Reason cache folder

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Molotovbeatz

16 Feb 2019

Hello,

Is there a way in the interface settings to change or to relocate the cache folder? I just noticed that the Reason cache folder in my C drive weights about 12GB now and this will become problematic because I have only 30 GB left on my drive and the cache keeps growing and growing.

Also what happens if I delete the content of the cache folder?

Thanks

SoulState

16 Feb 2019

Hi
Read this thread and all your queries will be answered :puf_wink:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7492939&p=239739&hi ... he#p239739
:reason:

Molotovbeatz

16 Feb 2019

SoulState wrote:
16 Feb 2019
Hi
Read this thread and all your queries will be answered :puf_wink:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7492939&p=239739&hi ... he#p239739
Thank you,

The thing is, I didn't see any option to move folder cache or to designate a drive for a folder cache in R10 Preferences. Perhaps you could make me a small screenshot where exactly it is I would be grateful. Cheers

SoulState

16 Feb 2019

Last edited by SoulState on 17 Feb 2019, edited 4 times in total.

Molotovbeatz

16 Feb 2019

Well I am on Windows 10 unfortunately. And I know where the R10 cache folder is, like I mentioned above it';s on my C:/ drive. I need to relocate that folder or tell Reason 10 to store the cache elsewhere and I don't see that option which means there is no option in Reason interface to choose a driver for a cache folder in Preferences. Unless someone knows where it is? Anyone?

SoulState

16 Feb 2019

:|
Last edited by SoulState on 17 Feb 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Molotovbeatz

16 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
08 Jan 2016
though it can be relocated/moved to any hard drive you want in Reason's Preferences...
This post is from 2016, was the option available back then and they deleted it after upgrading to Reason 10? I even checked the Preferences 5 times from tab to tab and I don't see anything related to cache

EnochLight

16 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
16 Feb 2019
EnochLight wrote:
08 Jan 2016
though it can be relocated/moved to any hard drive you want in Reason's Preferences...
This post is from 2016, was the option available back then and they deleted it after upgrading to Reason 10? I even checked the Preferences 5 times from tab to tab and I don't see anything related to cache
This has been an option under Reason since 6.0 (Reason 5.0 didn't record audio without being ran inside Record). Since 6.0, it can be accessed under Preferences => Advanced. Look at the bottom for the "Scratch disc folder" location. You can change it there.

It's usually best to keep this on the fastest drive your system has access to (which should be your main OS drive in a proper build).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

retreed
Competition Winner

16 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
16 Feb 2019
EnochLight wrote:
08 Jan 2016
It looks like all the files you are referring to are are saved in your windowsdrive:\username\AppData\... folder and there is no option to change that within Reason.
The behaviour is the same for most applications dumping stuff into that AppData folder but Reason most likely has the largest amount of data there.

I recommend to take the search engine of your choice and instead looking for a solution within Reason, use a solution within Windows by seaching for something like: "How to move Windows 10 user folders to another drive". There is also Youtube tutorials on how to do this. Backup your files before doing that.

Molotovbeatz

21 Feb 2019

I wrote a ticket to Properllerheads technical support and they answered me. Below the answer, maybe this also might help those who has the same issue and would like to relocate the cache folder.
Hi,

You can set which folder Reason will use as your scratch disk folder in Preferences/Advanced.
You can safely delete the old folder. When required, Reason will create new cache files in the new scratch disk folder location.

All the best,

Product Support
So Scratch folder in Preferences/Advanced is the cache folder. Support was correct, the cache folder rebuilt itself in the drive I designated.

EnochLight

21 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
21 Feb 2019
I wrote a ticket to Properllerheads technical support and they answered me. Below the answer, maybe this also might help those who has the same issue and would like to relocate the cache folder.
Hi,

You can set which folder Reason will use as your scratch disk folder in Preferences/Advanced.
You can safely delete the old folder. When required, Reason will create new cache files in the new scratch disk folder location.

All the best,

Product Support
So Scratch folder in Preferences/Advanced is the cache folder. Support was correct, the cache folder rebuilt itself in the drive I designated.
Right. That's why I told you to go for the Scratch Drive above. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Molotovbeatz

21 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2019

Yeah but Scratch folder does not say anything, I wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing before screwing up anything. They should rename it to cache folder and not scratch folder. This notation can confuse new users like me. Anyway I am glad that this was possible :mrgreen:

Thank you for all the help

EnochLight

21 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
21 Feb 2019
EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2019

Yeah but Scratch folder does not say anything, I wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing before screwing up anything. They should rename it to cache folder and not scratch folder. This notation can confuse new users like me. Anyway I am glad that this was possible :mrgreen:

Thank you for all the help
With the label "scratch disc", the nomenclature is more accurate. In the audio and video production world, this is a well-known term that most people are familiar with. "Cache" is more generic and is more commonly associated with computing in general. Anyway, glad you got things sorted! :thumbs_up:

ScuzzyEye

21 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
21 Feb 2019
They should rename it to cache folder and not scratch folder. This notation can confuse new users like me.
The only reason you think it should be called cache is because of other programs. Someone coming to a DAW for the first time, with no background in technology, would have a better guess at what "scratch" means than "cache". I propose all other DAWs rename their scratch space accordingly. :D

Molotovbeatz

22 Feb 2019

EnochLight wrote:
21 Feb 2019

With the label "scratch disc", the nomenclature is more accurate. In the audio and video production world, this is a well-known term that most people are familiar with. "Cache" is more generic and is more commonly associated with computing in general. Anyway, glad you got things sorted! :thumbs_up:

ScuzzyEye wrote:
21 Feb 2019

The only reason you think it should be called cache is because of other programs. Someone coming to a DAW for the first time, with no background in technology, would have a better guess at what "scratch" means than "cache". I propose all other DAWs rename their scratch space accordingly. :D
Learning something new every day, what the odd. Didn't even know about the term "Scratch" in DAW world. :geek:

• Information