Mac upgrade questions ... 2019

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
kinkujin

21 Feb 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
21 Feb 2019
kinkujin wrote:
20 Feb 2019
Thanks CloudsOfSound. Pretty pleased with the price and looking forward to the upgrade.

I used to use a Windows setup and since trying out the Mac platform I will not be going back. I find tremendous value in a trouble free setup which so far my Apple experience has been. And to think that I just purchased a 2012 computer in 2019 and it's an upgrade, speaks volumes to me about value.

I appreciate all the advice and opinions on this thread.

Anyhow ... on with the music!
I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, and have held that certification for ten years or so, but I never use Windows or Microsoft based products outside of a job setting, unless physically forced to.

The more you know about the chaotic, stone-age based code base and components called Windows, the less you want to use it.
😜
I work on windows all day. At night, when I do get the chance to go into the studio, windows is the very last thing I want to see. hehe

dvdrtldg

21 Feb 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
19 Feb 2019
I think this demonstrates the benefit of using Mac's vs. PC's; the period of time that your devices remain useful and actually performs satisfactory, and the second-hand value, which is much higher on Apple Mac computers than on PC's.
Try selling a PC from 2012 today, and you're lucky if anyone will have it if you're giving it away, compared to a 2012 iMac or MacBook Pro, that's easy to get rid of for a good price.
That's true. I buy a new MacBook Pro every year because I can get a tax break on it at work. The new machine ends up costing me about two-thirds RRP. I can almost always sell the previous year's machine for about the same price, in fact one year I made a small profit

Also, I'm not a rabid fanatic about Mac vs Windows, both platforms have their pluses & minuses imo. But using both for music production (Windows at work, Mac at home) I can say Mac is a thousand times more reliable

sonicbyte

06 Jun 2019

Hi People,

I want to buy a new mac, a 2019 mac mini to be precise, so I could get a model like this:

3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
16GB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630
256GB SSD storage

For U$ 1499.-

My current setup is 2013 mac book pro with an i5 and 8gb, the latest Reason update works really well, but I want a performance improvement and more memory to work more comfortable with orchestral kontakt libraries, etc.

What do you think ?
Thank you

QVprod

06 Jun 2019

The 2018 Mac mini (there's no 2019) is plenty powerful and is said to rival the iMac Pro. I believe you should notice an improvement for sure. I have the i5 version and haven't hit it's limit yet.

reggie1979

06 Jun 2019

Pfffffffft, unless you fork out crazy cash for a new mac pro with a TB of ram and 2 usb ports, you can make music.

:lol:

sonicbyte

07 Jun 2019

QVprod wrote:
06 Jun 2019
The 2018 Mac mini (there's no 2019) is plenty powerful and is said to rival the iMac Pro. I believe you should notice an improvement for sure. I have the i5 version and haven't hit it's limit yet.
Thank you !

reggie1979

07 Jun 2019

EDIT, I have no idea what I was trying to do here, move along, move along........
Last edited by reggie1979 on 08 Jun 2019, edited 1 time in total.

jlgrimes

08 Jun 2019

kinkujin wrote:
08 Feb 2019
Hi all. I'm firmly planting my foot in Reason now. Very pleased to have found it.

I am running it on ancient hardware at the moment (current 10.2? I think). I use a 2008 MacPro with 32gig ram. I'm not having any issues but then again I've not completed anything yet either. Wondering about upgrading. Am curious as to what Mac users are using?

1) I have RE's - Complex-1, Synapse Legend and now Blamsoft Vk-2.
2) Also have Madrona Labs Aalto. VST.
3) Will eventually hook up my NI Komplete Kontrol controller and Maschine as well. Right now I'm running it standalone with a MacBook while I learn it.

Was thinking an iMac 2014 0r 2015 i7 with 16gig of ram? Or a MacMini 2014??

With these requirements, would anyone have any suggestions? I'm likely going to buy used. Also, not interested in Windows at all so keep that in mind. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I have an iMac 2015. It had the click and pop issues pre 10.4 but now it is much better.

That said my next PC will probably be Windows based.

I bought a gaming laptop last year for live performing. A solid device.

reggie1979

08 Jun 2019

Since the doze card has been played, I don't understand doze hate. It works very well here and this is a pretty old system (4770k)

• Information