USB "Ignition key" and use it as a dongle.

You can also authorize one and only one PC so that Reason will run without a dongle or an internet connection as long as you are not trialling or renting any Rack Extensions.

Personally I think PH should allow two authorisations per license. I can't be the only one who want to get away from the all-powerful desktop PC sometimes and just take the weedy laptop out on a day trip to get back to basics. I currently have Reason 5 and an old version of Cakewalk on the laptop for that purpose but it's a bit clunky and you can forget about Rewiring anything hehe....

Popnfrsh24

24 Feb 2019

Ah so does that mean since I'm just doing "Demo Mode", I haven't even been doing the 30 day trial then? Will I be able to export my songs if I activate the trial?

• Information