Drag and drop in the Reason Rack

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Le Boeuf

15 Feb 2019

Hi guys, just to get it straight, there aint no way to move the racks around without flipping the rack and doing it with the cables?

Say i've created something like this:
Subtractor -> Eq -> Comp and wanted it to look like this: Subtractor -> Comp -> Eq

In most other DAWS you just drag the racks around, is there a way to do this in Reason the easy way?
Well maybe in Reason 11 :P :question:

buddard
RE Developer

15 Feb 2019

Le Boeuf wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Hi guys, just to get it straight, there aint no way to move the racks around without flipping the rack and doing it with the cables?

Subtractor -> Eq -> Comp and wanted it to look like this: Subtractor -> Comp -> Eq

In most other DAWS you just drag the racks around, is there a way to do this in Reason the easy way?
Yes! If you hold Shift when dragging, the routing will be changed automatically!

esselfortium

15 Feb 2019

buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Le Boeuf wrote:
15 Feb 2019

Yes! If you hold Shift when dragging, the routing will be changed automatically!
This is such a huge important feature and it's an absolute crime that there's no indicator of it whatsoever within the program. When you move a device there should be honking flashing siren lights telling you you can just shift-drag to update the routing automatically. How many hours have been wasted by people not knowing they can do this?
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

rcbuse
RE Developer

15 Feb 2019

Another cool thing you can do is select-drag a device and alt-shift to duplicate and insert/route it.

joeyluck

15 Feb 2019

esselfortium wrote:
15 Feb 2019
buddard wrote:
15 Feb 2019

This is such a huge important feature and it's an absolute crime that there's no indicator of it whatsoever within the program. When you move a device there should be honking flashing siren lights telling you you can just shift-drag to update the routing automatically. How many hours have been wasted by people not knowing they can do this?
Agreed. And we had this conversation before, but I still think that little hints throughout (which could be turned on/off) would serve more good than the tutorial window in its current state.

Something like this:

hold-shift.png
hold-shift.png (633.88 KiB) Viewed 779 times

esselfortium

15 Feb 2019

joeyluck wrote:
15 Feb 2019
esselfortium wrote:
15 Feb 2019

Agreed. And we had this conversation before, but I still think that little hints throughout (which could be turned on/off) would serve more good than the tutorial window in its current state.

Something like this:

hold-shift.png
Definitely agreed! That would be a thousand times more useful as a tutorial mode.
Sarah Mancuso

Le Boeuf

15 Feb 2019

Ahhh thanks man!

Glad im not the only one who'd missed this :D

Molotovbeatz

15 Feb 2019

Is it just me that when I SHIFT+DRAG the routings are empty? I mean no cables attached anywhere after using shift on the rack. What do you guys mean by "the routing will be changed automatically" ?

esselfortium

15 Feb 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Is it just me that when I SHIFT+DRAG the routings are empty? I mean no cables attached anywhere after using shift on the rack. What do you guys mean by "the routing will be changed automatically" ?
If you add a new device while holding shift, it will skip autorouting it to anything. If you move an existing device while holding shift, the routing will automatically update to connect it to what it's become adjacent to.
Sarah Mancuso

Molotovbeatz

15 Feb 2019

esselfortium wrote:
15 Feb 2019
Molotovbeatz wrote:
15 Feb 2019
If you add a new device while holding shift, it will skip autorouting it to anything. If you move an existing device while holding shift, the routing will automatically update to connect it to what it's become adjacent to.
Ahh so there is a difference between adding and moving devices with SHIFT. Thank you for the clarification

• Information