newbie combinator question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
carllackey

19 Feb 2019

i bought some re fills and loaded one up that was a combinator. i armed the track and hit record, but nothing recorded! it doesn't have an option to record to track like dr. octo rex. how do you record devices like combinators?

sonicbyte

19 Feb 2019

Hi,
If the combinator you load is an instrument it should appear also associated with a track in the sequencer, if the "active" arrow (see picture) in the rack is active you should be able to play, like any other instrument.

Hope it helps

carllackey

19 Feb 2019

how do i record it? when i hiy record it seems to be recording but when i stop there's nothing on the lane.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2019

As Sonicbyte said if the combinator functions as an instrument so try playing some Keys on your midi controller. Should play and record as if it was eg. A synth (if indeed there is a synth in the combi). Press on the show devices button on the combi to see what’s in there.
If on the other hand it’s a Run combi you need to show devices then you can draw in individual drum patterns or whatever in the Sequencer as you would do with Rex. You can’t automate the Run button.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

ScuzzyEye

19 Feb 2019

carllackey wrote:
19 Feb 2019
how do i record it? when i hiy record it seems to be recording but when i stop there's nothing on the lane.
This is an instrument Combinator? If so, it's expecting MIDI input. You would play notes on your keyboard, and they'd be recorded in the sequencer lane.

Dr. OctoRex, on the other hand, can generate MIDI sequences automatically so the Rex file plays the entire loop in order. But that's the exception, most instruments don't play themselves.

carllackey

19 Feb 2019

it's a drum combinator. so i guess i have to automate each device. thank you gentlemen.

Baylo

19 Feb 2019

You shouldn't have to automate anything. I think what we need to know is: how are you playing the combinator right now? Do you have some kind of MIDI input (keyboard or pads)? Or are you doing something like using the mouse to click on buttons/pads on the screen? Only the former will work "live".

Mark

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2019

Baylo wrote:
19 Feb 2019
You shouldn't have to automate anything. I think what we need to know is: how are you playing the combinator right now? Do you have some kind of MIDI input (keyboard or pads)? Or are you doing something like using the mouse to click on buttons/pads on the screen? Only the former will work "live".

Mark
If it’s a Run drum combinator then either he needs to automate the bypass/ mute button or automate the individual drum patterns in the Sequencer lane. Automating the individual drum machines holds all Reverb tails, delays etc intact. Automating bypass or mute cut the sound off. The Run button itself can’t be automated.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Baylo

19 Feb 2019

MrFigg wrote:
19 Feb 2019
Baylo wrote:
19 Feb 2019

Mark
If it’s a Run drum combinator then either he needs to automate the bypass/ mute button or automate the individual drum patterns in the Sequencer lane. Automating the individual drum machines holds all Reverb tails, delays etc intact. Automating bypass or mute cut the sound off. The Run button itself can’t be automated.
Good point! I see now that you actually made that point earlier, and yet somehow I missed it.

Mark

carllackey

20 Feb 2019

this is the one part of reason i can't seem to get my head around. you guys have clarified a few things i had problems with. as someone who is not familiar with this concept, i wonder why refill developers could'nt just have a record to track option?

• Information